EM doctors schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedrod

youtube ruined my apps
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
can anyone tell me what the schedule is like for EM doctors? like how many hours they work in a shift...how many days out of the month they work.....

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
can anyone tell me what the schedule is like for EM doctors? like how many hours they work in a shift...how many days out of the month they work.....

also, during fellowships, do the docs get paid lil bit more than residents or they get paid salaries that are normal...if you know what i mean by normal...

Do *you* know what you mean by "normal"?

Perhaps you should figure out if you like the specialty first.

For most private docs, a minimum is 12 12 hour shifts a month. This is extremely variable with groups working a variety of 8, 10 or 12 hour shifts, most work more than this. This does not account for outside meetings etc. Keep in mind this is usually a mix of days/evenings/nights, weekends and holidays.

I'm not sure what typical academics work.

Fellowship salaries are usually posted for whatever program you are interested. Keep in mind when looking at them, the higher salaried ones usually require you to pull shifts in the ER in addition to whatever fellowship requirements there are.

Try a search for more details.
Hope this helps.