EM electives (MS3/MS4)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Unch

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Forgive me for a question that's surely been flogged. It's just that I can't find a thread about this. Can someone point me to good (web) resources or old SDN threads about info/options for summer month EM electives? I'll be an MS3 in Ireland coming up and want to do all I can for summer electives in the US.

Second Q if anyone knows. Is the US 3-year EM residency considered (for job acquisition) equivalent to the 5-year FRCP-ER in Canada? Just wondering?

Members don't see this ad.

My best advice is go to http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/2997.html to find out what what schools have EM residencies (and therefore good med student electives in EM) You would then have to go to the website of each individual school to find out about their electives. Unfortunately a lot don't have much info online (you would have to email them) and many may not accept international students. As for FRCP-ER, maybe you could explain what that stands for. We do have combined EM/Internal Medicine programs and I think a new EM/Family Practice program was just started recently. I have no idea if that's what your talking about though.

Sorry, I'm probably not that much help but I hate to see unanswered questions, so I'm giving you my 2 cents.

You might also want to check out www.saem.org. They have a residency catalog for the different EM programs (most are 1-3, some 1-4 and some 2-4). The residency catalog has links to the program websites. You can generally access info about the program including the requirements and application procedure for away rotations for students that way.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup, FRCP-EM is right. That was my typo. Thanks, all, for the links.

Yup, FRCP-EM is right. That was my typo. Thanks, all, for the links.

Yeah, I think it is equivalent. Many specialties in Canada are a few years longer, probably due to semi-fallback from the British medicine days. However, as a foreign grad you also have to do your rural commitment for another 5 years somewhere in Canada (they have some fancier term for this though). I think you may be able to buy out of that in some circumstances but not sure the details of who can do that.

BTW, if you are looking to go back to canada, it may be a better idea for you to do your rotations there. As of this year, residencies in canada (with stricter restrictions in Ontario, I think) have set aside spots for IMGs so you are only competing for those spots with other IMGs. Sounds pretty cool. I don't know all the details so you may want to check on the canadian forum (I presume there is one). I thought I would mention it. A couple of my friends from the northern neighbor that matched this year were telling me about it.

Thanks trkd. You're right about the parallel match for IMGs in Canada and there are a very few spots specifically for international FRCP-EM candidates. It's just that when I graduate at 44, I'd rather do a 3 vs a 5 year residency if either will make me eligible for the same job pool in Canada. And I'm hoping I will have expunged the IMG label by the time I've done a US residency (I am a dual US/Canadian citizen).

As for real disadvantages in applying to the US match (for 3-year EM), I'm hoping again that as a US citizen who happened to go to a good school overseas, I'll not have too much grief. (I'll milk all the electives, letters, research as best I can).

You mentioned doing electives in Canada but if I'm aiming at a US residency, is this necessary or advisable?
Thx

Thanks trkd. You're right about the parallel match for IMGs in Canada and there are a very few spots specifically for international FRCP-EM candidates. It's just that when I graduate at 44, I'd rather do a 3 vs a 5 year residency if either will make me eligible for the same job pool in Canada. And I'm hoping I will have expunged the IMG label by the time I've done a US residency (I am a dual US/Canadian citizen).

As for real disadvantages in applying to the US match (for 3-year EM), I'm hoping again that as a US citizen who happened to go to a good school overseas, I'll not have too much grief. (I'll milk all the electives, letters, research as best I can).

You mentioned doing electives in Canada but if I'm aiming at a US residency, is this necessary or advisable?
Thx

I know the University of Tennessee Medical Center seems to have quite a few M.D.s from foreign schools in their EM residency. Might give that a look see.

I know the University of Tennessee Medical Center seems to have quite a few M.D.s from foreign schools in their EM residency. Might give that a look see.

A bunch of the New York Hospitals, especially the ones not in Manhattan (look at NY Methodist, Kings County, Maimonides) take a lot of grads from the Caribbean schools.

Which school are you at? We have an attending who teaches both here and in dublin. We have a number of Irish students every year rotate with us. PM me for info.

Thx

Oh, I see. Then forget what I said about doing rotations in Canada. Well, as a US-citizen who is an aussie med school graduate that matched this year, I can say that it really comes down to LORs and personality in my mind. US rotations are key. Then, apply inversely proportional to your Step 1 and 2 scores (low scores-apply to lots of schools, visa versa). Particularly, apply to some places where IMGs have had much luck in the past... NYC (biggest pool)and Detroit. Then there are random schools here and there. Check the www.emramatch.org site. They have listed the number of IMGs currently and the past 5 years for each school. Many of them aren't updated but it will give you an idea. But in the end, if you have a nice personality, good LORs and decent scores, you can get into most anywhere that likes you whether they have taken IMGs in the past or not. None of this is concrete but just my take on the situation. Good luck.

Oh, and one more thing. Just because you get your board certification in the US doesn't mean you can work as an attending in canada. Not that easy as I understand it. You have to have years of equivalency to their system and even then it is pretty difficult. I know one canadian who did residency in the states and is now working there because she can't work back home as an ED physician (at least not easily). Keep this in mind if you are determined to go back right after residency.