EM Form

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mandar

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PS was very hard. 10 times more harder than on AAMC tests.
BS was easy.
Verbal was moderate.
I have been getting 10 to 11 in PS on AAMC tests . But don't know what i am going to get on the real one. The real one was extremely calculation oriented.
Does anyone else has to say anything about EM Form.
I would be relieve if someone says that even they thought PS was hard.

Members don't see this ad.

Same here! PS was very hard for me. Somehow thought there was mostly physics...standing waves/diffraction/nuclear decay/...even chem was convoluted with physics!!!! Def the hardest PS ever taken. I usually used to finish everything in time...this time did not even finish the last 3...had to do last 3 in 10 minutes so did not read passages and went to discrete!!!!!

Verbal can't predict! I think my PS may have easily influenced my verbal...hopefully I still got around 8??

Bio was fairly easy...finished 15 minutes early so went over everthing again...

Well, I think there would be a huge curve on PS def....!!!!!!!!111

has said:
Same here! PS was very hard for me. Somehow thought there was mostly physics...standing waves/diffraction/nuclear decay/...even chem was convoluted with physics!!!! Def the hardest PS ever taken. I usually used to finish everything in time...this time did not even finish the last 3...had to do last 3 in 10 minutes so did not read passages and went to discrete!!!!!

Verbal can't predict! I think my PS may have easily influenced my verbal...hopefully I still got around 8??

Bio was fairly easy...finished 15 minutes early so went over everthing again...

Well, I think there would be a huge curve on PS def....!!!!!!!!111

What were the passages on in the PS? For instance, pressure, electrochemical cells, magnetic fields, crab nebula, waves and drums, freezing point depression and van'f hoff factors in ionic salts . . . anything similar?

NOPE!
Diffraction through a split; Water tower...water goes through a wall and back out...standing waves or heat capacity measurements...nuclear fission...two speakers and constructive/destructive waves...resistor coil used to heat up something...few general chem passages! ALMOST all were physics passages and not simple physics either!

Members don't see this ad :)
God I can't even remember right now. The drums was my first and I had the crab nebula too. I've got the recognition going, but my recall has shut down for the day. :D

has said:
NOPE!
Diffraction through a split; Water tower...water goes through a wall and back out...standing waves or heat capacity measurements...nuclear fission...two speakers and constructive/destructive waves...resistor coil used to heat up something...few general chem passages! ALMOST all were physics passages and not simple physics either!

don't worry. in april I thought I had bombed PS. 8 physics and 3 g-chem and calculation heavy. If you didn't know how to work with numbers well, you would fail this section. I came out with 10 while expecting an 8. VR got me last time. It seems it did this time, but you can never tell. Let the chips fall where they may.

I think for the water, it said that it was a closed system? So either they expected us to calculate volume in the pipe vs lake or just because it's closed, it stays constant? Not sure about that one.

The sound with the corks in between with variable "d"? That was difficult? How did you approach that.

There was one doppler effect question that seemed to give the wrong answers. This is the amplifier question, stationary sound source, move away you should get lower frequency, higher wavelength, none of the answer choices seemed to fit. Anyone else have this problem?

Some easy g.chem questions like alpha decay and other nuclear decay. But the physics was difficult.

Verbal wasn't too bad, the passages weren't too long and no strengthen/weaken, or long questions.

Bio was pretty easy. Heavy on the molecular bio. Lots of experiment passages involving mol.bio (my major :) ) The ochem wasn't too bad either. I'm thinking you have to do really well on the Bio to get a good score b/c of the curve and having so many people do well on it.

The PS was so ****ing hard...I think I'm going to go cry now. Or maybe I should have done that after PS. I was almost going to go void the test. I usually get 9's and 10's on PS, but OMG...It was almost all physics!!!!!! And very calculation-heavy, as someone on here said above. I cannot believe it. I felt like I was taking the PS from my first TPR diag again - all the studying in the world could not have helped me on that thing. It was totally unlike AAMC 5R, 6R, and 7R. All the PS sections before had like maybe 8 chemistry and 3 physics - this one was totally opposite. I just can't believe it.

I thought VR was pretty good; better feeling than all the diags I have taken before.

Bio seemed pretty good too; one o-chem passage kind of threw me off, but everything else was OK. I thought the urine osmolarity one or whatever was a little whack. I still have an OK feeling coming out of it.

Nothing was as bad as PS. Why did they have to take my worst section and multiply it by 10 times. It was like I was taking a physics final over and over and over again. Even taking upper-division physics would have been easier than that.

giorgeo said:
I think for the water, it said that it was a closed system? So either they expected us to calculate volume in the pipe vs lake or just because it's closed, it stays constant? Not sure about that one.

The sound with the corks in between with variable "d"? That was difficult? How did you approach that.

There was one doppler effect question that seemed to give the wrong answers. This is the amplifier question, stationary sound source, move away you should get lower frequency, higher wavelength, none of the answer choices seemed to fit. Anyone else have this problem?

Some easy g.chem questions like alpha decay and other nuclear decay. But the physics was difficult.

Verbal wasn't too bad, the passages weren't too long and no strengthen/weaken, or long questions.

Bio was pretty easy. Heavy on the molecular bio. Lots of experiment passages involving mol.bio (my major :) ) The ochem wasn't too bad either. I'm thinking you have to do really well on the Bio to get a good score b/c of the curve and having so many people do well on it.

I had the same question on amplifier. frequency and wavelenth are always inversely proportional if velocity is constant.I had no idea how can both decrease. frequency should have decrease and wavelength should have increase but none of the choice had that.

mandar said:
I had the same question on amplifier. frequency and wavelenth are always inversely proportional if velocity is constant.I had no idea how can both decrease. frequency should have decrease and wavelength should have increase but none of the choice had that.

yeah i know...i just put the answer with frequency that made sense and said that wavelength didn't change...

am I the only one that found the verbal section on EM to be hard?

you konw the water tower with water falling?

there was a question with the water coming out of the top, asking what the speed would be compared to the larger part..

was it 2x faster or 4x faster?

thanks

I put 2x faster cause the area was changed by that factor.
A1V1 = A2V2

yeah, but ARE you sure it said AREA? and not diameter?/

cause if it was diameter, its a different story.

i put 2x faster also.

do you remember if it said diamater or area?

Members don't see this ad :)
I could have sworn it said that the diameter increased....and then the velocity would have changed by a factor of 4....maybe i completly misread it though.

It definitely said DIAMETER and I put 4X. I went back to that particular question when I had time left with the PS. We're done, we're done, we're done... :p

I had form EH, but It sounds the same as what you all are describing of EM. Maybe just the passage order was changed?

aug14 said:
I had form EH, but It sounds the same as what you all are describing of EM. Maybe just the passage order was changed?

On BS, a stand alone question asked somthing about robins that are aggressive during matting season and attack everything red? I never studied anything like this - but guessed 'B'. Was this question on your form, and did anyone get the answer to this?

Yeah...I got that question too on form EM...what was answer "b"?

giorgeo said:

Yeah, what was up with that question? I put that the frequency decreased while the wavelength stayed the same. But shouldn't the wavelength increase? Does anyone think we should write to AAMC and see if that was a misprint on their behalf?

ndn diva said:
Yeah...I got that question too on form EM...what was answer "b"?

I don?t even remember, but I could recognize it if I saw it again. Considering all 4 answer choices were not covered in the Kaplan book, I just choose one that sounded the best to me.

my EM form people...

...what did you guys think about verbal on the whole. I thought it was a bit tough, like the passage on Crete confused me with all the dates and all. But I think it may just have been me. Was VR easy, average, or hard in your opinion?

Clueless,
I don't think VR was easy but it was lot more easier than PS which we had just taken before VR.
So may be that is why everyone is saying VR was easy. I thought VR was moderate but VR has never been my favourite. I always did good in PS but not in the real one.

ndn diva said:
Yeah, what was up with that question? I put that the frequency decreased while the wavelength stayed the same. But shouldn't the wavelength increase? Does anyone think we should write to AAMC and see if that was a misprint on their behalf?

I think we should write them. The more people that write about it the more it matters. When you're getting a 10-11, one question could put you over to the next bracket. I'm going to write this week. Anyone else want to discuss what we should write so as to be cohesive in our complaint?

i agree...we should ask AAMC about that question...unless if someone here on SDN can explain why the wavelength would not change.

giorgeo said:
I think we should write them. The more people that write about it the more it matters. When you're getting a 10-11, one question could put you over to the next bracket. I'm going to write this week. Anyone else want to discuss what we should write so as to be cohesive in our complaint?

Hey PM me...I think we should write a letter to them!

Yes Guys,We should write to AAMC. Do you guys know how we can do it and is the information on the AAMC website.

mandar said:
Yes Guys,We should write to AAMC. Do you guys know how we can do it and is the information on the AAMC website.

I am not sure...but I remeber when the proctor read the directions they said that we have 3 weeks to write to AAMC if we thought something on the test was not correct. There probably is some info on their website or the mcat essentials guide.

It says what to do in the MCAT essentials pdf file on there website.

Hey Guys,
I am kind of confused. There is another thread going around for form EM and all the guys in that thread are saying PS was easy. How can there be two EM forms with two different set of questions. Or are we the one's who are stupid and other thread people are smart???????????

that thread is from april 2004 mcat. Now I wish I would have gotten form EM in april and not this august.

I had form EH. Pretty much, everything sounds the same except we did NOT have the crab nebula passage. This I know for sure. If someone can try to remember (or through a collective effort) what passages there were for PS, VR, and BS, then we can compare between form EH and EM.

I bet, the slight differences between our passages (ie. roughly 2 for sciences sections and maybe one for VR) would give us an idea as to what passages are experimental.

so please, if someone can remmeber the passages , that would be cool. i have a list of the ones we had on ours.

cheers.

oh yea. forgot to mention. we had one on ice hockey on our PS section (form EH).

did you guys have that? perhaps there are 9 slots that are the same between our two test forms and the remaining two passages are variable between test forms. together, they can accumulate material for future tests...

i'm interested in finding out.

:)

hmgcoa said:
I had form EH.... i have a list of the ones we had on ours.

hmgcoa, I also had EH. Could you tell me what the final 3 PS passages were about, I can't remember them.

Also, on the BS section: do you remember what the answer choices were to that question about red robins attacking everything red (I guessed 'B', but can't remember what answer b was)?