EM hourly pay/salary??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lol. It is pretty funny to read this now.
And sad.
Mostly sad.

You absolute chump. This is the worst advice ever.

Members don't see this ad.

Lol. It is pretty funny to read this now.
And sad.
Mostly sad.
Madness.

They still exist. There's once place I know of that only pays $100/hr and requires ABEM if you weren't there for the decade previously when they made the rule. Guess how hard it is to staff with people under 70?

Madness.

They still exist. There's once place I know of that only pays $100/hr and requires ABEM if you weren't there for the decade previously when they made the rule. Guess how hard it is to staff with people under 70?

Got to be the sleepiest shop ever.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's $873k/year if you just live at the hospital and never stop working. (There is probably someone lurking who thinks this sarcasm is actually doable.)
Yeah, it's something like 3 a day. But still not worth going to unless you've a) got a free day, and b)they've got a gym or something

Reactions: 1 users
After all is said and done and the tax man cometh, social security, retirement, etc...

how much are you guys pulling down a year?

taxes around 40%?

Do most of you guys work all 12 months?

After all is said and done and the tax man cometh, social security, retirement, etc...

how much are you guys pulling down a year?

taxes around 40%?

Do most of you guys work all 12 months?

Kind of a personal question that some people may not want to provide on a public forum, but I'll answer it.

I grossed 554K in 2018 as an IC for a CMG in the SE and that's NOT including taxes, ss, retirement investments, etc.. I'm not sure how many hours I worked but it was a lot and I felt miserable. Last year I made 100K less and I felt much, much better. I don't see myself working at my pre-2018 levels any more in the future. It's just not worth it and I was on the way to an early grave, was miserable to be around and my personal life was suffering. I've noticed ZERO change in my lifestyle, ability to save for retirement, or anything else at my 2019 level and that was a pleasant surprise. Which begs the question, how important is another 50K or 100K after a certain point? Probably not as much as people think. I'd work even less if I could but I was several years older than most when I became an attending and had zero retirement savings, so I'm playing catch up and am unfortunately forced to work more hours than I would like for at least the next several years taking advantage of relatively high salaries while I can.

My state has no income tax but I pay standard federal tax rates. 37% for 2019 for income over 510K, 35% for >210K, etc..

I work all 12 months out of the year. I currently average 130-150 hours/mo. I averaged around 150-160 hours/mo in 2018 I believe.

Reactions: 2 users
My best year was 2018 as well. That year was $680K gross, and after scribe costs about $650K or so. That was working a ton of hours and getting burned out. Last year was about 550K, and this year I anticipate 500K though I'm only working 130 hours/month.

Not traveling for work has meant way less burnout and better quality of life. The decreased alcohol consumption of not flying 6 days out of the month has improved my overall health.

Kind of a personal question that some people may not want to provide on a public forum, but I'll answer it.

I grossed 554K in 2018 as an IC for a CMG in the SE and that's NOT including taxes, ss, retirement investments, etc.. I'm not sure how many hours I worked but it was a lot and I felt miserable. Last year I made 100K less and I felt much, much better. I don't see myself working at my pre-2018 levels any more in the future. It's just not worth it and I was on the way to an early grave, was miserable to be around and my personal life was suffering. I've noticed ZERO change in my lifestyle, ability to save for retirement, or anything else at my 2019 level and that was a pleasant surprise. Which begs the question, how important is another 50K or 100K after a certain point? Probably not as much as people think. I'd work even less if I could but I was several years older than most when I became an attending and had zero retirement savings, so I'm playing catch up and am unfortunately forced to work more hours than I would like for at least the next several years taking advantage of relatively high salaries while I can.

My state has no income tax but I pay standard federal tax rates. 37% for 2019 for income over 510K, 35% for >210K, etc..

I work all 12 months out of the year. I currently average 130-150 hours/mo. I averaged around 150-160 hours/mo in 2018 I believe.
My best year was 2018 as well. That year was $680K gross, and after scribe costs about $650K or so. That was working a ton of hours and getting burned out. Last year was about 550K, and this year I anticipate 500K though I'm only working 130 hours/month.

Not traveling for work has meant way less burnout and better quality of life. The decreased alcohol consumption of not flying 6 days out of the month has improved my overall health.
in the middle of refi 457k in loans .... ***

you guys give me hope that I can get out of residency and slay the dragon

thanks

Reactions: 1 user
in the middle of refi 457k in loans .... ***

you guys give me hope that I can get out of residency and slay the dragon

thanks

The people graduating now are definitely getting screwed on interest rates and loan amounts. The government made things worse in the late 00's by guaranteeing all student loans, encouraging schools to jack up their prices, and loan companies to charge greater interest rates.

Definitely pay off much as you can. Unfortunately since loans aren't tax deductible because we are "wealthy" you should prioritize maxing out your 401K first to minimize your tax burden. Student loans should be #2.

Reactions: 1 user