EM Jobs: $125/hr

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2021Doctor

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alabama – Emergency medicineFor-profit health system with hospitals, clinics and urgent cares located throughout central Alabama. ICH is seeking full-time and part-time Emergency Medicine Physicians to staff hospital emergency rooms located in Wetumpka, Dadeville and Georgiana facilities. Physician must have completed a family medicine or internal medicine residency with board certification/board eligibility in IM, FM or Emergency Medicine. Trauma Level: 4Shifts: 12 and 24 hour shift rotationsEmployment: Hospital employment or Independent ContractorAvg Patients/Day: Approximately 40 Compensation: $125/hr

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
40 patients in a 24/hr shift for $125/hr

That's something I'd assign Newman in prison

Reactions: 4 users
40 patients in a 24/hr shift for $125/hr

That's something I'd assign Newman in prison
The job market has actually picked up as of late.

I’ve seen offers in BFE Texas for $300/hr. These guys in Alabama are clowns in a clown state and I can say with 💯% certainty they won’t be able to hire anyone that’s ABEM boarded.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got offered a full-time gig at a freestanding for $150/hr. Granted, you see 0.5 PPH.

I ran the math and was sad until I realized that you could work 6 days a month and make $259k a year...and sleep at night most nights.

I'd have to have a second job to make up the difference, that's the bummer.

Last edited:
The job market has actually picked up as of late.

I’ve seen offers in BFE Texas for $300/hr. These guys in Alabama are clowns in a clown state and I can say with 💯% certainty they won’t be able to hire anyone that’s ABEM boarded.

Haven't seen numbers like that in TX for a long, long time. $250 maybe in a desperate place. $225-ish is the new norm. I have colleagues in DFW making sub-$200 per hour to work at big places. $190-low $200s seems to be the norm in Austin.

Reactions: 1 users
Unless something has drastically changed, SA still runs 250-275/hr.

If you are close to retiring, 150/hr seeing 10 pts/24 hrs and sleeping most nights is a great gig. Make close to 300K/yr seeing UC stuff getting a bunch of paperwork completed.

I remember working at a pt making 160/hr seeing 5pt/24 hrs. I did a few Telemedicine shifts and made an additional $200/hr.

If you are close to retiring, 150/hr seeing 10 pts/24 hrs and sleeping most nights is a great gig. Make close to 300K/yr seeing UC stuff getting a bunch of paperwork completed.

I remember working at a pt making 160/hr seeing 5pt/24 hrs. I did a few Telemedicine shifts and made an additional $200/hr.
Perhaps pay went up. The private groups I interviewed with in SA were low to mid-$200s pre-COVID (2018).

Or perhaps these were CMG jobs.

Not a bad deal, but you're working well over 144 hours per month to get to $300k. If you can work a side-job at the same time, more power to you.

I'd consider such a job but you'd have to be definitively seeing ~0.5 PPH in my mind. Otherwise your sleep is jeopardized, and working 24s isn't very fun at a place that's even remotely busier than that.

I can 100% confirm that SA is no longer even close to 275/hr. You're looking at 200-220.

• Sad
UPMC is more than happy to pay you $125/hr out in the sticks, in NW PA, seeing 25-30 pts per 24h. And, remember that real pathology comes in, with no support. "Sleepy rural jobs" get atypical STEMIs at 4am, and tension pneumothoraces at 5am.

If these sound oddly specific, there's a reason.

• Wow
UPMC is more than happy to pay you $125/hr out in the sticks, in NW PA, seeing 25-30 pts per 24h. And, remember that real pathology comes in, with no support. "Sleepy rural jobs" get atypical STEMIs at 4am, and tension pneumothoraces at 5am.

Umm, WTF, over? I can’t imagine people are clambering to work in rural NW PA. You can make close to double that working in Austin…

Not a bad deal, but you're working well over 144 hours per month to get to $300k. If you can work a side-job at the same time, more power to you.

I'd consider such a job but you'd have to be definitively seeing ~0.5 PPH in my mind. Otherwise your sleep is jeopardized, and working 24s isn't very fun at a place that's even remotely busier than that.
Slow FSERs are an actually good gig if you just want a chill place to make a decent living. If you are an easy sleeper its that much better.

Places I used to work at saw 5-7 ppd. I would say 75% of the days had noone show up past 10pm. 20% had 1 pt show up after MN. A rare day you may have seen 2-3 pts after MN.

So if you did 8 shifts a month, you may have had 2-3 dys where you saw a pt past MN. Probably the easiest 350K you could make but the boredom is real

Members don't see this ad :)

What a miserable job and any EM boarded doc that would take such a job must either be city bound or want punishment. You could make $125/hr quite easily doing telemedicine in your pajamas.

• Wow
What a miserable job and any EM boarded doc that would take such a job must either be city bound or want punishment. You could make $125/hr quite easily doing telemedicine in your pajamas.
Back from Twitter jail......I feel kindred spirit with Nikki :rofl:

On the question of $125/hr jobs, ED physicians just need to say no to this. There are plenty of Telemedicine jobs where you can make this kind of money easily. I just got an offer from a job doing tele-consults for worker's comp. Average pay is $40/hour for interviews that are 7 minutes long. Potential is for $300-$400/hr. I'll see how it goes.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Back from Twitter jail......I feel kindred spirit with Nikki

Hey, at least the blue checks still give you parole. They burned me at the stake months ago...

Haven't seen numbers like that in TX for a long, long time. $250 maybe in a desperate place. $225-ish is the new norm. I have colleagues in DFW making sub-$200 per hour to work at big places. $190-low $200s seems to be the norm in Austin.
Just got off the phone with a locums recruiter from Mint offering $285/hr in east Texas (team health site) and the same rate in San Antonio (USACS site), plus travel and lodging.

Just got off the phone with a locums recruiter from Mint offering $285/hr in east Texas (team health site) and the same rate in San Antonio (USACS site), plus travel and lodging.
Not bad. Mint is typically lower paying too (usually at least 20/hr less than other agencies for the same gig). Maybe the market is finally starting to turn around.

Im getting calls weekly now from my old locum recruiting contacts. Haven’t answered any calls so have no idea the rates so it looks like things are picking up the past 6 months.

During covid they were crickets.

my old SA friends are still get 275/hr so I bet they will be the standard going rate.

Alabama – Emergency medicineFor-profit health system with hospitals, clinics and urgent cares located throughout central Alabama. ICH is seeking full-time and part-time Emergency Medicine Physicians to staff hospital emergency rooms located in Wetumpka, Dadeville and Georgiana facilities. Physician must have completed a family medicine or internal medicine residency with board certification/board eligibility in IM, FM or Emergency Medicine. Trauma Level: 4Shifts: 12 and 24 hour shift rotationsEmployment: Hospital employment or Independent ContractorAvg Patients/Day: Approximately 40 Compensation: $125/hr
gotta ask would any doc actually consider this? Hell, when you calculate shift dif, and PDO I make 115/hr + retirment as a pharmacist and I have less school and a hell of a lot less responsibility.

gotta ask would any doc actually consider this? Hell, when you calculate shift dif, and PDO I make 115/hr + retirment as a pharmacist and I have less school and a hell of a lot less responsibility.
Doctors are not known for being financially savvy or making wise employment decisions. For many it's emotional: "I just have to live in San Diego!"

Mind asking where in East Texas? Was it full time or part time?

Mind asking where in East Texas? Was it full time or part time?
Didn’t specify, but if I had to hazard a guess, it would be Longview. As for FT or PT, these are locums shifts, you work as little or as many as you want…

Doctors are not known for being financially savvy or making wise employment decisions. For many it's emotional: "I just have to live in San Diego!"

I actually said this at one point in time.
This precise thing.
"I just have to live in San Diego."

I was an MS2.
I can't believe how stupid I was.

Attention MS2s (and MS3s, and MS4s, and PGY1s, and)

You don't know how stupid you are.

• Haha
I actually said this at one point in time.
This precise thing.
"I just have to live in San Diego."

I was an MS2.
I can't believe how stupid I was.

Attention MS2s (and MS3s, and MS4s, and PGY1s, and)

You don't know how stupid you are.

Living in a VHCOL is like the old joke about divorce.

Why is it so expensive?

Because its worth it.

• Haha
I think every profession falls into this. I knew a guy who took a job at Sloan Kettering in NYC and made like 60% of what I do. I think the difference is we bounce around a lot more than docs - at least at my hospital we do by a factor of at least 10.

I had a partner 15 yrs ago, worked in SF for 5 yrs, went to Tx. Went from full time living in a 2 bedroom Condo 1 hr away from work to living in a 4K sq foot home in the best part of town.

5 yrs later, he wondered why he ever stayed in SF for 5 rys.

I had a partner 15 yrs ago, worked in SF for 5 yrs, went to Tx. Went from full time living in a 2 bedroom Condo 1 hr away from work to living in a 4K sq foot home in the best part of town.

5 yrs later, he wondered why he ever stayed in SF for 5 rys.
Now SF is even worse. More expensive still.....and homeless, drugs, defecation everywhere. I don't get the attraction at all. San Diego at least has good weather.

Reactions: 5 users