EM marriages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sleepymed

The white Hard24Get
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a single female considering different residency spots, I was wondering, how many EM docs are married to other EM docs?

Members don't see this ad.

As a single female considering different residency spots, I was wondering, how many EM docs are married to other EM docs?
I know of one such couple, as well as an EM doc who is married to an ED nurse. There is also at least three or four (off the top of my head) EM docs I know who are married to physicians in other specialties.

My wife and I are both EM docs. I know of at least 3 other similar couples in our area.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was married to, and now am divorced from an ED nurse. I had to work with her on an occasional basis after the crap hit the fan. Wasnt pleasant...:barf: :barf:

I know of three EP couples. However, I work with the three wives. The three husbands work in different hospitals.

I know of one. One colleague is married to an ED director of a nearby hospital. Actually, most of the docs I work with are married to other docs. Damn. I could only imagine that household income.

Q

In my group of 50 or so docs, there's only one married couple that works both with the group. One doc's wife is a peds resident, and one doc's husband is an OD. Otherwise, a couple of nurse-doc pairings here and there, but, by and large, one-doc marriages are the deal.

I could only imagine that household income.

Q

Of course, there are other benefits to being married to a cheerleader.

I should say only one of the doctor couples I know of work at the same hospital. In fact, several groups in town have rules against having both halves of a married couple working for them.

In fact, several groups in town have rules against having both halves of a married couple working for them.
I understand the reasoning but I hope that is not common everywhere.

not an EM couple, but the relationship is always having an emergency? counts?

I understand the reasoning but I hope that is not common everywhere.

I don't think its too onerous in most cities. I guess if you want to go to a town with only one hospital it might be a problem. We made a concious decision to work for different groups. That way if one group loses a contract or the hospital closes or something like that were not both out of a job. Also, if you are both with the same small group it can be difficult to both get the same time for vacation.

The groups prefer not to have married couples since that can also make scheduling more difficult. It can make it more difficult if the group likes one half of the couple but not the other and also creates the potential for marriage problems to spill over into group politics.

I know of one. One colleague is married to an ED director of a nearby hospital. Actually, most of the docs I work with are married to other docs. Damn. I could only imagine that household income.

Q

My faves:
vascular surgeon + anesthesiologist,
interventional cards (with his own echo machine in office) + dermatologist.

I bet they drive nice cars.

Q

how about bill gates and anna nicole smith, that would still be some sweet lump sum of money the gatemeister would have.