EM/Peds, etc...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ispic

Get there!
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I just know that I might get flamed for this :) Just had a couple of questions regarding the future of EM/Peds residencies, the possibilities of practice and some residency programs in the Southeast, primarily Fla.

I know it is WAY too early to be thinking about this :rolleyes: , but even though I will just be starting medical school this fall in Ponce, Puerto Rico, I have been looking at practicing EM for some time, and will keep those notions on the back of my mind the next couple of years during preclinicals. I have heard of the new dual residencies in EM/IM and EM/Peds and was wondering how competitive are they compared to regular EM residency programs. I really want to stay as broad-based as possible in my practice, but would enjoy the additional Peds training to round me out even more, I also would like the possibility of opening up a free pediatric clinic on the days off (as my wife would allow :)), since I've had an awesome experience running a clinic for the kids of migrant workers these past couple of years and I have a goal to continue working in that population. I understand that there is a difference between the dual programs and post-residency fellowships in pediatric ER's, but any info would be great, thanks.

I was wondering about doing a couple of EM 4th year rotations in Florida around the Tampa or Miami area. I have family in both cities and it will be relatively easier on the bills to do the rotations there. Is there a potential disadvantage coming from PR? I doubt it, since the schools there are LCME-accredited, and from speaking to other docs, PR physicians are well regarded, but are there some programs that I should watch out for?

Quinn, are there some dual EM/Peds programs in Fla., or should I look elsewhere on the East coast?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to answer :)

Members don't see this ad.