EM Physician books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeadCactus

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not like a textbook but a biography or such. Anyone have a favorite non-fiction EM book?

Members don't see this ad.

Also the house of god.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Read both. Looking for something... more positive...

In a residency slump, looking for a reminder that there's more to EM than moving widgets...

Not like a textbook but a biography or such. Anyone have a favorite non-fiction EM book?
Anyone, Anything, Anytime by Brian Zink

Good history of the specialty

Baghdad ER is pretty good so far. Definitely not a typical practice environment, but an entertaining read nonetheless.

I really liked David Newman's book, Hippocrates' Shadow. Not EM specific in its entirety but a lot of it. Also, the recent book Shocked: Adventures in Bringing Back the Recently Dead by David Cassarett, which is a really cool history of resuscitation.

Frank Huyler (faculty at UNM) wrote the excellent collection of vignettes, The Blood of Strangers. He really captures the joy and (more often) the pain of practicing EM.

I highly recommend it to anyone who works in an ED.

Paul Austin's Something for the Pain

That would be the first I'd go to for a residency slump. Don't forget the broader world, though! Cutting for Stone is a good read. And sometimes ya just need to give up and read a highly victorious children's book full of warriors and winning and yelling. Like Redwall.

...off to add The Blood of Strangers to my Amazon list. Thanks!