EM physicians hourly or salary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cman06

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I had a quick question concerning EM salary and earning potential. I have seen where EM docs make a certain amount for a certain number of shifts (12 12hr shift/mo), but can these docs take extra shifts, work longer hours? I guess the official question is if the doctors are on salary or paid per hours they work? Reason being is because I know surgeons come in a lot and work lots of hours per week, but considering EM reported salary per time worked, it seems, that an EM doc making 250k for 35hr work weeks can easily jump near, if not more, surgeon potential with the same amount of time put in as the surgeon ~60hr/wk.

Members don't see this ad.

It's been discussed before.

You get paid for the hours you work. Unless you're doing administrative things. Sometimes.

Emergency doctors who try to work as many clinical hours as surgeons burnt out and bitter. Lots of reasons why. Don't plan on working more than 150 hours a month long-term in EM.120 would be better.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's been discussed before.

You get paid for the hours you work. Unless you're doing administrative things. Sometimes.

Sorry, I did search but could not find the specific answers.

Emergency doctors who try to work as many clinical hours as surgeons burnt out and bitter. Lots of reasons why. Don't plan on working more than 150 hours a month long-term in EM.120 would be better.

Thanks!