EM reference books for residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emoregon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Of course you are already a Rosen or Tintinalli fan and have been through the 4th year clerkship books. There's already a thread for pocket EM guides. I'm interested in books that address specific topics in EM. I've been requesting books from my university library (I'm at an academic program) and they've been purchasing them. Great way for free reads. A few I have used this year are below. Please contribute! Also interested in EM fiction/novels

EM:
Clinical Procedures in Emergency Medicine. The classic Roberts and Hedges book. Haven't found it as readable as I expected and doesn't go over some procedures in enough depth that I had hoped. Though still a great book and probably must own.

Bouncebacks! Emergency Department Cases: ED Returns. Great read on common errors. Excellent book - I've read through it a few times.
Avoiding Common Errors in the Emergency Department Just started reading. Some common sense stuff but also noteworthy tidbits of all aspects of EM.

Rapid Sequence Intubation and Rapid Sequence Airway: An Airway 911 Guide. Somewhat of a primer but goes through algorithms very well. Great read for intern year.

ICU:
Marino's ICU Book. Absolutely fantastic ICU primer. A bit outdated in some management (really needs a new addition), but intro to vents and other ICU topics are great.

Cards:
ECG's for the Emergency Physician. By Mattu. Humbling is all I can say. Two editions. Go through these books in depth and you will be an expert.
Tox:
Toxicology Pearls. Case based. Good review of common and obscure tox cases.

Radiology:
Emergency Radiology Case Studies. I had trouble finding a readable radiology book. This one does cases and has short learning points for each case. Not a thorough review but really helpful.

Learning Radiology. Bought this book as a student. More of a primer but goes over basics of plain films and CT basics very well. Has free online module.

Interpretation of Emergency Head CT: A Practical Handbook. Short read, very practical for the zillion head CTs we order.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Wells Eye Manual is a great optho reference. It's a bit overkill for what we do, but there's a great differential section.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've always wanted to get the "Atlas of Emergency Medicine," but can't see shelling out a couple of hundred bucks for it. If the library was buying, I would think that would be a good one for visual diagnosis.

To add to your list:

For ECG's I prefer Tomas Garcia's Art of Interpretation. It explained everything that you would need to know in the ED. After reading that book I felt that Mattu was lagging. That, and I find Mattu's placement of images highly annoying. After you finish those books, you can try O'Keefe's The Complete Guide to ECGs. This book is used by the cardiology fellows to train for their boards. If you want humbling, here it is.