Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

EM research MSI-II

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by froggiepremed, Feb 21, 2007.

1. froggiepremed

froggiepremed not "Pre" any more
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I will be attending a new D.O. school starting in August. I am interested in starting my own EMIG on campus, and will hopefully get funding for it. I was wondering what type of research that has been done on EM during the first two years of school. Any info would be a big help!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. SolidGold

SolidGold Florida winters are the best!
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I did D-dimer stuff, mostly chart review analysis and finding a trend/conclusion. I thought it was a good first EM research project.

3. paramed2premed

paramed2premed Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I did a small survey in the Pedi ED, and wrote up the results. It got published during interview season - how cool is that?!

My thoughts:
    - Come up with an idea yourself. Do the literature search, define the issue, think of a way to add just a little to the topic.
    - Do something in the ED, not just a chart review if you can manage it. It's much more fun to be in the department than in the medical records department.
    - Survey's are easy to do, and they get you in the ED. They are also easy to do poorly. . .
    - Do a pubmed search on all the attendings in the department, and get an idea for who likes to do projects, who likes to do them with residents or students. Ideally, pick this mentor with your project idea in mind, or vice-versa.

Check out the SAEM website. There's an article about just what you are asking.

Good luck!

4. AmoryBlaine

AmoryBlaine the last tycoon
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You're going to be attending a DO school that doesn't already have an EMIG?

Which one is that?

5. OP
    OP
    froggiepremed

froggiepremed not "Pre" any more
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    It is the new D.O. school in TN, LMU-DCOM. SO, I will be the first class, and have chance to hop on the ball to get things rolling the minute I get there...or hopefully before I get there in August.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. AmoryBlaine

AmoryBlaine the last tycoon
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Sweet! Good luck with that. Check out the website for the professional organizations (SAEM etc), I think some of them might offer grants to start up EMIGs...