EM residencies that accept ABFM docs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Itssalsatime

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My wife is about to finish her 3rd year residency and decided she wants to do EM...
AOA honor society
271 step1
272 step 2
Forgot score for family boards but they're also really high.
Not sure if it is appropriate to name the residency program or not, but it is easily top 3 in nation.

How would she apply to EM residencies? Anyone here *happen* to know a director you could refer ? :)

She is on 30 hour rotations right now and I'm trying my best to help her with this.

Is it too late this year to apply for residency is that begin in 2017?

Would she be able to 'swap her pgy3 FM to PGY2 EM?' I don't know anything about this.

Thanks all.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My wife is about to finish her 3rd year residency and decided she wants to do EM...
AOA honor society
271 step1
272 step 2
Forgot score for family boards but they're also really high.
Not sure if it is appropriate to name the residency program or not, but it is easily top 3 in nation.

How would she apply to EM residencies? Anyone here *happen* to know a director you could refer ? :)

She is on 30 hour rotations right now and I'm trying my best to help her with this.

Is it too late this year to apply for residency is that begin in 2017?

Thanks all.

Senior medical students are required to apply with standardized letters of evaluation which can only be obtained from rotations in the ED at a residency program. There are some logistical issues with non-seniors rotating in most places, so the only way you'll know for sure if program X will let her rotate is by calling programs you guys are interested in discussing your case. I would recommend getting at least two SLOEs.

Obviously, she'll have to be able to make an articulate case about why she wants to switch (while $$$ is always a factor, it should probably be more than that). The hours in EM suck and we have our own issues that are not super enjoyable. If her only experience in the ED is coming down to admit, prior med school experience, or TV shows, she should really reconsider if she is willing to go through another 3 years (don't assume credit for prior residency).

Everyone makes a big deal of funding, but that is often not an issue in most larger institutions (although, even if you guys get funding, you'll still only be paid at resident rates). Without SLOEs this late in the application cycle, the chances for starting in 2017 is really unlikely (except at your home institution).

Otherwise, I assume the application process is the same for residents as senior medical students: update ERAS, apply broadly, and try not to get an ulcer during interview season.

Thanks for the tips. Yeah she loves EM.. she moonlights in EMs 4 x a month now.
Likes how she can help a patient and actually *see* the result. That is why she hates FM, managing chronic illnesses has turned into becoming a sales person to her.. she's sick of it. She also enjoys the variety of patients she gets to see in the ED. All of her moonlightling gigs are level 1 traumed btw, but there is always another doctor on hand for the stuff she doesn't know.

Well, thanks for the reply. What would you suggest she says to the EM director at her current institution?

Can she get SLOE from the ED department here? She has had several 1 month rotations through the ED.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the tips. Yeah she loves EM.. she moonlights in EMs 4 x a month now.
Likes how she can help a patient and actually *see* the result. That is why she hates FM, managing chronic illnesses has turned into becoming a sales person to her.. she's sick of it. She also enjoys the variety of patients she gets to see in the ED. All of her moonlightling gigs are level 1 traumed btw, but there is always another doctor on hand for the stuff she doesn't know.

Well, thanks for the reply. What would you suggest she says to the EM director at her current institution?

Can she get SLOE from the ED department here? She has had several 1 month rotations through the ED.

Her best bet would be to talk directly to the program director of the emergency medicine residency at her home institution. This is a fairly rate situation. If she really wants to pursue another residency, her greatest (really her only) chance of achieving that this year would be to stay at her home residency. The current PD will be able to give her more solid advice and determine whether or not that could even be a choice at this point.

It's definitely doable. In my 3 years so far, we have had 2 residents switch from other programs (actually one was just graduated from a different residency in IM, not unlike your wife).

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.