EM residencies with sports medicine exposure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AthleteDoc7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I'm a third year med student at a US MD med school who will be applying EM next year, just deciding if I want to do IM/CCM on top of that for now. Random, possibly strange question here.

I've been an athlete and huge sports fan all my life, and though I don't think I'd spend extra time to do a fellowship in sports med (mostly for financial reasons), I was wondering if any EM residency programs had a good amount of sports exposure? I mean mostly as getting to act as part of a medical team for sporting events/games or working with team doctors or something like that as a resident. Obviously not high on my priority list, but I think it'd be a cool experience (if it even exists). I thought i'd seen something on some website about programs with some, but don't remember. Thanks for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

Georgetown has a Sports Medicine Fellowship. It also has a CC fellowship at Washington Hospital Center that takes people from EM. Actually it's not hard to match into IM/CC from EM (or sports medicine). There are only a few EM-sports medicine fellowships in the nation. Arizona I believe is another one.

Reactions: 1 user
Buy a ticket to any NCAA sports event and wear a home-team polo.

There you go, there's as much "sports-medicine" as you need.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Get a job somewhere that sees a lot of ortho. I’m inundated with ortho and I’m EM.

Georgetown has a Sports Medicine Fellowship. It also has a CC fellowship at Washington Hospital Center that takes people from EM. Actually it's not hard to match into IM/CC from EM (or sports medicine). There are only a few EM-sports medicine fellowships in the nation. Arizona I believe is another one.

thanks for the reply. I've noticed Duke seems to have a cool fellowship also. I'm more looking into actual EM residences that get to help in the sporting events or something of that nature. Do you think the programs with sports fellowships would let a resident who shows interest help out?

again, this is nothing more than an experience I think would be cool to do and learn a bit about to have some fun during residency, probably not so much as a career given the lack of concrete career paths with sports medicine and the usual drop in pay from EM.

thanks for the reply. I've noticed Duke seems to have a cool fellowship also. I'm more looking into actual EM residences that get to help in the sporting events or something of that nature. Do you think the programs with sports fellowships would let a resident who shows interest help out?

again, this is nothing more than an experience I think would be cool to do and learn a bit about to have some fun during residency, probably not so much as a career given the lack of concrete career paths with sports medicine and the usual drop in pay from EM.
Heard from a lot of programs on the interview trail this year that their residents can volunteer to staff events with local sports teams. Don't remember specifics since I'm really not a sports person, but it seemed to be pretty widely available at programs in cities with sports teams. I think all the opportunities I heard about were unpaid/volunteer, though.

I'm 99% sure it's an ACGME requirement for EM to work 2 mass gathering events. At most places that's a football game or a marathon. Please note, standing on the sideline during a game and responding to passed out drunk co-eds is not sports medicine (although it's freaking awesome). If you really want sports medicine exposure do it for your elective.

I'm most likely doing a sports fellowship. Early in my career I see it as an academic niche/side project. I also see it as a way to do reduce ED time later in my career should I need it.

Check out Vanderbilt... they have an awesome sports med fellowship for EM. Tons of cool opportunities with D-1 sports, Nashville Predators, etc. Also an awesome EM program in general.

some extremely helpful replies, thanks everyone! I'll be sure to look into all of these programs more and ask around.

@Keladry volunteer is perfectly fine, that's what I expected. it's just something I think I'd enjoy doing.

@KinesiologyNerd that's very awesome man, and good advice. If i felt there was a niche out there readily available that wouldn't cause a huge drop in pay I'd consider it, but everything everyone tells me is that's extremely tough to find. if you have any specific idea of what your plan is, please PM me and let me know. could change how i feel about it

If you're interested in the SW, Arizona and New Mexico both have EM sports fellowships and opportunities to rotate through the training rooms. I'm a 2nd year at UNM, planning on staying here for sports med fellowship. We also have an incredible ortho rotation. Swing shifts Sun-Thurs with ortho resident on call. No notes, no rounding. Just reductions/splinting and other procedures.

If you're interested in the SW, Arizona and New Mexico both have EM sports fellowships and opportunities to rotate through the training rooms. I'm a 2nd year at UNM, planning on staying here for sports med fellowship. We also have an incredible ortho rotation. Swing shifts Sun-Thurs with ortho resident on call. No notes, no rounding. Just reductions/splinting and other procedures.

that sounds sick, will surely look into it. can i ask what led you to wanting to do a sports fellowship?