EM Residency chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

godcor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a student in the UK, I completed my step 1 and got a 198, planning to do step 2 this year (graduating year) and step 3 along with GP (family medicine) licence. If I successfully complete step 2 & 3 + obtain family medicine certification & obtain my own H1b do I have a chance at obtaining an EM residency spot? If so how can I make that chance a reality?

Members don't see this ad.

Terrifically dismal and low. People who don't need visas as international grads with 230s, 240s and even 250s have a tough time even.

Reactions: 2 users
In all honesty your Step 1 score makes your chances very, very low, such that it would be far easier to give up the EM dream if you can. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

However, it is conceivable that a super stellar Step 2 (and maybe even Step 3) score could be proof that your step 1 was a fluke. Even then, it would be an uphill battle and your application would most likely be automatically weeded out based on step 1 filter that many programs use.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi, Godcore..sorry for the interrupt..i just wanna ask..why do you want to go to the US? i heard that the UK also need more emergency doctors?

hi, Godcore..sorry for the interrupt..i just wanna ask..why do you want to go to the US? i heard that the UK also need more emergency doctors?

Same as everyone else who wants to go to the US

Reactions: 1 users
hi,Psai..i was actually asking a more specific reason...UK has been known for their great education and good payment in medical field too(at least for an asian guy like me) ..so, i don't really understand why does Godcore want to go to US instead developing in his/her own country?

as for me, i want to go to US because i want better education than in my country..

Pons Asinorum..why do you have to be that sarcastic? that is what i heard from some people working in there already..another thing, it is also one of the reason why people want to go abroad..as for me, i gave my answer why i did USMLE in the same previous post..so, please read it carefully before u judge on somebody..thx