EM residency closed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
anyone have any insight on why the osteopathic EM residency in loxachattee, FL (columbia hospital/west palm) closed and moved to port st lucie?
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

that's another reason why it is difficult to really say that osteopathic programs are just as solid. i had the option of attending a DO EM residency program, but decided not to, it just didn't seem as established. I have known several residents in DO EM residencies who had the program shut down before they graduated. They were left to scramble for positions in other DO EM programs.... not a sweet situation by any means.

That being said, there are some solid DO EM programs that aren't in any trouble of closing. But you best be careful especially if there is a "new DO EM" program popping up.

My 0.02 cents.
Q

Members don't see this ad :)
I saw this the other day as well and was curious.

I'm not sure if there were any recent changes in hospital ownership but there's now this Palm Beach Center for Graduate Medical Education http://pbcgme.com/welcome.html that lists a few programs and looks like some consortium among a few different hospitals down in that area, look to be all HCA Hospitals.

From the EMED page on that site it looks like the program is set to open at St Lucie Medical Center in 2010 but will have have rotations through the other affiliated hospitals there, Columbia, JFK, etc....

that's another reason why it is difficult to really say that osteopathic programs are just as solid. ... I have known several residents in DO EM residencies who had the program shut down before they graduated. They were left to scramble for positions in other DO EM programs.... not a sweet situation by any means.

That being said, there are some solid DO EM programs that aren't in any trouble of closing. But you best be careful especially if there is a "new DO EM" program popping up.

Yea... I'd agree with that. Although I suppose it can be said for any new residency program. There's no way of knowing how good it will be, or how stable, or how well it will train residents for the first few years.

But yes, D.O. programs seem to be a little bit more susceptible to this. Perhaps because they tend to be at smaller community hospitals rather than big university affiliated hospitals. Who knows.

I've rotated at Palms West, and Columbia, two of the hospitals at PBCGME, and have friends currently in their residency programs. The EM program closed for many reasons, all beyond the control of the medical education leadership. I was, however, impressed with the way that the program, and HCA, not only used tremendous resources to try to save the program, but went to great pains to place all residents in other programs (and expense...they lent the funding for all of these residents to their new programs!).

No program is without its problems, but I wouldn't hesitate to a residency program at this rapidly expanding consortium backed by a huge, stable hospital company.

that's another reason why it is difficult to really say that osteopathic programs are just as solid. i had the option of attending a DO EM residency program, but decided not to, it just didn't seem as established. I have known several residents in DO EM residencies who had the program shut down before they graduated. They were left to scramble for positions in other DO EM programs.... not a sweet situation by any means.

My 0.02 cents.
Q

Maybe just the ones in Florida?

not sure why but i do know PSL is a good city to live in right now, especially to buy a house. my sister just bought down there about 3,000 sq foot house newly built, all upgrades for about 200k.