EM Residency Program Basic Characteristics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jacob626

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So far in my search of EM residencies, it seems like the search comes down to a few core variables. Almost all of the reviews say that the residents get along well, the faculty is really nice, etc. The main variables seem to be location and whether it is more of an academic or community program.

I know what I'm looking for but it seems impossible to go through 150 programs' websites and try to decipher which seem more academic and which are more clinical. Can anyone give some insight into what programs are historically more academically focused and which are more clinically focused? Or an easier way to figure this out?

Other than this, I still feel lost. Even if I can narrow it down to 75 programs that are more clinical (I'm not that interested in research) I still don't know where to go from there. I don't care too much where I live. All I guess I'd want besides a clinically focused hospital with a high patient volume of varied cases would be a nice facility that utilizes technology well (I can't handle not having electronic medical records).

All of the reviews seem to be varied and everyone seems to have a different opinion on every subject ("This place has tons of trauma" "Surgery takes all the trauma here so you don't see any" "This is the best place for trauma" etc).

On one hand I don't want to base my decision on what others' opinions are but on the other hand I don't see any other way of getting information about a place than working there for a week, which is obviously not possible for all 150. How did other people make their decisions? Is there an easier way of sorting through everything than simply reading 100 reviews and trying to get an overall feel for the program?

Members don't see this ad.

Get an advisor and ask them. They will be able to give great insights to a lot of programs and help you decide on things that are important to you. I would do that first.

Your to do list should look like this as you approach the upcoming interview season:

-Get an advisor to help you narrow down these concerns and evaluate your application to see where you would be a competitive applicant.
-Try and discern if you are interested in a county program, an academic program, or a healthy mix.
-(Not required) Determine if you think there is a fellowship you would be well-suited for or interested in.
-Decide if the 3 vs. 4 year dilemma is of actual concern to you.

Bottom line is, there are way too many programs to simply request advice or go through the websites. However, it's pointless for recs and such until it's understood what kind of applicant you look like on paper. 75 apps will bankrupt you, and is only really necessary if you are a sub-average applicant, or from the Carribbean or a DO (not even sure if you would do 75 even still). I'm not asking you to reveal your credentials on here, but think that an advisor would be a valuable resource. If there is no one available to help you do that, I can certainly offer you some basic knowledge on where I've been and the impression I've got of programs I didnt go to (but that's still heresay...)

You've got time, so definitely don't get too stressed out about it right now...