1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

EM rotation before Step II

Discussion in 'Step II' started by sharg, Apr 12, 2007.

1. sharg

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Is it advisable to do your EM rotation before taking Step II CK? I want to take Step II over the summer but I dont know if I can schedule and EM rotation in the summer.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jdh71

jdh71 epiphany at nine thousand six hundred feet
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Can't think why it would help that much . . . seems equivical to me

4. JMC_MarineCorps

JMC_MarineCorps Primum non nocere
    10+ Year Member

I was given this advice, but will be unable to follow through as mine is already scheduled for 2 weeks from now. Something about standard questions you learn in EM being important for all timed encounters, ie, cutting to the chase. Can't really think of what she meant by this...I mean nothing that sticks out beyond the usual OPQRST, LIQORAAA.

5. awdc

awdc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I actually did take my Step 2 CK (and CS) during the two weeks after my EM rotation. I thought it was okay but EM being a pretty time consuming rotation didn't leave much time for me to study for Step 2. I wouldn't advise it unless you've been studying pretty hard before the EM rotation and used your EM rotation to review. All the "patient comes into the ER..." questions did seem easier.

6. pillowhead

pillowhead Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I could see it being useful because it incorporates a little bit of everything and gets you thinking about actue management and the undifferentiated patient, but I wouldn't stress if you can't work it out. Probably most people don't have it under their belt and they do just fine (I did).