Step II How I went from 240s to 260s in 8 days

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

butylithium

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Kind of a long post, but I hope it helps someone out there taking this exam someday. I’m on a gap year doing an MPH and it was up to me to schedule my exam sometime during the year. I started studying lightly in May but pushed my exam twice throughout the year (shouldn't have scheduled it in the first place). I hovered in the low-to-mid 240s for months, then had a late surge in the final 1 to 2 weeks (257 on NBME 15, 260 on NBME 16). Here are my scores, along with the percent correct in each section.

1/9/2026, Step 2CK: 265

1/7/2026, Free 120: 253 (predicted from 76%)

1/5/2026, Form 16: 260 (78%, 80%, 78%, 86%)

1/1/2026, Form 15: 257 (82%, 84%, 76%, 82%)

12/28/2025, Form 14: 241 (76%, 80%, 72%, 66%)

12/22/2025, UWorld SA2: 248 (70%, 78%, 78%, 68%)

9/9/2025, AMBOSS SA: 243 (53%, 73%, 73%, 80%)

8/30/2025, Form 13: 242 (76%, 78%, 70%, 70%)

8/14/2025, Form 12: 239 (72%, 70%, 76%, 68%)

7/25/2025, Form 11: 248 (76%, 74%, 78%, 80%)

7/4/2025, Form 10: 241 (86%, 76%, 68%, 64%)

5/10/2025, Form 9: 210 (72%, 60%, 60%, 44%)

I posted on Reddit a few months ago looking for advice because I didn’t know what else to do to get my score out of the 240s and there weren't a lot of posts about that specific issue. I eventually figured it out (initially based on a post by u/usethesleep), and I primarily attribute this to an in-depth NBME review and detailed metacognitive analysis of test taking and clinical reasoning errors.

Throughout my prep, I did all the usual stuff everyone talks about in every post-exam write up (UWorld, CMS forms, AMBOSS high yield modules on QI/patient safety/200 concepts, Mehlman HY PDFs, 2CK HY images PDF, Divine podcasts, Dr. High Yield on YouTube, B&B, AnKing, etc.). This got me into the 240s, but I hit a wall when trying to get into the 250s and beyond. No matter how many more practice questions I did, nothing would work. I read a short USMLE test taking strategies book and brushed up on ethics (PDFs linked below). Beyond that, here’s the process that got me a rapid score increase.

After taking an NBME, for the questions I got wrong, I would write this type of analysis into a Google Doc thinking honestly and simply “what was I thinking when I chose this answer?” I would write them in a concise format, like these examples:

SXQY (section X, question Y): Despite all the signs in the vignette for alcohol withdrawal, I saw the INR of 5.5 and chose FFP to treat that instead of alcohol withdrawal
  • Put FFP because I saw INR was 5.5 and thought we should correct it with FFP to reduce the bleeding risk
  • When do we ever treat a “high INR” anyway?
  • Just shows chronic synthetic liver dysfunction
SXQY: Thought platelets over 1 million = essential thrombocytosis -> this is NOT a safe rule
  • Platelets can be >1 million in reactive, especially after splenectomy
  • Plateletpheresis is only for essential thrombocytosis with life-threatening thrombotic events (stroke, PE, limb ischemia, etc.)
SXQY: 47M + no PMHx, no meds, normal vitals + volunteered at homeless shelter in last 4 years + WBC count 2,400 -> NBSIM I said was bone marrow biopsy
  • Answer was repeat blood count in 3 months
  • Got anchored with the low WBC count, even though patient had no symptoms or other signs of a malignancy warranting a BMB
  • Patient with incidental single lab abnormality with no symptoms -> do not pursue an aggressive workup
Then once per section, similar errors like these were consolidated into broader rules I could use for the next NBME. Here is the rule I got from the above examples:
  1. Don’t let a scary lab value hijack the clinical story; choose the treatment that addresses the pathology the entire vignette is about, not just to treat one lab value
Really force yourself to write these little analyses for each question. Why did you put that choice? Did you skip over a detail that would have swayed your answer? Did you anchor on a lab value? Did you avoid putting schizophrenia because it didn't say 6 months of symptoms, but the vignette implied a prodromal phase? Did you not treat the life threatening thing first? Get your thoughts out. Even if you're not sure why you got it wrong, just start writing and put something.

I found myself wondering, “what is the most effective way to use AI when studying for Step beyond just asking it questions? How would a med student in the future use it?” In my view, in addition to using AMBOSS GPT to answer medical questions, AI can be used to aid in pattern recognition in test taking and clinical reasoning errors. I would start a new chat when beginning review of an NBME form and paste in this prompt as the first message:

“I'm conducting a metacognitive analysis of my errors when taking NBME Form XX for USMLE Step 2CK. I'm trying to extract as much information and as many actionable insights as possible for improving my Step 2CK score (my test date is X/X/XXXX). For the rest of this conversation, I'll give you screenshots of the NBME question and my thoughts on why I think I got it wrong and the thought process that led me to choose that answer choice. You tell me what you think, and then at the very end, we'll synthesize all of the errors into actionable rules that I can follow so I do not make those same mistakes again. We are looking for overall patterns in the mistakes I'm making.”

I’d screenshot the question (Command-Shift-3 on Mac), drag the image into the ChatGPT window, and paste in my analysis like in the examples above. ChatGPT would explain why my answer was wrong and, as a bonus, the thread became a single running log of all my missed questions. After I’d entered everything, I’d ask it to review the entire conversation for patterns in my errors. Once I’d logged all my misses, I finished with this prompt:

“Now take all the questions I've sent in here with my explanations and synthesize any patterns you see for why I’m putting these wrong answers. Then, give me a content breakdown across the NBME subjects so I can see where I’m missing the most questions.”

Lastly, the concise format I used for missed questions shown above translates easily into cloze Anki cards, but I limited this to NBME incorrects. The Anki burden was manageable leading up to the exam, roughly an hour per day focused only on NBME incorrects. These concepts repeat across forms and on the real exam. You need to hit these weaknesses relentlessly and fix them.

I did this whole process for NBMEs 14, 15, 16, and Free 120. I took an NBME about every 4 days leading up to the exam which built up endurance and allowed me to calibrate to NBME-style logic under time pressure. By the end, I had about 30 rules and I read through these before every NBME and before the real exam.

Finally, on test day, do the double-block start to build momentum then use 5 minutes for every break thereafter. Leave all multipart questions for the end so if you miss one of the sequential questions, it doesn't throw you off. Leave biostats/drug ads for the end of the block. Light caffeine the day of. Pack snacks and Tylenol, ibuprofen, Imodium, Tums in your backpack. Bring into the exam a clear water bottle with the label ripped off. Walk to the bathroom every break.

TL;DR: If you’re stuck in the mid-to-high 240s, the solution is not more practice questions. You have a solid foundation of clinical knowledge. It’s an in-depth metacognitive analysis of test taking and clinical reasoning errors you’re making on NBME questions.

2CK test taking strategies and ethics PDFs: 2CK Strategies and Ethics - Google Drive
 
This guide is much appreciated. We have not had medical students come back and post their thoughts on preparing for the modern versions of Step 1 and Step 2, so I am sure many people will find the test-taking strategy aspect helpful.
 
Kind of a long post, but I hope it helps someone out there taking this exam someday. I’m on a gap year doing an MPH and it was up to me to schedule my exam sometime during the year. I started studying lightly in May but pushed my exam twice throughout the year (shouldn't have scheduled it in the first place). I hovered in the low-to-mid 240s for months, then had a late surge in the final 1 to 2 weeks (257 on NBME 15, 260 on NBME 16). Here are my scores, along with the percent correct in each section.

1/9/2026, Step 2CK: 265

1/7/2026, Free 120: 253 (predicted from 76%)

1/5/2026, Form 16: 260 (78%, 80%, 78%, 86%)

1/1/2026, Form 15: 257 (82%, 84%, 76%, 82%)

12/28/2025, Form 14: 241 (76%, 80%, 72%, 66%)

12/22/2025, UWorld SA2: 248 (70%, 78%, 78%, 68%)

9/9/2025, AMBOSS SA: 243 (53%, 73%, 73%, 80%)

8/30/2025, Form 13: 242 (76%, 78%, 70%, 70%)

8/14/2025, Form 12: 239 (72%, 70%, 76%, 68%)

7/25/2025, Form 11: 248 (76%, 74%, 78%, 80%)

7/4/2025, Form 10: 241 (86%, 76%, 68%, 64%)

5/10/2025, Form 9: 210 (72%, 60%, 60%, 44%)

I posted on Reddit a few months ago looking for advice because I didn’t know what else to do to get my score out of the 240s and there weren't a lot of posts about that specific issue. I eventually figured it out (initially based on a post by u/usethesleep), and I primarily attribute this to an in-depth NBME review and detailed metacognitive analysis of test taking and clinical reasoning errors.

Throughout my prep, I did all the usual stuff everyone talks about in every post-exam write up (UWorld, CMS forms, AMBOSS high yield modules on QI/patient safety/200 concepts, Mehlman HY PDFs, 2CK HY images PDF, Divine podcasts, Dr. High Yield on YouTube, B&B, AnKing, etc.). This got me into the 240s, but I hit a wall when trying to get into the 250s and beyond. No matter how many more practice questions I did, nothing would work. I read a short USMLE test taking strategies book and brushed up on ethics (PDFs linked below). Beyond that, here’s the process that got me a rapid score increase.

After taking an NBME, for the questions I got wrong, I would write this type of analysis into a Google Doc thinking honestly and simply “what was I thinking when I chose this answer?” I would write them in a concise format, like these examples:

SXQY (section X, question Y): Despite all the signs in the vignette for alcohol withdrawal, I saw the INR of 5.5 and chose FFP to treat that instead of alcohol withdrawal
  • Put FFP because I saw INR was 5.5 and thought we should correct it with FFP to reduce the bleeding risk
  • When do we ever treat a “high INR” anyway?
  • Just shows chronic synthetic liver dysfunction
SXQY: Thought platelets over 1 million = essential thrombocytosis -> this is NOT a safe rule
  • Platelets can be >1 million in reactive, especially after splenectomy
  • Plateletpheresis is only for essential thrombocytosis with life-threatening thrombotic events (stroke, PE, limb ischemia, etc.)
SXQY: 47M + no PMHx, no meds, normal vitals + volunteered at homeless shelter in last 4 years + WBC count 2,400 -> NBSIM I said was bone marrow biopsy
  • Answer was repeat blood count in 3 months
  • Got anchored with the low WBC count, even though patient had no symptoms or other signs of a malignancy warranting a BMB
  • Patient with incidental single lab abnormality with no symptoms -> do not pursue an aggressive workup
Then once per section, similar errors like these were consolidated into broader rules I could use for the next NBME. Here is the rule I got from the above examples:
  1. Don’t let a scary lab value hijack the clinical story; choose the treatment that addresses the pathology the entire vignette is about, not just to treat one lab value
Really force yourself to write these little analyses for each question. Why did you put that choice? Did you skip over a detail that would have swayed your answer? Did you anchor on a lab value? Did you avoid putting schizophrenia because it didn't say 6 months of symptoms, but the vignette implied a prodromal phase? Did you not treat the life threatening thing first? Get your thoughts out. Even if you're not sure why you got it wrong, just start writing and put something.

I found myself wondering, “what is the most effective way to use AI when studying for Step beyond just asking it questions? How would a med student in the future use it?” In my view, in addition to using AMBOSS GPT to answer medical questions, AI can be used to aid in pattern recognition in test taking and clinical reasoning errors. I would start a new chat when beginning review of an NBME form and paste in this prompt as the first message:

“I'm conducting a metacognitive analysis of my errors when taking NBME Form XX for USMLE Step 2CK. I'm trying to extract as much information and as many actionable insights as possible for improving my Step 2CK score (my test date is X/X/XXXX). For the rest of this conversation, I'll give you screenshots of the NBME question and my thoughts on why I think I got it wrong and the thought process that led me to choose that answer choice. You tell me what you think, and then at the very end, we'll synthesize all of the errors into actionable rules that I can follow so I do not make those same mistakes again. We are looking for overall patterns in the mistakes I'm making.”

I’d screenshot the question (Command-Shift-3 on Mac), drag the image into the ChatGPT window, and paste in my analysis like in the examples above. ChatGPT would explain why my answer was wrong and, as a bonus, the thread became a single running log of all my missed questions. After I’d entered everything, I’d ask it to review the entire conversation for patterns in my errors. Once I’d logged all my misses, I finished with this prompt:

“Now take all the questions I've sent in here with my explanations and synthesize any patterns you see for why I’m putting these wrong answers. Then, give me a content breakdown across the NBME subjects so I can see where I’m missing the most questions.”

Lastly, the concise format I used for missed questions shown above translates easily into cloze Anki cards, but I limited this to NBME incorrects. The Anki burden was manageable leading up to the exam, roughly an hour per day focused only on NBME incorrects. These concepts repeat across forms and on the real exam. You need to hit these weaknesses relentlessly and fix them.

I did this whole process for NBMEs 14, 15, 16, and Free 120. I took an NBME about every 4 days leading up to the exam which built up endurance and allowed me to calibrate to NBME-style logic under time pressure. By the end, I had about 30 rules and I read through these before every NBME and before the real exam.

Finally, on test day, do the double-block start to build momentum then use 5 minutes for every break thereafter. Leave all multipart questions for the end so if you miss one of the sequential questions, it doesn't throw you off. Leave biostats/drug ads for the end of the block. Light caffeine the day of. Pack snacks and Tylenol, ibuprofen, Imodium, Tums in your backpack. Bring into the exam a clear water bottle with the label ripped off. Walk to the bathroom every break.

TL;DR: If you’re stuck in the mid-to-high 240s, the solution is not more practice questions. You have a solid foundation of clinical knowledge. It’s an in-depth metacognitive analysis of test taking and clinical reasoning errors you’re making on NBME questions.

2CK test taking strategies and ethics PDFs: 2CK Strategies and Ethics - Google Drive
Hi! I'm taking my boards here within 3 weeks. Would you be willing to share the results of your metacognitive analysis so I can see if it gave you any tips that it did not give me? Thanks!
 
Kind of a long post, but I hope it helps someone out there taking this exam someday. I’m on a gap year doing an MPH and it was up to me to schedule my exam sometime during the year. I started studying lightly in May but pushed my exam twice throughout the year (shouldn't have scheduled it in the first place). I hovered in the low-to-mid 240s for months, then had a late surge in the final 1 to 2 weeks (257 on NBME 15, 260 on NBME 16). Here are my scores, along with the percent correct in each section.

1/9/2026, Step 2CK: 265

1/7/2026, Free 120: 253 (predicted from 76%)

1/5/2026, Form 16: 260 (78%, 80%, 78%, 86%)

1/1/2026, Form 15: 257 (82%, 84%, 76%, 82%)

12/28/2025, Form 14: 241 (76%, 80%, 72%, 66%)

12/22/2025, UWorld SA2: 248 (70%, 78%, 78%, 68%)

9/9/2025, AMBOSS SA: 243 (53%, 73%, 73%, 80%)

8/30/2025, Form 13: 242 (76%, 78%, 70%, 70%)

8/14/2025, Form 12: 239 (72%, 70%, 76%, 68%)

7/25/2025, Form 11: 248 (76%, 74%, 78%, 80%)

7/4/2025, Form 10: 241 (86%, 76%, 68%, 64%)

5/10/2025, Form 9: 210 (72%, 60%, 60%, 44%)

I posted on Reddit a few months ago looking for advice because I didn’t know what else to do to get my score out of the 240s and there weren't a lot of posts about that specific issue. I eventually figured it out (initially based on a post by u/usethesleep), and I primarily attribute this to an in-depth NBME review and detailed metacognitive analysis of test taking and clinical reasoning errors.

Throughout my prep, I did all the usual stuff everyone talks about in every post-exam write up (UWorld, CMS forms, AMBOSS high yield modules on QI/patient safety/200 concepts, Mehlman HY PDFs, 2CK HY images PDF, Divine podcasts, Dr. High Yield on YouTube, B&B, AnKing, etc.). This got me into the 240s, but I hit a wall when trying to get into the 250s and beyond. No matter how many more practice questions I did, nothing would work. I read a short USMLE test taking strategies book and brushed up on ethics (PDFs linked below). Beyond that, here’s the process that got me a rapid score increase.

After taking an NBME, for the questions I got wrong, I would write this type of analysis into a Google Doc thinking honestly and simply “what was I thinking when I chose this answer?” I would write them in a concise format, like these examples:

SXQY (section X, question Y): Despite all the signs in the vignette for alcohol withdrawal, I saw the INR of 5.5 and chose FFP to treat that instead of alcohol withdrawal
  • Put FFP because I saw INR was 5.5 and thought we should correct it with FFP to reduce the bleeding risk
  • When do we ever treat a “high INR” anyway?
  • Just shows chronic synthetic liver dysfunction
SXQY: Thought platelets over 1 million = essential thrombocytosis -> this is NOT a safe rule
  • Platelets can be >1 million in reactive, especially after splenectomy
  • Plateletpheresis is only for essential thrombocytosis with life-threatening thrombotic events (stroke, PE, limb ischemia, etc.)
SXQY: 47M + no PMHx, no meds, normal vitals + volunteered at homeless shelter in last 4 years + WBC count 2,400 -> NBSIM I said was bone marrow biopsy
  • Answer was repeat blood count in 3 months
  • Got anchored with the low WBC count, even though patient had no symptoms or other signs of a malignancy warranting a BMB
  • Patient with incidental single lab abnormality with no symptoms -> do not pursue an aggressive workup
Then once per section, similar errors like these were consolidated into broader rules I could use for the next NBME. Here is the rule I got from the above examples:
  1. Don’t let a scary lab value hijack the clinical story; choose the treatment that addresses the pathology the entire vignette is about, not just to treat one lab value
Really force yourself to write these little analyses for each question. Why did you put that choice? Did you skip over a detail that would have swayed your answer? Did you anchor on a lab value? Did you avoid putting schizophrenia because it didn't say 6 months of symptoms, but the vignette implied a prodromal phase? Did you not treat the life threatening thing first? Get your thoughts out. Even if you're not sure why you got it wrong, just start writing and put something.

I found myself wondering, “what is the most effective way to use AI when studying for Step beyond just asking it questions? How would a med student in the future use it?” In my view, in addition to using AMBOSS GPT to answer medical questions, AI can be used to aid in pattern recognition in test taking and clinical reasoning errors. I would start a new chat when beginning review of an NBME form and paste in this prompt as the first message:

“I'm conducting a metacognitive analysis of my errors when taking NBME Form XX for USMLE Step 2CK. I'm trying to extract as much information and as many actionable insights as possible for improving my Step 2CK score (my test date is X/X/XXXX). For the rest of this conversation, I'll give you screenshots of the NBME question and my thoughts on why I think I got it wrong and the thought process that led me to choose that answer choice. You tell me what you think, and then at the very end, we'll synthesize all of the errors into actionable rules that I can follow so I do not make those same mistakes again. We are looking for overall patterns in the mistakes I'm making.”

I’d screenshot the question (Command-Shift-3 on Mac), drag the image into the ChatGPT window, and paste in my analysis like in the examples above. ChatGPT would explain why my answer was wrong and, as a bonus, the thread became a single running log of all my missed questions. After I’d entered everything, I’d ask it to review the entire conversation for patterns in my errors. Once I’d logged all my misses, I finished with this prompt:

“Now take all the questions I've sent in here with my explanations and synthesize any patterns you see for why I’m putting these wrong answers. Then, give me a content breakdown across the NBME subjects so I can see where I’m missing the most questions.”

Lastly, the concise format I used for missed questions shown above translates easily into cloze Anki cards, but I limited this to NBME incorrects. The Anki burden was manageable leading up to the exam, roughly an hour per day focused only on NBME incorrects. These concepts repeat across forms and on the real exam. You need to hit these weaknesses relentlessly and fix them.

I did this whole process for NBMEs 14, 15, 16, and Free 120. I took an NBME about every 4 days leading up to the exam which built up endurance and allowed me to calibrate to NBME-style logic under time pressure. By the end, I had about 30 rules and I read through these before every NBME and before the real exam.

Finally, on test day, do the double-block start to build momentum then use 5 minutes for every break thereafter. Leave all multipart questions for the end so if you miss one of the sequential questions, it doesn't throw you off. Leave biostats/drug ads for the end of the block. Light caffeine the day of. Pack snacks and Tylenol, ibuprofen, Imodium, Tums in your backpack. Bring into the exam a clear water bottle with the label ripped off. Walk to the bathroom every break.

TL;DR: If you’re stuck in the mid-to-high 240s, the solution is not more practice questions. You have a solid foundation of clinical knowledge. It’s an in-depth metacognitive analysis of test taking and clinical reasoning errors you’re making on NBME questions.

2CK test taking strategies and ethics PDFs: 2CK Strategies and Ethics - Google Drive
Hey there. Just wanted to reach out and thank you for this post. I followed what you said and made huge gains. Just got my score yesterday, and I was ecstatic. n=1, but if anyone is reading this, please give it a try because IT WORKS!