EM Text questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Koko

Koko
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) Atlas of EM (Knoop) vs. Greenberg's Text-Atlas of EM?

2) Clinical Procedures in EM (Roberts) vs. Color Atlas of ED Procedures (Custalow)?

3) Harwood-Nuss's Clinical Practice of EM vs. Rosen & Barkin's 5 Minute?

4) I have Dubin's ECG book, is Garcia's 12 lead ECG worht getting in addition?

I'm interested in picking up some of these as an MS IV heading into EM. Are any of these typically given out at the start of residency -- should I hold off on any at this point?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

UC Davis used Harwood-Nuss and we were given a copy at orientation. Lots of residencies give their inters whichever book they use. If you're going to start a residency in '06, meaning you might get a free copy of something in about 8 months I'd hold off. Pick up other stuff like the Atlas of EM, Goldfrank's, Robert's and Hedges and a good derm book. No one gives those out.

BTW I recommend the poorly titled but excellently illustrated Color Atlas and Synopsis of Clinical Dermatology by Fitzpatrick et.al.

docB said:
UC Davis used Harwood-Nuss and we were given a copy at orientation. Lots of residencies give their inters whichever book they use. If you're going to start a residency in '06, meaning you might get a free copy of something in about 8 months I'd hold off. Pick up other stuff like the Atlas of EM, Goldfrank's, Robert's and Hedges and a good derm book. No one gives those out.

BTW I recommend the poorly titled but excellently illustrated Color Atlas and Synopsis of Clinical Dermatology by Fitzpatrick et.al.

Thanks for the reply. Would you recommend Atlas of EM over Greenberg's Text-Atlas? I can get the latter at a discount, but don't want to get it if the other is better.

Any thoughts on the better procedure book?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
docB said:

Thanks for the reply. Would you recommend Atlas of EM over Greenberg's Text-Atlas? I can get the latter at a discount, but don't want to get it if the other is better.

Any thoughts on the better procedure book?

Thanks.

docB said:
Pick up other stuff like the Atlas of EM, Goldfrank's, Robert's and Hedges and a good derm book. No one gives those out.

Ahem ***clearing throat***, up here in the Great White North (where, I'll grant you there is little to do but read - as evidenced by the greater than 50% pregnancy rate within the residency), we get Harwood and Nuss in PGY-1 and both Roberts and Hedges AND Rosen's in PGY-2. But I second the call for Atlas of EM, great book. The other book I would recommend is River's Study Guide. The new edition is out in January '06 so older ones will pop up on Ebay (or PM me, I've got a third edition I'll let go cheap) or you could spring for the new one. It should carry you through the in-service for the next couple of years.

- H

FoughtFyr said:
Ahem ***clearing throat***, up here in the Great White North (where, I'll grant you there is little to do but read - as evidenced by the greater than 50% pregnancy rate within the residency), we get Harwood and Nuss in PGY-1 and both Roberts and Hedges AND Rosen's in PGY-2. But I second the call for Atlas of EM, great book. The other book I would recommend is River's Study Guide. The new edition is out in January '06 so older ones will pop up on Ebay (or PM me, I've got a third edition I'll let go cheap) or you could spring for the new one. It should carry you through the in-service for the next couple of years.

- H

Thanks for the thoughts. Where are you in the great white north? I went to undergrad in MN and will be heading out that way for an interview.

I know we're all focused on the interview season, but if anybody has other thoughts on my op, I would really appreciate the input.

Thanks.