em text recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xjohns1

SDN Angel
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm a fourth-year med student going into anesthesia but doing a rotation in em and interested in have a solid em experience and knowledge base. i'm wondering what texts you guys recommend. i don't need the most comprehensive resident-level text that costs $150 or something, but i'd like a comprehensive introductory text to use for the rotation and have as a reference. my school suggests hamilton, sanders, strange trott em text. any thoughts? thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

the pocket tintinalli is often on ebay for <10 dollars.

Personally i thought the other condensed tintinalli was better for a student rotation. Digested down into the most pertinent facts about a topic instead of microprint with just a little left out. I like the Just the Facts in Emergency MEdicine version.

Some people like the First Aid for EM for the rotation too, but I never used it

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a fan of the Secrets series.

Emergency Medicine Secrets is a great book (about $35)

I agree that Emergency Medicine Secrets is the most helpful during a clinical rotation and also enjoyable to read during downtime. This is the one book that I'd carry. All EDs will have a reference section with the big textbooks (Tintinalli, etc.) anyway.

Rosen's v.s. Tintinalli's? why do some residency programs say they use Rosen's or the other for reading/conferences etc......as opposed to the other. Are they that drastically different?

later

Wen used to use tintinalli's. Now we only reference it. I have both of these books and find them only useful when I am doing a presentation. both are so cumbersome and dry to read.

I don't regret buying either one, but they really don't add much to my overall reading.

roja said:
Wen used to use tintinalli's. Now we only reference it. I have both of these books and find them only useful when I am doing a presentation. both are so cumbersome and dry to read.

I don't regret buying either one, but they really don't add much to my overall reading.

I guess my real question is "is the a noticeable difference btw the two".
For example, is one geared toward a certain audience or something.

Or are they basically identical?

later

roja said:

So, roja, what are you using to study if not these two? You mentioned the color atlas earlier, do you find that sufficient? Or do you pull a Robbins and just suck it up and read them, dry and boring or not?

Thanks and take care,
Jeff