Frazier

Emergentologist
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2009
US
Hey everyone,

What is the difficulty of matching to a palliative fellowship straight out of an EM residency?

This would not be for a peds hospital.

I know most of these are through IM/FM departments.

Assuming the letters, scores, and CV are in order... is it still an uphill battle?

And, yeah, I know it pays less than straight EM... Such is life. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: miacomet
Apr 2, 2018
Status
Attending Physician
Hey everyone,

What is the difficulty of matching to a palliative fellowship straight out of an EM residency?

Assuming the letters, scores, and CV are in order... is it still an uphill battle?

I'd love to know this, too. I know others will flame me, but EM is such a scam. I wish students would realize.

Whatyousay

A few loose screws
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2009
Status
Have not had issues getting interviews to my top choices as someone going straight from residency to fellowship. Most of the programs appear to be very receptive towards emergency physicians, and most have had either current or recent fellows who were EM trained (some of whom were fresh grads).

Can't speak to how the match process will turn out, but at least from an interview side of things I've received more offers than I can handle. Doing an elective with your hospital's palliative service will obviously help out your application

Reactions: WilcoWorld
Apr 2, 2018
Status
Attending Physician
Have not had issues getting interviews to my top choices as someone going straight from residency to fellowship. Most of the programs appear to be very receptive towards emergency physicians, and most have had either current or recent fellows who were EM trained (some of whom were fresh grads).

Can't speak to how the match process will turn out, but at least from an interview side of things I've received more offers than I can handle. Doing an elective with your hospital's palliative service will obviously help out your application
Thanks! Is going straight from EM to Palli a thing now? How did you come to your decision? Why palli, not pain, occ med etc?

Oct 1, 2018
Ohio
Hey everyone,

Based on my experience with the interview trail this year, EM is the 3rd most common specialty (behind fm&im). If you have good letters and a personal statement which explains your motivation to go into the field, you should be good.

Best of luck!

Apr 2, 2018
Status
Attending Physician
Based on my experience with the interview trail this year, EM is the 3rd most common specialty (behind fm&im). If you have good letters and a personal statement which explains your motivation to go into the field, you should be good.

Best of luck!
I'm really interested in hearing more about EM--> Palli. Is this the result of EM being oversold to medical students? Or older docs transitioning out? Seems like a new trend....

Whatyousay

A few loose screws
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2009
Status
Thanks! Is going straight from EM to Palli a thing now? How did you come to your decision? Why palli, not pain, occ med etc?
Witnessed enough bad deaths that I wanted to learn a little bit more about end of life care. Was ultimately drawn to the pragmatism of the field, and it's refreshing to actually have the time to talk to patients and their families. I love working in the ED, but there are certain aspects of EM which I recognize will likely lead to burnout down the road if I don't diversify my clinical practice early on

Oct 17, 2018
New England
Status
Attending Physician

Can you PM me some places that interviewed you, or offered II, as an EM candidate? I do EM-Palliative care but did not do a formal fellowship, and will be advising residents from our EM program who want to apply to fellowship. I know that some of the fellowships have never taken an EM applicant, and my resident advisees might be better off not applying to places who might have a bias against EM (as opposed to IM, FM, etc).

Reactions: miacomet
Apr 2, 2018
Status
Attending Physician
Can you PM me some places that interviewed you, or offered II, as an EM candidate? I do EM-Palliative care but did not do a formal fellowship, and will be advising residents from our EM program who want to apply to fellowship. I know that some of the fellowships have never taken an EM applicant, and my resident advisees might be better off not applying to places who might have a bias against EM (as opposed to IM, FM, etc).
We'd all love this info...

C3PO2

2+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I was fortunate that most placed that I liked on paper offered interviews. I did not feel that there was a bias on the trail, and I enjoyed sharing personal stories from EM residency with strong Palliative overlap. I think your strong interest - shown with the personal statement, letters of rec and activities - will carry you along.

Last edited: