EM vs Family medicine post match help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kderekb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am a DO student and I am applying EM this cycle in both the DO and MD matches. Of course the DO match has already occurred and I didn’t match to the 2 programs I had interviews at. I still have 3 programs in the MD match (I auditioned at all 3) but I’m still worried I won’t match. I have decided family medicine is my backup but I am not sure when I should start contacting programs in the AOA post match. I have a few family med programs that I am interested in that have slots available but I’m afraid if I wait until March 12th the spots might be gone. Should I contact the DO programs now and tell them my situation? Or should I wait until I know for sure I have not matched. I know there is a chance I might match EM I just want to make sure I have options and not scrambling at the last second. And I know there is the SOAP but I just want to know about the AOA post match for now.

Members don't see this ad.

^ I am in a very similar situation. From what I understand we are supposed to wait until after SOAP to contact leftover AOA programs or it could be considered a match violation.

Match violation. Once you certify your list, you have committed to the match. Now theoretically, I guess you could contact the programs and accept some type of conditional position with a letter of intent, saying you'll accept an FP spot on the condition you do not match in the NRMP match. I'm not sure any places do anything like that. I doubt they do. At this point, I'd imagine they just wait and see what becomes available post-NRMP.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My question is why would an applicant roll the dice with so few interviews in both matches? I would always say have a backup if your viability to match is that questionable.

Reactions: 1 user
My question is why would an applicant roll the dice with so few interviews in both matches? I would always say have a backup if your viability to match is that questionable.

I think that’s true, but the soap is itself a back-up. Until all the transitional spots, IM spots, and FP spots are all filled up and the soap is no longer a viable backup, I think its a readonable backup plan as long as you dont care where you end up for your backup. On the otherhand, if you get say 5 interviews in your primary choice specialty, but say to yourself, “if I don’t match EM, I could be happy doing FP as long as I match around my hometown, or in the city that I’ve always wanted to live in, etc.”... then in that case actually interviewing in the backup specialty makes more sense.

Reactions: 1 users
Can i match in Soap.
244/249 Ck& CS pass First attempt. YOG 2012. 3 month USCE experience 2 Us LOR with One Canadian. Currently doing Internship In University Program in Internal medicine

Can i match in Soap.
244/249 Ck& CS pass First attempt. YOG 2012. 3 month USCE experience 2 Us LOR with One Canadian. Currently doing Internship In University Program in Internal medicine

Why wouldn't you be able to soap? Prob not in ortho but you should have no problems in im/fm.
You have very decent stats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Danny Boy! 2017 has shaken me up. I thought i had good chances. But matching take serious toll on you.