SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!


Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by Sorin, Mar 25, 2001.

  1. Sorin

    Sorin New Member

    Mar 24, 2001
    I graduated the Medicine Faculty in Romania 7years ago.I completed also 3years of residency in EM and I became a specialist.As of May 2000 I came to the USA with a green card.I prepare the Usmle examinations.Would you please be so kind and tell me what can I work as to sustain my existence? Any advice well appreciated .Thank you in advance.Good luck to you all !
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. turtleboard

    turtleboard SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

    Jun 3, 1999
    New York, New York
    I've heard of some Russian-trained MDs who went to work for some physicians in the New York City-area as PAs while working toward med school/re-training in the US.

    I don't know what legal issues you might face in working as a PA without actually having a PA degree/certificate, but I guess that's one way to make yourself useful.

    Tim Wu.
  4. Toran

    Toran Senior Member 10+ Year Member

    Nov 18, 1998
    Go visit some hospitals there in Dallas, and bring a resume. Do some job hunting to find out what will pay best, with the best experience.
    If you are looking for money, do you have any other skills for now? Maybe phlebotomy will pay the bills for now?
    Hope this helps,

  5. pvtautopsy

    pvtautopsy New Member

    Mar 22, 2001
    scottsdale, az, usa
    Actually, it is illegal to work as a PA without a degree and certification. In order to work in such a capacity, you need to complete a 2 year program and pass the national certifying exam. In my PA program, we had a Russian doc who was doing just that. There's no way around it though, they are pretty strict :-( sorry! I wonder if there is a way to get in touch with colleages in the same boat as you and see what road they have taken! Good luck!


  6. Hirurg

    Hirurg Member 10+ Year Member

    Sep 12, 2000
    Here is an advice,
    Try any ER in your city, Try ER Technician position. If they say they require license, go for any CNA position or security, then transfer to ER. You should expect to make about $10/hr.
    You could always try to teach at the local community college. (Biology, Chemistry etc.)
    That's the scoop,
    After you get you ECFMG certificate you can apply to Surgical assistant position while looking for residency.
    Good luck,

Share This Page