Emailing Residency Directors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anya79

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was told to email the residency directors of my top 3-5 favorite programs indicating that I will rank them highly.
Have you all heard similarly? Do the directors email back or just file that letter somewhere? Do they/are they allowed to engage in that conversation about how they'll rank you?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

No - if you are a current medical student, and applying through the Match, this is a violation of the NRMP Match.

Not a violation for the program to tell you how they will rank you just as it is not a violation for you to tell the program about your ranking of them. The violation part comes if you ask them about how they will rank you or they ask you how you will rank them.

http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/about_res/ensuring.html

Members don't see this ad :)
Not a violation for the program to tell you how they will rank you just as it is not a violation for you to tell the program about your ranking of them. The violation part comes if you ask them about how they will rank you or they ask you how you will rank them.

Thanks for the clarification. I thought that the OP's post was referring to this kind of conversation.

I was told to email the residency directors of my top 3-5 favorite programs indicating that I will rank them highly.
Have you all heard similarly? Do the directors email back or just file that letter somewhere? Do they/are they allowed to engage in that conversation about how they'll rank you?
Thanks.

I was told the same thing by my home PD and other faculty at my home school. I ended up emailing my top 4 and I have heard back from the PDs at 3 of the 4. 2 of the responses have not explicitly stated how they will match me, but they have said statements regarding my strength as a candidate or how the faculty felt about me, etc. 1 specifically referred to my position on their list.

No - if you are a current medical student, and applying through the Match, this is a violation of the NRMP Match.

The rules of the Match don't allow negotiation between a program and an applicant for a match position. Neither party can ask the other how they will be ranked. However, unsolicited, an applicant can tell a program that they are ranking a program #1. The reverse is true if the program would like to tell an applicant how they are ranking them.

There are several threads discussing these issue of Match violations under the "General Residency Issues" sub-forum "ERAS and the NRMP Match". Plus, check out this section of Match Participation Agreement from nrmp.org:

6.0 Restrictions on Persuasion
One of the purposes of the Matching Program is to allow both applicants and programs to make selection decisions on a uniform schedule and without coercion or undue or unwarranted pressure. Both applicants and programs may express their interest in each other; however, they shall not solicit verbal or written statements implying a commitment. It is a breach of the applicable Match Participation Agreement for either party to suggest or inform the other that placement on a rank order list is contingent upon submission of a verbal or written statement indicating ranking intentions. In addition, it is a breach of the applicable Match Participation Agreement for a program and applicant in the Matching Program to make any verbal or written contract for appointment to a concurrent year residency or fellowship position prior to the Matching Program. Only the final preferences of programs and applicants, as expressed on their final certified rank order lists, will determine the offering of positions and the placement of applicants through the Matching Program.

Last edited:
Sorry for the redundant post above. I guess I was taking too long to type and press submit!

is it too late to send those emails to the top programs on your list? meaning, have programs already formulated their rank list, and if so, will this change anything in your favor?

is it too late to send those emails to the top programs on your list? meaning, have programs already formulated their rank list, and if so, will this change anything in your favor?

It might and it will definitely not hurt.

Is it pretty standard for residency directors to respond to your emails? I wrote to my #1 and got no response. Not sure if I should lose sleep over it.

Many residencies have a "no response" policy, so as not to show favoritism to any candidate. Some will respond with generic acknowledgment of receipt of your message with little else included. These are normal practices and I would not look too much into your not "hearing back" from the program. However, if you wish to make sure your message was received, I would suggest a simple phone call (not another email) to confirm.

I would recommend doing this but most times I didn't hear from most programs including the one I matched at.