emails/letters after interviews here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I received a personal phone call from one of the above mentioned places that basically said they would be ranking me highly and that they hoped to see me start in July.

Pretty much zilch from everwhere else other than the "Thank you for interviewing". Hmm.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys, I was just wondering if anyone heard anything from University of Rochester? Also, has anyone gotten any love from St. Lukes-Roosevelt or Mt. Sinai? I have no idea how I am going to make it through the next 35 days!!!

So I got two emails today from programs. One started....Dear Andrew and then went on to say how much they enjoyed talking with me during my interview. The second started.....Dear Edward and went on to say how they were sorry they didn't get a chance to meet with me during my interview but how everyone said such great things about the visit. The second one actually seemed quite personal and mentioned specific stuff that I talked about during my interview but this is the problem.

My name isn't Andrew or Edward.

It's all BS. You would think that they would at least get the name right when they send out these emails. It could have been an honest mistake and the second email seems like that was the case but still, I wouldn't put to much faith into any of this crap.

I guess it is a good thing they always talk about the same stuff no matter who you are...

Members don't see this ad :)
I received a personal phone call from one of the above mentioned places that basically said they would be ranking me highly and that they hoped to see me start in July.

Pretty much zilch from everwhere else other than the "Thank you for interviewing". Hmm.

Which school? When you say "above," are you referring to pages 1 and 2 of this thread or one of the immediately preceeding posts?

I know of some people who DID NOT get a letter/postcard from Northwestern.

I know of other residency programs that call their top 5 and send letters to the next 5-10 applicants. I don't know if anesthesia works this way.

Anybody else have a clue? Cuz I don't. :p

Let's be honest. We're as human as anyone else, and we all know how humans LOVE to have our egos stroked. The smart programs realize that a 41 cent now for all of their favorite applicants probably pay off big in the end--even if you are well on down the match list. So that is how much stock I'm putting in these letters. They make me feel warm and fuzzy, and that translates to better XBOX playi--... er, um, patient care during my 4th year.

Can any residents, especially ones on rank committees tell us what some of these catch phrases mean.

a) highly ranked
b) you will be a great resident
c) hope to see you in June
d) ranked high enough so that you should match here
e) look forward to seeing you in June
f) we would be a great fit
g) you will be a great resident here
h) silence
i) thanks for letting us know you are interested
j) where ever you go they will be lucky
k) you have lots of choices hope you make the best one
l) add your own

Got the same personalized letter and postcard from NW

ditto.

although I am feeling a little extra crappy now that I know I didn't get a letter from Dartmouth and everyone else did.

anyone hear anything from mcg or oklahoma -- i am a little unsure on how to rank them both. i liked both for different reasons and think i would be happy at either but haven't heard anything. :mad:

Which school? When you say "above," are you referring to pages 1 and 2 of this thread or one of the immediately preceeding posts?

Just one of the previously mentioned schools in this thread. I don't really want to say which one since I know some of the residents frequent this site. You can PM me if you're really interested.

Members don't see this ad :)
a) highly ranked-Probably means you will be ranked highly , but no promises
b) you will be a great resident-tough to say, probably not real reassuring
c) hope to see you in June-probably a pretty good affirmation, but again, no promises. Since most programs start in July, it may mean "get here early"
d) ranked high enough so that you should match here-based on historical data for that program, in most years they would go down to the number where you are ranked
e) look forward to seeing you in June-see letter C
f) we would be a great fit-you will be ranked and they think you would be a good resident; no promises
g) you will be a great resident here-tough to say
h) silence-depends on the program; if other people are also getting silence, may mean nothing. If others are getting correspondence, may be a bad sign
i) thanks for letting us know you are interested-Please stop bugging us:laugh:
j) where ever you go they will be lucky-could be really good or really bad
k) you have lots of choices hope you make the best one-Probably a pretty good affirmation stating that the decision is now in your hands

That is my best effort. It really does depend on the program a lot. Both sides are told to trust noone, and that is probably the best way to go into the process. Go with your gut, but never put all of your eggs in one basket based on a promise made on the interview trail. I know of one person a few years back who only put one program on their rank list because they had a verbal promise from the PD. That person scrambled that year.

Anyone received any phone calls from Stanford, I havent, but thought I read somewhere that theyve done that in the past?

Received a very complimentary letter from one of my interviewers at Vanderbilt.

Her hand must have been super tired after writing all those postcards in purple ink.

Yeah I got the same postcard/letter. Her hand must have been really tired because I couldn't decipher half the words that were written on that postcard and I didn't really want to concentrate on it. So I hope it said some good things.

anyone get anything from MGH (besides dr zapol's letter, which seems to be the norm)....? emails, phone calls?

what's the deal with Brigham? Most people got the post interview letter but has anyone heard anything else out of them since?

Got an e-mail from the PD, phone call from the chairman, and a letter signed by both of them.

I'm away spending a month on a tropical "away rotation" but my roommate told me I got a letter regarding the salaries and benefits.. For what that's worth.

a) highly ranked-Probably means you will be ranked highly , but no promises
b) you will be a great resident-tough to say, probably not real reassuring
c) hope to see you in June-probably a pretty good affirmation, but again, no promises. Since most programs start in July, it may mean "get here early"
d) ranked high enough so that you should match here-based on historical data for that program, in most years they would go down to the number where you are ranked
e) look forward to seeing you in June-see letter C
f) we would be a great fit-you will be ranked and they think you would be a good resident; no promises
g) you will be a great resident here-tough to say
h) silence-depends on the program; if other people are also getting silence, may mean nothing. If others are getting correspondence, may be a bad sign
i) thanks for letting us know you are interested-Please stop bugging us:laugh:
j) where ever you go they will be lucky-could be really good or really bad
k) you have lots of choices hope you make the best one-Probably a pretty good affirmation stating that the decision is now in your hands

That is my best effort. It really does depend on the program a lot. Both sides are told to trust noone, and that is probably the best way to go into the process. Go with your gut, but never put all of your eggs in one basket based on a promise made on the interview trail. I know of one person a few years back who only put one program on their rank list because they had a verbal promise from the PD. That person scrambled that year.

I know there probably aren't a whole lot of you out there -- but of the people who interviewed at Virginia Mason -- did you get a phone call?

I'm away spending a month on a tropical "away rotation" but my roommate told me I got a letter regarding the salaries and benefits.. For what that's worth.

I got an email from the chair and the salary/benefit letter, but no phone call, email from the PD, or letter signed by both. Not sure what to make of that.

I got an email from the chair and the salary/benefit letter, but no phone call, email from the PD, or letter signed by both. Not sure what to make of that.

Not sure what exactly they sent you, but programs are required to provide a sample contract (so that there are no surprises); so if you didn't get one during your visit, this may be the way they take care of that requirement.

Not sure what exactly they sent you, but programs are required to provide a sample contract (so that there are no surprises); so if you didn't get one during your visit, this may be the way they take care of that requirement.

Yeah....I remember signing things at (almost) every interview saying we got a sample contract. I'm pretty sure we got that in our packet on interview day in Palo Alto, but not totally sure since I'm not at home to check it out and the packets do tend to run together after a while...

Either way, I'll continue to live in my little bubble of blissful optimism.

Got a letter today from Loyola saying that they are ranking me highly.

is it too late to send emails/ interact with programs? have most submitted their rank list?

is it too late to send emails/ interact with programs? have most submitted their rank list?

It's likely that most of them have started building their list, or completed it. That being said, I'm sure many of them still haven't actually submitted it. It can't hurt to send an email to your top programs. Maybe it will help, maybe it won't. And you could also be like many of us and try to decifer the programs feelings about you based on how they reply to an email of interest. :D

Let's put it this way: if you are still on the fence about two programs and you got a love letter from one of the two today it might change your mind a bit. Granted programs have less time and a longer list, but I think it is worth sending a few emails especially if you haven't done so already.

I received a phone call as a result of one of my emails and an email response from 2 others... nothing really changed about my list overall but it helped me think things through a bit more.

got an email from Penn State stating that I will be ranked favorably (whatever that means) and if I want to match there I have a good chance to.

Seeing that they sent the same thing to a lot of applicants a couple of years back, Im probably one of many that got this email.

got an email from Penn State stating that I will be ranked favorably (whatever that means) and if I want to match there I have a good chance to.

Seeing that they sent the same thing to a lot of applicants a couple of years back, Im probably one of many that got this email.

I got the same email today.

anyone get anything from MGH (besides dr zapol's letter, which seems to be the norm)....? emails, phone calls?

I got a phone call today. They wanted me to stop calling them and asking for an interview since interview season is done.

Interview or not, I'm still ranking them high.

:laugh:

I got a phone call today. They wanted me to stop calling them and asking for an interview since interview season is done.

Interview or not, I'm still ranking them high.

:laugh:

funny sh I t bro

i have heard from:
MGH - zapol letter, email from PD
Brigham - form-y seeming letter saying that they will rank me
BID - response emails re: my thank you notes, saying they would 'like to see me in boston in 2009' (from across the river???)
Penn - emails from people who interviewed me, one guy said that i should contact the PD of whoever was my top choice to let him/her know, and that it might help with the match

i have not heard from:
columbia
cornell
sinai
emory
hopkins

i wasn't worried, but now i think i should start!!!! best of luck to everyone

got an email from OK today saying that despite rumors that she was leaving Dr. Fitch will be staying on... good news for OK, bad news for Wake Forest.

Phone Call from Harbor-UCLA stating that they are ranking me highly

got an email from OK today saying that despite rumors that she was leaving Dr. Fitch will be staying on... good news for OK, bad news for Wake Forest.

Bumps OKC up (or keeps it there, anyway) on my list too. Just not in lieu of WF for me. :)

Got a nice personalized e-mail from the PD today at Wash U.

What kinds of things are people getting from UCSF?

My personalized Dr. Cox email just arrived from Wash U. Seems like he is making his rounds today.

Thank God this maddness ends in 10 days. Lists will be finalized and all we have to do is wait and pray.