Embarrassed to tell people I’m a pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VeraJ

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to attend a new mom group at my sons kindergarten school, and I’m sure one of the inevitable questions will be “what do you do for a living?”

And I’m dreading having to answer that! I just feel so stupid saying I’m a pharmacist, I feel like other people know the state of our profession and are going to judge me.

I know most non- pharmacist wouldn’t know much about the layoffs, store slowing, decrease in pay, etc.

But I’m just so embarrassed!
Anyone else feel the same way to when asked about what they do?

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 7 users
Can we block this troll?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So...when I attended the parent group meeting for my sons kindergarten school that started last week I was asked what do I do for a living... I said I was a fulltime student in my 30's. I guess I should've looked hard to see if everyone was judging me for "not landing my first career at an earlier age."

Convince me your not trolling and I'll state how others seem to have felt about the plumber, truck driver, accountant and stay at home mothers in that orientation meeting of my sons class.

I have to attend a new mom group at my sons kindergarten school, and I’m sure one of the inevitable questions will be “what do you do for a living?”

And I’m dreading having to answer that! I just feel so stupid saying I’m a pharmacist, I feel like other people know the state of our profession and are going to judge me.

I know most non- pharmacist wouldn’t know much about the layoffs, store slowing, decrease in pay, etc.

But I’m just so embarrassed!
Anyone else feel the same way to when asked about what they do?
I share your sentiment. I have a lot of friends who never understood why I attended pharmacy school or understood “what a pharmacist does besides count pills.” When the general public doesn’t value a pharmacist and the pharmacy profession is struggling internally with its own value proposition, that is a recipe for disaster on all fronts.

I share your sentiment. I have a lot of friends who never understood why I attended pharmacy school or understood “what a pharmacist does besides count pills.” When the general public doesn’t value a pharmacist and the pharmacy profession is struggling internally with its own value proposition, that is a recipe for disaster on all fronts.

Huh? You are clearly doing something wrong if the public doesn't value you.

I'm proud to be a pharmacist.

Reactions: 7 users
To be fair, none of them will likely remember what you do for a living or even your name, let alone judge you for it. Most people are too busy being distracted by their own life to even think about other peoples’ lives or judge them.

If you’re truly embarrassed to introduce yourself as a pharmacist and this whole thread isn’t a joke, you may have personal issues to hash out with a mental health counselor.

Reactions: 8 users
To be fair, none of them will likely remember what you do for a living or even your name, let alone judge you for it. Most people are too busy being distracted by their own life to even think about other peoples’ lives or judge them.

If you’re truly embarrassed to introduce yourself as a pharmacist and this whole thread isn’t a joke, you may have personal issues to hash out with a mental health counselor.

Many years ago I used to end the day worried about all the things I said and did around people.. then I started slowly realizing that “most people” are doing the same darn thing.. then I realized if everyone else is doing it, no one really has the time or energy to think about me and the things I said/did that day. This was a major breakthrough for me and how I approach my day.

Anyways it’s the same concept. No one really cares that op is a pharmacist whether they think good or bad about it.

Reactions: 1 user
I really like Stud Turkel's book, Working. What's your problem? Is your personal status so tied up with work?

I totally get not introducing yourself as a pharmacist if you're afraid you're going to get to really *know* the other moms. My version of it among lawyers are such inane things like: "How long does it take for coke/MJ/drug of the day to get out of my system?" or "What's the best anabolic steroid for bulk/Does it shrink my genitals?" or "My doctor told me I had herpes, tell me there's a cure for this/and I just got to know (in a sense) my wife's best friend who is married to another guy?" (I've also had questions that were extremely uncomfortable about blatantly illegal uses of certain drugs with the expectation that they would use them on someone.)

That sort of worry, I totally understand, but what sort of issue do you have with your honest work?

Yeah when I was in school and had to do show and tell about my parents occupation I felt embarrassed too. My mom was a teacher and my dad worked on airplanes. Other kids parents were on disability and collected free government money or welfare. It sucked to have the only parents that worked.

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.