Embarrassing question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TooNew

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a pre-pharmacy student and I get cold sores 1-2 a year. Are there any health policies that would restrict where I work in the future? Also, if I were working in retail, would I be allowed to work if I had a blister? It's very embarrassing to even ask this question, but it would be worse if I waited until after school to find out. I do manage it with valacyclovir and Abreva, but sometimes there is no warning until the blister appears.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The only place I can think of it where it *might* be an issue (and even then, I really doubt it) is if you're working in a sterile compounding environment. You shouldn't be preparing sterile compounds if you've got active rashes/sores, but that really refers more to things that are weeping/oozing. I doubt anyone would say anything to you.
 
doesn't everybody have cold sores/herpes? I've never heard of a policy against this......if there were some sterility need, then you could wear a face mask, but I've never seen anyplace where this needed to be done.