Embellishing on diversity essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
lol, do people think we're the same person? Honestly, I prefer it, as it puts all of the blame on you. 😛[/QUOTE]

Let them believe what they want...... I'm just a girl named April who is twenty 😉 I'll PM you w/ further questions
 
Hey, just though I should put my two cents in. A little background: 39 MCAT, ~3.8 GPA, and now entering a top 3 school for the upcoming c/o 2019. To me, when it comes to lying on the AMCAS, it shouldn’t be done half heartily, it requires meticulous planning, flawless execution and complete dedication. As has been expounded on multiple times in this thread, the consequences of failure are dire; If the school just suspects you’re lying, they probably will just not accept you. However, if they have hard evidence of dishonestly, they will probably notify AMCAS, etc. Of course, for privacy reasons, I can’t go into complete detail of what I lied about, but I’ll give a rough outline of the steps necessary to successfully put this off:

1. Pick what you what you want to lie about. I think the most important step in this is to know what you CAN’T lie about. Things like grades, MCAT and letters of recommendations are a no-no.( the last one is considered forgery and can get you into actual law trouble) In addition, I wouldn’t recommend anything that has the possibly of being verified, such as criminal histories, research publications, and attendance of program with set institutions. With these, the possibly of being caught are too great. All it takes is one phone call from an enthusiastic ADCOM for the ruse to be up. This means stuff like REU, major hospital volunteering and AmeriCorps/Peace Corps are off limits, so you really have to do some nominal volunteer work. So what are some good things to lie about? For me, my sweet spot was obscure hobbies, diversity stories and self-created orgs that didn’t really have a strong organizational connection. One example is (I didn’t use this one btw) staring an volunteer tutoring service to elementary school children, where you were in chance of recruiting fellow volunteers in area elementary schools. (use school teachers at the schools as your contact info, making sure to Google them beforehand so there won’t be phone numbers attached to the person) the most important thing is to create a large knowledge discrepancy between you and the interviewer.

2. PLAN PLAN PLAN For this, make sure you look at every facet of each activity and make sure you defense of it is solid. As stated in the thread, many people particularly interviewers will ask probing questions about the unique activity/hobby. Make sure to do as much research as possible about the subject. For me, an invaluable resource was reddit. A good gauge is if you can make a 300+ word posts in the subreddit pertaining to the topic and seem like an partaker of the hobby. Also, if the activity/hobby is niche/rare enough, you can intimidate the interviewer with your superior knowledge, forcing them to switch topics, although this may only be effective on student interviewers. (I did this once at UChicago with an student interviewer, who started to catch on) On contact info: get burner phones,. I suggest Walmart, and get at least two for SOILD stand out activities. There are plans for 10$ month, no minutes, so you can just add a nominal amount of minutes and keep it active for the year you’re applying.

3. Don’t tell anyone: self-explanatory. Take it to the grave. As already been said in a post, if the school ever finds out (even if you’re a 4th year) it’s ground for kicking you out. Don’t brag to friends, don’t confide in girlfriends, don’t tell anonymous internet forum members, anything.


Anyway, basically you just need to plan and use common sense, and you should be on your way to an acceptance in no time. For me, even though I got amazing grades, I didn’t really get out much and knew that the schools would question my EC and realize I’m just an ‘4.0 automaton”. To convey this, I lied/ heavily embellish on about 5 activity spaces. I was able to get some amazing acceptances, However due my meticulousness of my planning, including using burners, creating websites etc. Good luck!
:troll:
If not a troll, I really hope this is satire.
 
Hey, just though I should put my two cents in. A little background: 39 MCAT, ~3.8 GPA, and now entering a top 3 school for the upcoming c/o 2019. To me, when it comes to lying on the AMCAS, it shouldn’t be done half heartily, it requires meticulous planning, flawless execution and complete dedication. As has been expounded on multiple times in this thread, the consequences of failure are dire; If the school just suspects you’re lying, they probably will just not accept you. However, if they have hard evidence of dishonestly, they will probably notify AMCAS, etc. Of course, for privacy reasons, I can’t go into complete detail of what I lied about, but I’ll give a rough outline of the steps necessary to successfully put this off:

1. Pick what you what you want to lie about. I think the most important step in this is to know what you CAN’T lie about. Things like grades, MCAT and letters of recommendations are a no-no.( the last one is considered forgery and can get you into actual law trouble) In addition, I wouldn’t recommend anything that has the possibly of being verified, such as criminal histories, research publications, and attendance of program with set institutions. With these, the possibly of being caught are too great. All it takes is one phone call from an enthusiastic ADCOM for the ruse to be up. This means stuff like REU, major hospital volunteering and AmeriCorps/Peace Corps are off limits, so you really have to do some nominal volunteer work. So what are some good things to lie about? For me, my sweet spot was obscure hobbies, diversity stories and self-created orgs that didn’t really have a strong organizational connection. One example is (I didn’t use this one btw) staring an volunteer tutoring service to elementary school children, where you were in chance of recruiting fellow volunteers in area elementary schools. (use school teachers at the schools as your contact info, making sure to Google them beforehand so there won’t be phone numbers attached to the person) the most important thing is to create a large knowledge discrepancy between you and the interviewer.

2. PLAN PLAN PLAN For this, make sure you look at every facet of each activity and make sure you defense of it is solid. As stated in the thread, many people particularly interviewers will ask probing questions about the unique activity/hobby. Make sure to do as much research as possible about the subject. For me, an invaluable resource was reddit. A good gauge is if you can make a 300+ word posts in the subreddit pertaining to the topic and seem like an partaker of the hobby. Also, if the activity/hobby is niche/rare enough, you can intimidate the interviewer with your superior knowledge, forcing them to switch topics, although this may only be effective on student interviewers. (I did this once at UChicago with an student interviewer, who started to catch on) On contact info: get burner phones,. I suggest Walmart, and get at least two for SOILD stand out activities. There are plans for 10$ month, no minutes, so you can just add a nominal amount of minutes and keep it active for the year you’re applying.

3. Don’t tell anyone: self-explanatory. Take it to the grave. As already been said in a post, if the school ever finds out (even if you’re a 4th year) it’s ground for kicking you out. Don’t brag to friends, don’t confide in girlfriends, don’t tell anonymous internet forum members, anything.


Anyway, basically you just need to plan and use common sense, and you should be on your way to an acceptance in no time. For me, even though I got amazing grades, I didn’t really get out much and knew that the schools would question my EC and realize I’m just an ‘4.0 automaton”. To convey this, I lied/ heavily embellish on about 5 activity spaces. I was able to get some amazing acceptances, However due my meticulousness of my planning, including using burners, creating websites etc. Good luck!
giphy.gif
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Both parents have stable jobs and make 75K combined, blue collar jobs, so it could be plausable?

And there it is -- Actual, real, good diversity topic. Med students from 'stable blue collar' families aren't exactly common. Tell about how you managed to respect your family's values while striking out on another path for yourself.
 
Y'all need to watch Suits.

You'll be cruising through life thinking you're hot **** but the whole time you know that you're a fraud and can be exposed at any time. Your success will be a ticking time bomb and eventually it will explode. To quote my girl Kristen Stewart, you'll light your universe on fire and watch it burn (and not in a good way).
 
And there it is -- Actual, real, good diversity topic. Med students from 'stable blue collar' families aren't exactly common. Tell about how you managed to respect your family's values while striking out on another path for yourself.


You definitely are right. I have been private messaging him actually, and he does have the scores to be successful in getting admission into an US allopathic medical school. However, I hope you won’t lie to him in saying that when it comes to the top 20, top 10, top 5, he’s going to stand a chance against the undeniably talented applicants in the pool. I interviewed at 8 of the top 10, and at each interview, they time and again proved to be the most impressive group of individuals that I have even been a part of, much less risen above. You really think being from a ‘middle class family’ is going to cut it?
For all the effort it takes to set up a plausible lie, it feels like a person could just as easily, like, actually DO something interesting.
Again, I agree with you. A lot of time (brainstorming researching creating fake identities and websites etc.) has to be put in for one to be successful. But I’d like for you to consider these points:
1. Life isn’t clear cut. As a personal anecdote, freshman year, I attempted to volunteer at my school hospital. I tried all freshman year, coming in at least once a week, for them to continue to drag their feet and, when they even made the slightest of progress, they’d lose my file. I ended up getting another (real) clinical volunteer position for sophomore year onwards, but I lost all that time freshman year. Won’t it be nice to know that, at least if I were to fail, it would be my own fault, and due to someone else overlooking something?
2. In this method, I can actually create myself to become an perfect applicant. Again this kind of piggybacks off the last point, but it removes almost any constraint of reality, if you take the correct precautions. You can create yourself really to be the perfect applicant, the type you see on MDApps, even if you may not have all the Academic, social, charismatic qualities in a single package.
 
I've heard about an applicant who lied about playing the guitar. He was handed a guitar during his interview and it became very clear that he did not know how to play. The adcom then called 3 other schools in the area and made sure he didn't get in there.
 
You can create yourself really to be the perfect applicant, the type you see on MDApps, even if you may not have all the Academic, social, charismatic qualities in a single package.
If nothing else, this thread is an exquisite bouquet of sour grapes for the rest of us who are neither interesting, nor liars.
 
I wouldn't lie about anything in your applications. Given that adcom and also interviewers have had many experiences seeing/meeting people during their career I feel like it would be very easy to spot someone is lying or not. Let's just say you get an II and you are asked about those particular issue that you fabricated. Even if you're an excellent liar, interviewers can pick up something that you may not realize and ding you and potentially take away any chance of getting into medical school anywhere else.

Just don't make up stuff that you haven't done. Be honest. Career of medicine is not somewhere you want to lie. After all, you will be entrusted with someone's health, and lying in this industry will get you no where but the cell.
 
And my alternate identity is Superman.

Seriously just stop.

As I said before, it’s okay if you don’t believe me. Honestly, my original post wasn’t for people like you, who are either 1) uptight about ‘muh ethics’ or 2) amazing applicants in their own right; people are able to, to achieve academic excellence while being a part of clubs, sports teams, etc. ( the 40 hour a day type people). My post was for the school overachievers, the ‘4.0 automatons’ as an avenue to apply their skills of attention to detail, intelligence and execution as a method to get into a top med school. I was so successful at it, that I thought that I might as well pay it forward.
 
Hello all,

I am woking on my secondaries as I type but have been having trouble with the diversity essays. I seem to be not diverse whatsoever and need some added flair in order to standout amongst the pack. My question is, can ADCOMs actually check up and see if your diversity essay is true?

Ive wanted to be a doctor my entire life, come from a stable home, ORM, so I really don't see how I can contribute to the diversity of the class.

What if...... I embellished a little bit to sound more interesting and said something like:

-I come from a family of alcoholics, drug addicts, chose education over the high life
-Lived homeless until age 10
-Mother was a crackhead, raised siblings
-I lost 200lbs during H.S.

Obviously these aren't true at all, but I think an adcom would be more interested in my make believe weightloss, or crackhead mother as opposed to working with inner-city kids at a day camp.

Soooooo.....what do ya'll think?


Seriously sounds like a troll post. No offense if not; but really, it kind of does.
 
Y'all need to watch Suits.

You'll be cruising through life thinking you're hot **** but the whole time you know that you're a fraud and can be exposed at any time. Your success will be a ticking time bomb and eventually it will explode. To quote my girl Kristen Stewart, you'll light your universe on fire and watch it burn (and not in a good way).

Great analogy. I love suits
 
While this is clearly a troll thread, there is a good chance you might actually be considering this on some level. Let me just say that adcoms tend to be able to cut through BS quite effectively. All it takes is one to figure out you're lying and your app will be pulled from AMCAS if reported. Such things have happened in the past, such as one applicant who claimed to speak Spanish fluently that could hardly speak a word- the interviewer came in and conducted the entire interview in Spanish. Needless to say, he did not do well. I'm not going to bring up the sorts of questions I would ask to poke holes in your diversity essay, as I hope any liar will be caught, but let me just say that I had a rather unusual (and painfully true) story and was poked and prodded during interviews to see if I was legit. You will be tested, trust me.


LOL, that is truly awesome!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well for one I think it would be quite easy to talk about losing 200 lbs, or really anything I described because I could plan for the subsequent questions associated with my diversity stance when preparing for my interview. My question is.... can they FIND OUT??? Like will they need visual evidence of me before weightloss, need to see my mother or anything else


Dude, who knows? Can you lie like a sociopath? Maybe, but then the world of medicine will have bigger problems. God-willing someone will sniff out the BS. If you are sociopathic or antisocial, you are going to do whatever anyway. And situations like this are why I have to believe in a higher power--for people that are basically devoid of conscience. If you do have conscience, odds are it show in your non-verbal communication in some way. If someone ends of finding about your sweet, fairly privileged life afterwards, well, then you will have some big time "splaining" to do Lucy, and even after your give your explanation, they won't believe you, and you will be done--have lost who knows how many years of MS tuition.

It's just squirrely and creepy. It's lying and being a squirrely creep. Yea, don't be a lying, squirrely creep.
Although you may laugh if you believe otherwise, in my faith there is a proverb that says, "Know your sins will find you out." Eventually things come out--or as my GM used to say, "It'll all come out in the wash." Everyone gets processed and washed so to speak, especially in medicine and healthcare. After that the feet go to the fire.

But, you know I want to punch myself for getting pulled into a troll post. Crap!
 
Go ahead and do it. You won't be accepted based off one diversity essay. You'll get flat out rejected after a skilled interviewer grills you and finds out you're lying. Please do it and help increase our chances (albeit marginally). I'm scared that people like you want to go into this field
 
Status
Not open for further replies.