Emergency Medicine 2013-2014 Residency Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks everyone ;)

Members don't see this ad.

250s/AOA matched my #3 according to the glitch. Happy but not ecstatic.. numbers aren't everything to future applicants. Congrats everyone on matching at the end of the day well all be EPs!

Members don't see this ad :)
Since I have a similar Step 1 to LaCasta and was planning on taking Step 2 around mid-October, could someone comment on this?

I have multiple aways I'm trying to set up and would either have to take Step 2 very early (June) or in mid-October. I guess I could take before then, but it would be on a weekend during a possible sub-I/away rotation.

Any tips? If I feel like I may score +15-20 points higher with better prep, is it better to take in June or October.

Just wanted to reply to this. I didn't take my Step 2 until mid-December (originally planned for November, but a few things came up and I had to reschedule). I was invited to interview everywhere that I applied except two programs, and no one asked me about the missing Step 2 score. My stats are 249/254 and AOA. I did make sure to send my score to programs as soon as it came in and also to email my top three programs to let them know. I don't think the timing of Step 2 is crucial as long as you did well on your Step 1 but that's just my opinion :) Good luck, and good luck tomorrow everyone! I can't wait.

Just wanted to reply to this. I didn't take my Step 2 until mid-December (originally planned for November, but a few things came up and I had to reschedule). I was invited to interview everywhere that I applied except two programs, and no one asked me about the missing Step 2 score. My stats are 249/254 and AOA. I did make sure to send my score to programs as soon as it came in and also to email my top three programs to let them know. I don't think the timing of Step 2 is crucial as long as you did well on your Step 1 but that's just my opinion :) Good luck, and good luck tomorrow everyone! I can't wait.
Agreed. I did well on step1 (>250), didn't take step2 until October/November and was invited to interview at all but 2 programs. I got asked once or twice if I had taken it yet, but they didn't really seem to care. If you have a good app otherwise, I would say that it doesn't matter.

Did no one who caught the glitch on-time match at their #1? :thinking:

Best of luck as you guys open your envelopes today!

Rest assured that no matter where you land on your rank list, this time next year 98% of you will be saying "I matched where I was meant to be."

Reactions: 1 user
Best of luck as you guys open your envelopes today!

Rest assured that no matter where you land on your rank list, this time next year 98% of you will be saying "I matched where I was meant to be."

The program I matched at wasn't at the top of my list.
There was one aspect of the program which didn't seem like a good fit to me.
2 years in, that same thing I disliked is without a doubt the best part of my training.

Congrats to everyone who matched.
Work hard, do outside studying.
You will become a great doc at any program if you put in the effort.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
#4! Not the top of the list but the only thing that kept it from the top was location which I think I'm still going to appreciate so I'm thrilled :)

Reactions: 2 users
Congratulations to everyone on their Match results! I hope you are happy with where you matched. I'm confident you will find your footing and be successful in your careers. Approach residency the same as with everything in life, with a positive attitude. At the end of 3 or 4 years, you'll look back and be grateful for the experience at your program.

:soexcited::thumbup::highfive::claps:

Reactions: 1 users
Matched at my #1 -- staying in my awesome hometown of Buffalo, NY for Emergency Medicine at the University at Buffalo!!! So freakin excited. I'm getting married in June and my fiance is also from Buffalo, and both of our families are here. Can't wait to start a life and a career in the city closest to my heart.

:hardy::love::soexcited::clap::banana::biglove::soexcited::nod::rofl::soexcited::highfive::biglove:

Reactions: 6 users
Almost my entire match list, I felt I'd be happy at any of the programs and with the people there. My list was mainly based on geography. I matched at one of the places I liked, maybe not the best geography but I love the program. I'm still excited and very happy in becoming an EM doc!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
#4! Not the top of the list but the only thing that kept it from the top was location which I think I'm still going to appreciate so I'm thrilled :)
Congrats bro!!

I matched at my #1, LSU - Shreveport!

Happy Happy Happy

Reactions: 2 users
Hey all,

I'm a current M2 who's very interested in EM. I was hoping I could gain some insight from those who have made their way through the EM residency application process over the past few months.

What makes a competitive application for EM? Step scores? ECs? Research? Grades? For those who matched at more competitive programs, what about your application do you think set yourself apart from everybody else?

Seeing that I have two years left, I'd love to do anything possible to make myself the best applicant I can.

Thanks for any and all advice, and congrats to all of you M4s who have matched!

I matched #4 as well. It was actually my #2, my wife just didn't want to live in a major city. Chicago is pretty major and I'm excited.

Matched number 9. Not sure what happened. My ego is a bit hurt but the program is solid so I'll make the best of it.

Matched #1. I AM PSYCHED!

Last edited:
Congrats!!! UB was super high on my rank list and I loveddd the program! So good luck there you will get great training :) I am heading to Western Michigan University in Kalamazoo and super excited!!! Huge EMS focus at my program which is something I am very interested in. Congrats to everyone!!!! :)

Matched at my #1 -- staying in my awesome hometown of Buffalo, NY for Emergency Medicine at the University at Buffalo!!! So freakin excited. I'm getting married in June and my fiance is also from Buffalo, and both of our families are here. Can't wait to start a life and a career in the city closest to my heart.

:hardy::love::soexcited::clap::banana::biglove::soexcited::nod::rofl::soexcited::highfive::biglove:

Congrats!!! UB was super high on my rank list and I loveddd the program! So good luck there you will get great training :) I am heading to Western Michigan University in Kalamazoo and super excited!!! Huge EMS focus at my program which is something I am very interested in. Congrats to everyone!!!! :)
Very Nice! I did a rotation there and loved my time there. If you're an outdoors person there is loads to do in the area and K'zoo wasn't as bad as people make it out to be. Strong program with good leadership... you scored!! Congrats

Matched! I'm going to Vidant-East Carolina University in Greenville NC. No more cold WI weather :)

Matched! I'm going to Vidant-East Carolina University in Greenville NC. No more cold WI weather :)

Congratulations, This was my home program and will be a great place for you to train!

See you in June! We can talk Joss shows, since we both clearly love one of them.

I'm shipping up to Boston! Matched at HAEMR -- very stoked.

The only downside is after looking at rent, I'm going to be homeless... :laugh:

Headed to Mercy St. Vincent in Toledo, OH! #5 (mostly because of location) but love the cowboy mentality of training there and LifeFlight!

Anyone else heading here??

To all those who matched, how many programs did you have on your rank lists? How much research did you have/and is it important to have it? Did you have step 2 scores in or no?

To all those who matched, how many programs did you have on your rank lists? How much research did you have/and is it important to have it? Did you have step 2 scores in or no?
I think the old thinking of "Don't rank a place if you would be miserable there" is going away, since it's becoming more a reality that people won't match into their chosen specialty due to the higher competition for residency spots. You should probably rank every place you interview at if you want to match in a specific specialty. You must balance it with the horror of going through the very unpredictable SOAP process, and the very real possibility that you'll have to do an internship in a field you don't like and re-applying the next year. I know there are great stories of people going through SOAP and getting a dream position, but those are rare.

Last edited:
Ranked 15 (15 was a lot of interviews to go on. really shoulda cut out a few of them)
Matched in top 3

Had 1 reasearch project/poster presentation. Was only asked about it at 2 places.
Step 2 was in shortly after the application opened up. I improved 30 points from step 1 so I think it really helped me get so many interviews

Applied- 18
Interviewed - 13 (declined 4)
Ranked - 13

Matched #1

I did no research throughout school, and did not take step 2 until november.

Matched Number 1! Took Step 2 early. Ranked 13 places.

I was also an intern who didn't know what he wanted to do initially, do I'm an odd example.

Had five interviews, and four additional for a different field (no way I was soaping).

Both step 1 and 2 were 230s and on my record.

I had three publications (first author on two) at time of application. As well as a first place poster at the state level for a case report and a first place poster from the AAMC poster competition on unpublished research.

Matched my number one.

Applied 29
Interviewed 10 - declined many
Ranked 10
Matched #1

Took step 2 in Nov.
No EM research. Published a surgery paper sometime around end of 3rd beginning of 4th year. It was on my ERAS.

Applied 35
Interviewed 15, declined many, rejected from about five or so.
Ranked 15
Matched #1

Practically no research, but lots of community service commitments. Took Step 2 CK in early September. CS in November.

My two cents about Step 2 in regards to residency applications. I remember being stressed out about it because I thought I scheduled it a bit late. And I think I was actually pushing it, because the same day I got my score report back, I got a couple of interview invitations from some nice places. Some places mentioned that they value CK highly, and I remember hearing about some research that indicated your score correlates well with resident performance (or at least relatively better than every other objective measurement, too lazy to look into it). If you're thinking about pushing CK, my advice is to not dither and at least take it so that it comes back either before ERAS opens or in early interview invitation season. And then there are the rumors that some places need CS in order to rank you... play it safe and get it over with as well.

Applied 25, Interviewed 11, Declined 5, Matched #1

2 posters, 2 abstracts both in EM. non-traditional. H/H. CS in November. CK in December with increased score of about 20 points. I think it's best to take them earlier than I did because I think there are some programs that like to see them for interviews.

Applied t0 31.
Got 27 invites
Went in 12 interviews, ranked all 12
Matched #1.
Had a couple of research projects/posters but no pubs and not EM related. Never came up in interviews so I don't know how much of a factor it was. Took Step 2 early (just to get it over with) and had scores by application season

Applied: 35
Invites: 32
Interviewed: 14
Ranked: 12
Matched: #1

No med school research, had a semi-unconventional major in undergrad and had some medium-intensity leadership roles and interesting accomplishments in med school
Took Step 2 CK in October. Not sure how much impact it makes either way, although having a complete application with all your LORs into ERAS before your application is submitted seemed to play a role.

Applied: 25
Invites: 21
Interviews: 13
Ranked: 13
Matched: #1

I agree with LobsterMan that having a completed application makes a difference. I didn't get my second SLOR submitted to the system until mid October and I had places tell me later that they couldn't send out interview invites until they were both in.

It could be debated whether or not CK is integral to interview invites, but I would advice to take that earlier (to get out of the way while you still know something, and to have it on your application).

It could be debated whether or not CK is integral to interview invites, but I would advice to take that earlier (to get out of the way while you still know something, and to have it on your application).
I think the old adage is still very pertinent... if you need Step 2 to bolster a weaker app then it IS absolutely integral to get it done early (and do well of course). If your app overall is fairly to very strong without it then waiting a bit probably won't "cost you" invites, but having it early could potentially earn you a few. I still believe early is better... have everything they want to see when the app goes live. If you're concerned you're going to hurt your app by taking Step 2 early then that simply means you need to study more. It's not that hard of a test and much more "doable" after completing 3rd yr and a little studying than in the middle of audition/application/interview season. As for my stuff...

Applied: WAY too many (seriously...)
Invites: 18
Interviews: 17
Ranked: All
Matched: #4

No research and was never asked about it or why I didn't have any. Did have significant prior medical experience though and that came up in every single interview. Step 2 was done in July which looking back was good but wish I had finished it before audition rotations started.

I'll bite. I agree with Quacka, early is better in most cases when it comes to Step 2. I did mine early July if I recall correctly. Also I'm a non-trad student with a career before med school which I would argue really helped me. I had a less than stellar step 1 and a very solid step 2. No research at all (some undergrad without publication) two ER rotations.

Applied: 40 programs (way too many, seriously)
Interviewed: 6 (declined about 9 or so).
Ranked: 6
Matched #1

I was never asked about my lack of research, step 1 score, etc. I was asked once about how I felt about research and I told them my undergrad research taught me one thing ... that I hate bench research. Got lots of love letters from that institution. lol I've said it several times across the threads, be honest and be yourself. Understand who you are and create your application (including involvement in social, leadership roles) to present who you are. If you are honest and are involved in things you truly enjoy and care about you will come across so much better in your interviews.