Emergency Medicine 2014-2015 Residency Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoyMilk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello future EM Badasses :welcome:

I know this is early, but I figured I would start a thread for the students (including myself) applying for emergency medicine in the 2014-15 cycle.

:xf: Good luck to all of us! Lets hope we all match at our #1 spots! :xf:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm joining the crowd.

I've come to the conclusion that EM is the best that medicine has to offer.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm joining the crowd.

I've come to the conclusion that EM is the best that medicine has to offer.

Absolutely! Though overly sensitive people probably do not thrive in the ED

I hope you all chat about your away rotations as much as possible. I'm an M2, but there are a few sites I'm really interested to know more about. We'll see if I even end up applying for EM when all is said and done, though.

Congratulations to the soon-to-be fourth years on choosing EM! If you have any questions about applying, always, the interview process, or about the U of MD program (that's where I am), please don't hesitate to message me.

Good luck!

I hope you all chat about your away rotations as much as possible. I'm an M2, but there are a few sites I'm really interested to know more about. We'll see if I even end up applying for EM when all is said and done, though.
I will...after match day. Slightly paranoid about having a pretty recognizable spread of places I'm rotating/applying to. More than happy to pm my experiences before then, however. Either staying southern Cali, or moving back to the southeast.

I wish I didn't have to use Firefox every time I wanted to log into ERAS.

UWorld is the devil. One good block gets your self esteem up followed by a massive crash and burn on the next one.

So jealous of all the people graduating.

/end complaining.

I wish I didn't have to use Firefox every time I wanted to log into ERAS.

UWorld is the devil. One good block gets your self esteem up followed by a massive crash and burn on the next one.

So jealous of all the people graduating.

/end complaining.
but it's the best thing for the steps, keep at it! good luck

Reactions: 1 user
Anybody know if there are new programs opening up this year? I think FAU was thinking about opening a new EM program for 2015, but haven't heard anything since then. On FREIDA, saw Kaiser Permanente, New York Medical College at St Joseph's and University of Tennessee Murfreesboro. Were these new last year or are they new for this year?

Anybody know if there are new programs opening up this year? I think FAU was thinking about opening a new EM program for 2015, but haven't heard anything since then. On FREIDA, saw Kaiser Permanente, New York Medical College at St Joseph's and University of Tennessee Murfreesboro. Were these new last year or are they new for this year?

My understanding is st Joseph's is new as of last year. But that's from word of mouth, I didn't apply there for ACGME because it's also AOA approved for a buttload of spots and I'm. DO (so why make applying harder then it needs to be).

There will be two new programs in Tennessee accepting residents 2015 - one at UT Memphis and one in Rutherford County (just outside of Nashville). Not sure how many spots in each.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if it will be for the next app cycle (probably not), but Reading Hospital in Reading, PA is putting together a program. Probably a number of years away is Chester-Keystone Health System in Chester, PA (just outside Philadelphia). CKHS has hired their program director who came from an old program in Philly. I'm curious to see if anything will change with Aria's EM program (Philadelphia) as they have hired a new chair of EM.

Time has definitely flown by in med school... Can't believe I'll be applying EM in just a few short months!

I agree! I can't believe this is all happening so soon. I was sitting in my 1st year lecture hall the other day and I can't believe how quickly time has passed. Looking forward to discussing the upcoming application cycle with all of you as we move forward. Best of luck to everyone this year! :)

When is the latest a reasonable person with an average step1 should take Step2?

What are you asking?

Are you asking how late you can take it and still be considered for interviews?

Are you asking when you should take it because you plan on doing better than average on Step 2 and want that taken into account?

If the former: whenever the hell you want.
If the latter: Look at the USMLE reporting schedule. Take it on a date that will get your score in before Sept 15th which is when you can start submitting your application.

Take it on a date that will get your score in before Sept 15th which is when you can start submitting your application.

Sometimes there's a big block of time during which scores get delayed until october because of the high volume of people taking the test. It's totally ok if your score gets delayed (usually it'll come in like 1st or second week of October). Obviously earlier is better but if you need a couple weeks to study after 3rd year, don't worry about an early October score release since some places don't bother looking at apps until the October 1st deans letter release. Just make a big improvement and send the score out as soon as you get it.

My suggestion would be to take it as soon as possible after completing third year. My school gave us 2 weeks off between 3rd and 4th year and I studied and took it then (last 2 weeks of June). I don't regret it. Get it out of the way. If you did well on 3rd year shelfs, you'll do well on step 2. If you didn't do well, then I wouldn't fault you for taking a few more weeks to study. But, get it done by August.

Anybody thinking about going to the FCEP meeting (Symposium by the Sea) in August? There's a one hour block specifically for students but I'm wondering if that isn't geared more for M1/M2s.

I haven't been to symposium by the sea, but I've practiced academic EM in FL, and I am pretty certain that you will have an opportunity to speak with representatives from most every EM program in FL at the meeting. I would guess that there will be plenty of opportunity to ask questions about the upcoming match cycle.

I haven't been to symposium by the sea, but I've practiced academic EM in FL, and I am pretty certain that you will have an opportunity to speak with representatives from most every EM program in FL at the meeting. I would guess that there will be plenty of opportunity to ask questions about the upcoming match cycle.
Thanks for the advice!

So I'm finishing my last AI in EM in Mid-September, I'm assuming I'll get my SLOE from them by early October. Is that late for getting early interviews? I'll already have one in from my home institution well before then.

So I'm finishing my last AI in EM in Mid-September ... I'm assuming I'll get my SLOE from them by early October.

I think your timeline is a little optimistic. Maybe I'm alone here, but my letters took 4-6 weeks to come in from my away and home rotations respectively.

That said, this isn't a major problem. If you already have (or will have) 3 LORs by the time ERAS opens up, it's almost a complete non issue. If this SLOE will be your 3rd letter, then many programs wont look at you until that letter comes in. It still isn't super late though so I wouldn't worry.

I think your timeline is a little optimistic. Maybe I'm alone here, but my letters took 4-6 weeks to come in from my away and home rotations respectively.

That said, this isn't a major problem. If you already have (or will have) 3 LORs by the time ERAS opens up, it's almost a complete non issue. If this SLOE will be your 3rd letter, then many programs wont look at you until that letter comes in. It still isn't super late though so I wouldn't worry.

Thats what I was worried about. A recent graduate that rotated where I'm going said he was impressed at how quickly their SLOE turn-around time was.... hoping it'll be the same this year.

Yep one of my SLOEs took about 4 weeks.

you should be able to, I can't remember but I think only acep and saem has a dedicated med student recruiting gathering. at sym there's the sim wars, CPC challenge, and posters from all the FL residences. there will usually be some resident standing by the poster giving a little intro. that's a great time to meet and greet.

the other opportunity is in july at Florida med assoc in orlando but that is for all specialites. same thing...posters, residents, trapped for 2-3 hours. from what i saw, only a few from EM represented (at least that i recognized as EM), USF and FL hosp.

Last edited:
We have our own local networking event for the Mid-Atlantic programs through EMRA. You can see last year's flyer here.

We have our own local networking event for the Mid-Atlantic programs through EMRA. You can see last year's flyer here.
I went to that in 09 as a student. it's worth going to network. i want to say there more and more local event's popping up. look at the websites, saem, emra. some med schools will bring in residents to speak on "career day". if theres a region you want to go, it's worth checking into

So I feel kind of stupid asking this, but how does your SLOE go from your attending's hand to ERAS? I went on the CORD site and tried to read up on it, but no luck. Do you give them a coversheet from ERAS and then it gets uploaded like a regular letter? Thanks!

So I feel kind of stupid asking this, but how does your SLOE go from your attending's hand to ERAS? I went on the CORD site and tried to read up on it, but no luck. Do you give them a coversheet from ERAS and then it gets uploaded like a regular letter? Thanks!
At my home institution they said they'd take care of it, and I didn't do anything. On my away elective I printed out a letter request form just like a normal letter for ERAS and gave it to the guy. Both situations worked out fine.

some print it for me , some don't. no big deal. it's just a cover sheet, letter, and upload. I give the letter to you also just in case. I am pretty open about evals/feedback and writing letters so there will be no surprises in the letter.

Thanks! My first away is right around the corner and I am feeling overwhelmed with trying to listen to all the EMBasic podcasts, cleaning up my nuclear wasteland of an apartment and oh yeah, Step 2.

First EM shift today, loved it!!

Favorite CC: "Chess pain".

Reactions: 1 users
Have fun guys - Good luck! I'll be seeing some of you around if you happen to rotate in NC

My first EM elective ends Aug 22 and second on Sept 19. I know ideally I would have both SLOEs by Sept 15, but that will not likely be the case. How much will this affect my interview invites if I only have one SLOE in by the end of Sept, and the next by mid Oct , hopefully? I will have my step 2 ck score back before my app goes out if that makes a difference. Thanks

As long as you have 3 letters in by Oct 1st you're fine. Most EM programs don't look at people until then anyway because they don't have your dean's letter till then. If you only have 2 letters in at that point, a lot of programs won't look at your application until the 3rd letter is in.

Things I learned today/were entertaining:
  • "Blood wen i pee"
  • Propofol makes for interesting conversations.
  • It can be really hard to sedate 350 lb people.
  • Stories that begin with those "two guys that just jumped me".
  • The smells! And strongly desiring to burn scrubs after shifts.
My attending said something though that is concerning--he was like, "We're emergency doctors, not diagnosis doctors." That's a big part of why I want to go into EM. I actually get kind of annoyed when the dispo is unknown. I'm not saying that I need to know what subtype of leukemia someone has but not getting to answer the "So what happened to patient X?" is what bothers me. Did they live? Die? Discharge? I guess in a way it's like having closure. Does this mean I am supposed to go into IM?

I actually get kind of annoyed when the dispo is unknown. I'm not saying that I need to know what subtype of leukemia someone has but not getting to answer the "So what happened to patient X?" is what bothers me. Did they live? Die? Discharge? I guess in a way it's like having closure. Does this mean I am supposed to go into IM?

Not at all - it means as a resident you will complete your pt f/u logs every month and have your answers.

Reactions: 1 users
Can anyone suggest a good/the best EM app (or any medical app in general) that they like..... EMres vs palmEM etc. THANKS!

Can anyone suggest a good/the best EM app (or any medical app in general) that they like..... EMres vs palmEM etc. THANKS!

WikiEM. You can download it as a stand alone app or through AgileMD. Free either way but the AgileMD app runs more smoothly than the stand alone version.

Dilemma

How would it look if I didn't have my second SLOR until around December. I should have my 1st one shortly. I currently have a 2nd rotation scheduled at a program that I am very interested in but looks like I have to cancel it because of some other school stuff. I do have a 3rd scheduled at a program that I am not so much interested in but it's not until November,

what do you guys htink

Dilemma

How would it look if I didn't have my second SLOR until around December. I should have my 1st one shortly. I currently have a 2nd rotation scheduled at a program that I am very interested in but looks like I have to cancel it because of some other school stuff. I do have a 3rd scheduled at a program that I am not so much interested in but it's not until November,

what do you guys htink

It won't make any difference in December. By that point, you've already received pretty much all of your interview offers.

ok so I guess how bad is it if I only have one SLOR and would the program that I am canceling the rotation at hold it against me you think? I'm trying to figure it out a way to keep it but I really don't think im gonna be able to which sucks

i'm a DO student btw, so no home program

Last edited:
ok so I guess how bad is it if I only have one SLOR and would the program that I am canceling the rotation at hold it against me you think? I'm trying to figure it out a way to keep it but I really don't think im gonna be able to which sucks

1. Just because you're a DO student doesn't automatically mean no home program.
2. Are you applying ACGME or AOA. Interview season is basically done by December.

Getting blackballed is possible, but program specific. I had 2 aways at different times that I was accepted to but later had to cancel. Come interview season one of them interviewed me, the other didn't. As to Siggy's comment, it's basically right except I should clarify that interview invites have basically all gone out already, however, actual interviews go through the end of January.

1. Just because you're a DO student doesn't automatically mean no home program.
2. Are you applying ACGME or AOA. Interview season is basically done by December.

1) no, but it does make it more likely
2) ACGME primarily