Emergency Medicine chance with 468/80 COMLEX level 1 score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

microshar88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I was in the midst of my rotation today when I checked my phone to find my score, I was relieved by the fact that I had passed. But I was very shocked as how my score could be so low and far off from the COMSAE exams I had taken and the 75% timed non tutor comquest average I had gotten. I had also done Uworld as practice too as well as Pathoma. I felt really good coming out of my exam and I felt I had an "easy" test compared to how others had posted, perhaps that is why my test had a higher curve?

At any rate, I was wondering, looking forward, what my realistic outlook would be if I wanted to still pursue emergency medicine? I am still keeping an open mind to all specialties, but I had done a lot of work in the ER and shadowed several physicians before coming into DO school. Subsequently, I thought it was something I may enjoy.

I am a mostly an A/B student at my school with an upward trend ( around 3.4 GPA). I have ER relevant EC's nothing too substantial though. I did not take the USMLE step 1 as I did not feel that I would get the average score on it and was feeling like the COMLEX questions were cake compared to my USMLE world q's. I feel that I may have gotten a <200 score had I taken it. I am flexible in terms of location as I have no family. I just want a spot and don't care where it is.

I also do like OMM and would love an AOA residency, but would be open to an ACGME one too. I know that the generic advice would be to not get too focused on EM and also do great on Step II, but I was wondering how competitive or uncompetitive this score is? I know it is substantially lower than the average. I was just wondering if my tentative goal of going into EM is even a realistic possibility at this stage or if I should just forget it and stick to something with a lower average score.

I didn't just wing this exam and felt it was a well written test for whatever it is worth. I even studied (and enjoyed studying OMM) regularly. I waited until the last possible day to take it in order to maximize my scoring potential. I'm just at a loss as to what happened. But I am also grateful that I passed as I know some classmates who did not fair to well.

This was my first attempt for whatever it is worth.

Thank you for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I was in the midst of my rotation today when I checked my phone to find my score, I was relieved by the fact that I had passed. But I was very shocked as how my score could be so low and far off from the COMSAE exams I had taken and the 75% timed non tutor comquest average I had gotten. I had also done Uworld as practice too as well as Pathoma. I felt really good coming out of my exam and I felt I had an "easy" test compared to how others had posted, perhaps that is why my test had a higher curve?

At any rate, I was wondering, looking forward, what my realistic outlook would be if I wanted to still pursue emergency medicine? I am still keeping an open mind to all specialties, but I had done a lot of work in the ER and shadowed several physicians before coming into DO school. Subsequently, I thought it was something I may enjoy.

I am a mostly an A/B student at my school with an upward trend ( around 3.4 GPA). I have ER relevant EC's nothing too substantial though. I did not take the USMLE step 1 as I did not feel that I would get the average score on it and was feeling like the COMLEX questions were cake compared to my USMLE world q's. I feel that I may have gotten a <200 score had I taken it. I am flexible in terms of location as I have no family. I just want a spot and don't care where it is.

I also do like OMM and would love an AOA residency, but would be open to an ACGME one too. I know that the generic advice would be to not get too focused on EM and also do great on Step II, but I was wondering how competitive or uncompetitive this score is? I know it is substantially lower than the average. I was just wondering if my tentative goal of going into EM is even a realistic possibility at this stage or if I should just forget it and stick to something with a lower average score.

I didn't just wing this exam and felt it was a well written test for whatever it is worth. I even studied (and enjoyed studying OMM) regularly. I waited until the last possible day to take it in order to maximize my scoring potential. I'm just at a loss as to what happened. But I am also grateful that I passed as I know some classmates who did not fair to well.

This was my first attempt for whatever it is worth.

Thank you for any advice.

You are fine for EM, if you have the nerve, study for usmle and take it and it may open more doors on the MD side.

Agreed, listen to ^^ but take usmle if you do well on an nbme. If you can't, don't sweat it, bit get ready to work your ass off on audition rotations. It may seem like it sucks now, but it'll prevent some headaches down the road.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SDN Mobile

thanks for the advice you guys. I'm not sure I'll get time to study for USMLE but what average do you think would be acceptable for the NBME exam to consider taking the test? Greater than 220?