EMERGENCY--- PLEASE HELP! W vs bad grade.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epsilonprodigy

Physicist Enough
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my second o-chem II test back, and I did HORRIBLE. I did OK on the first: 20/25 with the class average 15/25, and there will be a curve.
This time, I got 8/25!!! The class average was 13/25. So this puts me right about at a C, even with the curve.
We have two more tests: one Monday, 25 pts, and the final 40 pts. According to my calculations, If I got PERFECT SCORES on both (highly unlikely, I study upwards of 6 hrs a day and this is how I am doing) I would have about an 80% which would probably curve to a 90-92%. Risky. Plus I got a B+ in o-chem I after getting a C the first time around.
My other grades are strong: 3.5-3.6 ish total SGPA.
I have two W's from way way back in my "real" undergrad years (about 6-8 yrs ago.) If I withdraw, it will be a third W.
What is the lesser of the two evils... a potentially bad grade, or a W?
PLEASE PLEASE HELP.

Members don't see this ad.

A "W" is a lot better than a "D" or "F"

Shoot for the highest grade. If you can still get a B, then great. A "C" is not the end of the world. A "W" is better than a "D" or an "F", but you should have some reason for withdrawing from the class, especially since you already have 2 W's. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
B+ >> W
B > W
C < W
D << W
F <<< W

If you think you can reasonable get a B or B+ I say stay in. Don't worry about getting an A or A-. That's too much pressure right now. Plus, given that you're not doing well while still studying 6 hrs a day, then I'm not sure getting a W and retaking you'll necessarily fair better. Shoot for the B.

Are you going to office hours? Getting tutoring? Working exercises in the book? Asking the prof for extra exercises? Searching the internet for problems to work on? Using molecular models to understand rxn mechanisms?

Organic chemistry is a subject in which increasing study time doesn't necessarily help. You have to play around with the concepts and visualize what is happening. Good luck! I agree that a W is better than a C, but I think you should talk to your prof before deciding because I don't think that a B is out of the question.

do you have organic chem as a 2nd language? it's a good resource you might think of getting.

Thanks so much guys! As of right now, I am planning on studying as though I'm going to take the third exam but then dropping on Monday (tomorrow) unfortunately this all came about on a Friday evening so there was nothing to be done. Even though it's going to mean that I'll be retaking the class the semester I take the MCAT (not the original plan), the way I see it, I can study for O-II during this semester as well, which will effectively be studying for that portion of the MCAT. Because if I suck that badly, who's to say I'd do well on that part of the MCAT with things as they are now?

I calculated my GPA with and without the possible C or B and ouch.. I don't think I can afford it. As it is, I am in the neighborhood of 3.5 b/c of a couple of C's from way back when that are still haunting me.

But YES, I have O-chem as a second language, and I do all the problems in the book. I also have another supplemental O-chem book. But since that is obviously not working, I would love any extra advice from those who have done well. I haven't sought a tutor because I usually find that I do best if I just sit down and muddle through it myself. I find that I'm always panicking though... anything short of sitting down and mechanically cranking through problems seems like a waste of time, so I get nervous if I find that I'm having to do a lot of page flipping, etc.

Thanks so much guys! As of right now, I am planning on studying as though I'm going to take the third exam but then dropping on Monday (tomorrow) unfortunately this all came about on a Friday evening so there was nothing to be done. Even though it's going to mean that I'll be retaking the class the semester I take the MCAT (not the original plan), the way I see it, I can study for O-II during this semester as well, which will effectively be studying for that portion of the MCAT. Because if I suck that badly, who's to say I'd do well on that part of the MCAT with things as they are now?

I calculated my GPA with and without the possible C or B and ouch.. I don't think I can afford it. As it is, I am in the neighborhood of 3.5 b/c of a couple of C's from way back when that are still haunting me.

But YES, I have O-chem as a second language, and I do all the problems in the book. I also have another supplemental O-chem book. But since that is obviously not working, I would love any extra advice from those who have done well. I haven't sought a tutor because I usually find that I do best if I just sit down and muddle through it myself. I find that I'm always panicking though... anything short of sitting down and mechanically cranking through problems seems like a waste of time, so I get nervous if I find that I'm having to do a lot of page flipping, etc.

Why not take the third test and see how you do before taking the W? By looking at your grades you ae exactly at the average point. Realistically, remember that it is not just how well you do on this test, but alos what the average is. I got the second highest grade in my class and it was only a B cause we had only 13 people left and the highest was an A with no curve. So, as long as you could still hold on and W if you need to after you find out your grade on the last test, then why not take a look?