Emergency Radiology Job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SamuelTesla

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What the pros and cons of a one week on two week off Emergency Radiology job?. Will you be required to do additional plain film shifts on top of this? Is the salary on par with other specialties? I want to get a private practice job and I want to get a low-stress fellowship (not one of these fellowships where you have to do weekly didactics and conferences). Are there fellowships out there geared for more private practice jobs?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The main problem with those jobs is that almost all of them are either night jobs are late evening jobs.

If you are fine with that, then it is a good job. ED is much easier to deal with and generally speaking is less hassle. You don't need to find the referring physician's office at 5 pm because the MRI shows a lacunar infarction or a cancer follow up shows an incidental PE.

Reactions: 1 users
The main problem with those jobs is that almost all of them are either night jobs are late evening jobs.

If you are fine with that, then it is a good job. ED is much easier to deal with and generally speaking is less hassle. You don't need to find the referring physician's office at 5 pm because the MRI shows a lacunar infarction or a cancer follow up shows an incidental PE.

Are there fellowships out there that are geared for private practice? The only fellowships in Emergency Radiology I could find are at big academic centers.

Members don't see this ad :)
If emergency radiology interests you, particularly 1 on 2 off type jobs, which as said previously are almost certainly going to be overnights or late evenings, I would do a neuroradiology fellowship. That will make you the most marketable. And, neuroradiology fellowships are much easier to come by than Emergency Radiology fellowships. I would aim for a reputable high volume program that isn't heavy on research. There are a lot of "academic centers" that fit this bill.

If emergency radiology interests you, particularly 1 on 2 off type jobs, which as said previously are almost certainly going to be overnights or late evenings, I would do a neuroradiology fellowship. That will make you the most marketable. And, neuroradiology fellowships are much easier to come by than Emergency Radiology fellowships. I would aim for a reputable high volume program that isn't heavy on research. There are a lot of "academic centers" that fit this bill.

It did strike me, scrolling through job listings, that a substantial portion of these emergency radiology jobs are looking specifically for neuroradiology training, whereas a smaller number specifically say they are looking for body or emergency radiology fellowship training. It struck me because most of emergency radiology volume is still body. Maybe neurorads are more comfortable with body emergencies than body rads are comfortable with the spectrum of emergency neuroradiology. I have seen many outside hospital emergency neuroradiology studies botched by general rads (non-neuro-fellowship), but maybe that is my sampling bias doing a neuro fellowship year. I'm talking like missing an M1 occlusion, misinterpreting classic active multiple sclerosis as metastases, missing an optic chiasm tumor on MRI that a neurorad had called even on CT.

Last edited:
It did strike me, scrolling through job listings, that a substantial portion of these emergency radiology jobs are looking specifically for neuroradiology training, whereas a smaller number specifically say they are looking for body or emergency radiology fellowship training. It struck me because most of emergency radiology volume is still body. Maybe neurorads are more comfortable with body emergencies than body rads are comfortable with the spectrum of emergency neuroradiology. I have seen many outside hospital emergency neuroradiology studies botched by general rads (non-neuro-fellowship), but maybe that is my sampling bias doing a neuro fellowship year. I'm talking like missing an M1 occlusion, misinterpreting classic active multiple sclerosis as metastases, missing an optic chiasm tumor on MRI that a neurorad had called even on CT.

In the community most of ER is done by everyone. Most radiologists read ER Neuro and for the most part they do fine. Most practices, even big academic centers can not have a 7/24 Neurorad attending. Even in most academic centers the Neuro cases are signed by the neuro attending many hours later when the M1 occlusion doesn't matter.

Also see the bias in your statement. I am not neurorad by training but read a lot of Neuro and I have seen several times that the intracranial mets or even posterior fossa infarction is missed by the Neurorads even the nearby big academic center. But if it is missed by a general rad everyone attributes it ti his lack of training in neuroradiology (confirmation bias).

If a group hires a night radiologist, many times they hire anybody who will do the job well irrelevant of their fellowship. It is not easy to find a good night radiologist. But if they want to choose, they prefer neurorad not because fo the skills. It is mostly because many body radiologists refuse to read high end neuroimaging. Otherwise, if you are willing to read most modalities, you are marketable for any night or evening job.

But if they want to choose, they prefer neurorad not because fo the skills. It is mostly because many body radiologists refuse to read high end neuroimaging. Otherwise, if you are willing to read most modalities, you are marketable for any night or evening job.
Do body rads refuse to read neuro because they don't have the skills or because they find it uninteresting?

Do body rads refuse to read neuro because they don't have the skills or because they find it uninteresting?

There is not such things as uninteresting in private practice. You have to clean the list.

Some of the older general radiologists are not comfortable and fast to read CTA and MRs. Also some recent graduates expect to read only in their area of subspecialty which is stupid IMO.

Otherwise, the most in demand radiologist in a general radiologist who is willing to do different modalities.

Reactions: 1 user