Emergency Residents-away electives??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joaquin13

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious-has anyone done any away electives as an EM resident (PGY 2 or 3)? Im thinking Costa Rica, Hawaii....any thoughts on where to find resources on these? Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Some residency programs have these built in to their programs. Palmetto-Richland in Columbia, SC comes to mind: you can go to Hawaii for a month as a PGY-3!

I also heard that Vanderbilt sends you to Paris for a few months if you are single... :laugh:

We have rotations set up for Hawaii (hyperbaric medicine), a cruise ship elective, and then tons of international electives (around 15 countries).

Roja did an elective at the Ryder Trauma Center in Miami and loved it. I am looking at doing a rotation there.

Members don't see this ad :)
We had a couple people go to Costa. We had a couple others go to India. We had one go to Suadi Arabia for the mass gathering time in Mecca. The way ours works, is you just need to find a preceptor who will "oversee" you, and then you can go anywhere you want. There are some out there that are more organized rotations, but if you want, you can get creative and do almost anything.

you first need to ask what you want (or need) to get out of this rotation. my 2nd year elective was trauma bc i wanted more organized trauma than my residency...but for my 3rd year elective, i wanted to have a break so i went to honolulu, hawaii for a hyperbarics rotation...totally chill...easy...good peoples...just email the surgery program (easy search on FREIDA) and they will send you the application. takes ~3-4 months to set up.

EM Junkie said:
I also heard that Vanderbilt sends you to Paris for a few months if you are single... :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

hyperbarics in hawaii-that sounds awesome. how many days a week did you work? did you just do hyperbarics or did you have to do anything else?
did they have housing?
anyone else have any ideas on resources available that lists away electives-I tried searching EMRA, ACEP but didnt have any luck. My program doesnt really have any info on that.
Thanks!

joaquin13 said:
hyperbarics in hawaii-that sounds awesome. how many days a week did you work? did you just do hyperbarics or did you have to do anything else?
did they have housing?
anyone else have any ideas on resources available that lists away electives-I tried searching EMRA, ACEP but didnt have any luck. My program doesnt really have any info on that.
Thanks!

my program will send you to Hawaii during PGY-3 for one month. You work in a Honolulu hospital working 15-8's. Plenty of time for sun. The shifts in D-town are certainly not as friendly!!

joaquin13 said:
did they have housing?
Thanks!
I didn't do the rotation. Not sure what the work hours are, but I've heard through the grapevine that there is plenty of time for hours upon hours on the beach. One of our attendings has a vacation home on the beach. You stay at his place.

If anyone has any contact info or names of hospitals, let me know. Ive tried searching multiple EM websites-ACEP, SAEM for places to rotate on away electives-international, hawaii-but couldn't find anything.
Thanks!

Indeed I did. our program has people doing electives continually.. people have gone to iran, the philippines, africa, india, dominican, houston, san fran, etc etc.

Basially you have to figure out what you are looking for (international, trauma, cush, etc), what time your dept is giving you, what the rquirements are and then basically start making calls.

Hawaii happens for Henry Ford and Case Western I believe.

At Arizona we can roll out to Australia which if I dont have a baby at that time Im going..

joaquin13 said:
did they have housing?
Thanks!

just hyperbarics, no ER shifts....you're on-call M-F for any dive accidents. that being said, they only get ~50 cases/yr, so you may get called 1-2 times if any. if you're busy surfing or on the other side of the island, then they don't mind you not coming in. it's really laid back. since we had other patients being treated for wound care and radiation complications, then we needed to be there during their treatments from 8:30a-10a. that was the extent of my work with the tank. it's definitely more of a vacation than an elective. i even got certified on scuba got plenty of dives in.

the one drawback is cost. they dont have housing so you're on your own. plus, you'll need a rental car to enjoy your stay. honolulu isn't cheap. i happened to know someone there so it was convenient for me.

but, for info, just email the surgery department at [email protected]

Hey guys do you know of any good placed to go for rotation in costa rica. I would not mind doing that for a month. We have an elective month each year and I was planning to do an international elective in my 3rd year.

southerndoc said:
We have rotations set up for Hawaii (hyperbaric medicine), a cruise ship elective, and then tons of international electives (around 15 countries).

Roja did an elective at the Ryder Trauma Center in Miami and loved it. I am looking at doing a rotation there.

Do you have any more info on either the Hawaii hyperbaric medicine or the cruise ship elective? I do an elective month in November and was trying to arrange something like that.

I think an Infectious Disease/EM type rotation would be cool somewhere, and the Australia (pretty much anything) might be nice. I'll definitely have to look into it !

positiveaob said:
Do you have any more info on either the Hawaii hyperbaric medicine or the cruise ship elective? I do an elective month in November and was trying to arrange something like that.
Cruiseship elective: http://www.vanterventures.com/CME.htm

(Phil Brewer from Yale was the company's medical director. I'm not sure he is the medical director as he left Yale to direct a community ED a few months ago.)

For a different flavor, you could do a month of medical malpractice/risk management. My brother is a defense lawyer, so I "did a month" of med mal defense with him. Lots of time off, but honestly you really get to see a side of the world we aren't used to.... a great learning experience. I am sure you can just call up any med mal defense firm and see if you can shadow for a few weeks. The paperwork is a lot easier to get filled out because you aren't seeing patients, which is the majority of the paperwork (insurance, etc).

Q

heard Beth Israel has an elective in Florence, Italy :eek:

DrQuinn said:
For a different flavor, you could do a month of medical malpractice/risk management. My brother is a defense lawyer, so I "did a month" of med mal defense with him. Lots of time off, but honestly you really get to see a side of the world we aren't used to.... a great learning experience. I am sure you can just call up any med mal defense firm and see if you can shadow for a few weeks. The paperwork is a lot easier to get filled out because you aren't seeing patients, which is the majority of the paperwork (insurance, etc).

Q

That might be nice too, and I have a few friends in the law business :)