Emergency Veterinarian-What's it like?

Started by nelonvet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nelonvet

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering if any current vets here or those who had experience working for an ER/CC clinic...what's it like? Not in terms of the cases, but the actual schedules, rotations, off-time, hours, days off etc...and the more detail about a typical schedule every month the better!

Thanks!
 
Just like any other (day) practice, it's too variable to say. A lot depends on the location and how busy it is, as well as whether it's an after-hours ER or whether it's a 24 hour facility. I've done relief work in several different emergency clinics -- usually there were 12 hour shifts for the primary DVM, but during busy spots they would overlap with a second (or third) doctor working a 6 or 8 hour shift. But other times (and clinics) there would be only 1 doctor on shift at a time, working 12 hour shifts.

I will say that you have to be prepared to work almost exclusively nights and holidays - certainly for the first while you're working there (and maybe always, if the clinics are only open "after hours").
 
I figure they don't actually work 12 hour shift every day...is it something like 4 days on, 4 days off?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I figure they don't actually work 12 hour shift every day...is it something like 4 days on, 4 days off?

They can if they want to. They can work 3 12 hour shifts in a row and then be off. Or they can work a 6 or 8 hour shift over a longer period of time.

* speaking from dealing with an after hours emergency clinic (closed until 6 pm)
 
I figure they don't actually work 12 hour shift every day...is it something like 4 days on, 4 days off?

Depends on the clinic......sometimes it's a 3 x 12h week, with only 36 hours instead of a standard 40 to compensate for overnight hours and a bit of overtime that we all know will be required. Other times it's 2 x 12 and 2 x 8 during a week, if the clinic includes 8 hours shifts. I'm sure there are other configurations as well.
 
My practice spilts the overnight between two vets, so one works Sun/Mon/Tues and one works Wed/Thurs/Fri/Sat. Our shifts are 14 hrs long but we can sleep if things are calm (which never seems to be when you actually need the sleep... 😉 ).
 
How do the ER vets recover? I mean...on the off-days do they take a day to recover from the weird hours and then are ok the next two-three days they're off...or do they keep the same weird schedule on their off days?

Does that take a toll on them or are they ok with it after going through the process for a while?