EMG Certification in Residency or Need a Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

postbacpremed87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My goal is to do private practice neurology and I was wondering about the ability to read EMGs. If I go to a solid residency program, then will I even need a Neurophysiology fellowship? I am already a non-traditional student and would like to practice after 4 years if possible.

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard of neurology residencies in which residents are able to be credentialed to perform EMGs and read EEGs. If you dedicate significant residency elective time toward learning EMG, then you would be sacrificing time in which you could be learning other aspects of outpatient neurology. I feel that a neurophysiology fellowship would be necessary to perform good EMGs. For various reasons, fellowship seems to be the norm in neurology. Please understand what it means to practice general neurology if you are dead set on never doing a fellowship.

Have you considered PM&R? PM&R provides a significant amount of EMG training during residency, much more than neurology. There are also more procedures in PM&R if you're interested in procedures.