Emory and CDC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adesua

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,
To what extent do Emory students in particular the MD/PhDs get to use resources at the CDC?
Are there any restrictions to international students working at the CDC?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

There is a lot of collaboration between faculty at Emory and the CDC, especially the ID immunologists. Because of joint appointments, some MSTP students have done their PhD training at the CDC. Some current students loved working there, but others advise against this if you are basic science. The reasoning is that the mission of the CDC is mostly public health in character, so unless you are doing a public health PhD(which is possible at emory) there may not be appropriate labs to get a project for a thesis. Also an outbreak could cause your mentor to be sent oversea at short notice, which would be somewhat detrimental if you need advice. However, I was lucky enough to interview at the CDC during my MSTP visit, and I was assured that it is possible to do research there if you get in the right lab. Its just a matter of finding a mentor who has a basic lab in addition to public health interests. Emory does a good job a helping you out with this because most of their joint appointments are in these types of setups. Personally, I would do a rotation there myself to decide whether or not I liked it. I don't really know about any restrictions to international students.
-steve