Emory Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone interested in living in the grad Clairmont dorms next year? I'm seriously considering that option.

Members don't see this ad.

kwanny said:
Anyone interested in living in the grad Clairmont dorms next year? I'm seriously considering that option.

yeah, it looked pretty sweet in their brochure and most of the students thought it was cool. it'd also take away some of the hassle of trying to find a place that i'm not great with so i'm definitely living there if i end up coming.

i just got in with the march 7th batch but only in the last few days has it become more clear to me that emory is my best fit so far. still not sure if i'll make the april 14th shindig--what about everyone else?

You guys will love the Clairemont Campus. It is beautiful, new and big w/ just about every amenity you can imagine. The gym is incredible. And you can walk, bike or shuttle to campus.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tigger27 said:
You guys will love the Clairemont Campus. It is beautiful, new and big w/ just about every amenity you can imagine. The gym is incredible. And you can walk, bike or shuttle to campus.

Is it much more expensive than getting an Apt? If it isn't, I don't think I could pass that place up. It's nice to have all that stuff right there waiting for you. And there's a lot of people - lots of social options.

thebiz98 said:
Is it much more expensive than getting an Apt? If it isn't, I don't think I could pass that place up. It's nice to have all that stuff right there waiting for you. And there's a lot of people - lots of social options.

There's debate on the "costs" of living at Clairmont....I live in the undergrad apartments, and though it might have been a little less expensive to live off campus, I would then have had to pay for a campus parking pass ($350+/yr), and I also have little to no patience for driving in Atlanta in the mornings. Clairmont has been great in that the shuttles are pretty efficient, there's a nice gym as well as a pool and tennis courts (and also a park with a pond if you like to jog/walk outside), a walking path if you want to bypass the shuttles and walk to/from main campus (really pleasant), and parking in the residential decks is both free and attached directly to your building (whether you will get to park on your floor is variable :p ). The community office is also very responsive to things like maintenance requests.

The overarching plus of all of this is convenience. The one major caveat is the sort of "big brother" approach of the housing office. The biggest complaint is that every 6 weeks or so, a clairmont staffer comes through the apartments to do a quick assessment of your apartment (to prevent/assess damages). Nothing usually comes of these checks, but a lot of people find them annoying. I can't say I love doing a frantic 2 minute cleanup of my room when I hear that knock on my door....

biggreen05 said:
yeah, it looked pretty sweet in their brochure and most of the students thought it was cool. it'd also take away some of the hassle of trying to find a place that i'm not great with so i'm definitely living there if i end up coming.

i just got in with the march 7th batch but only in the last few days has it become more clear to me that emory is my best fit so far. still not sure if i'll make the april 14th shindig--what about everyone else?

big green... Hanover, NH... Hmmm... sounds too much like my alma mater... lol :laugh:

kwanny said:
big green... Hanover, NH... Hmmm... sounds too much like my alma mater... lol :laugh:

yeah, definitely could have chosen a less hacked name, but i was rushed

Think I made up my mind to live in the Clairmont apt next year. Only $607/mo for a triple... can't pass that up. Think I'm gonna fill out baby out and submit it online soon.

Anyone know when we have to do file all the housing app stuff by? Also, when do we get all the roommate/housing weekend stuff in the mail?

Johnisit, since u live in the clairmont apt, just want to ask a couple of questions. do u live in a single? If not, do u live with other med students? Or just random grad students? thanks, man! :D

Just wondering if anyone has gotten their financial aid package yet. I submitted all of my forms, W2s, etc in late January - well before their Feb 15th deadline - but have yet to hear. I know it's still relatively early, but just wondering if anyone has gotten theirs yet?

Nope. I submitted mine in early January as well, but haven't heard a thing back. If I remember correctly, we get our financial aid letters in early April.

kwanny said:
Nope. I submitted mine in early January as well, but haven't heard a thing back. If I remember correctly, we get our financial aid letters in early April.

I was just wondering what people thought of Emory dropping in the US NEWS rankings. It is now 20. Why do you all think that happened?

TaalMasti said:
I was just wondering what people thought of Emory dropping in the US NEWS rankings. It is now 20. Why do you all think that happened?

looking at the rankings threads where people analyze the rankings over the years, emory has stayed pretty solid. as many people have noted, going a few spots up and down is really no indication of anything more than a change in the way rankings are done each year. honestly, it could have been something as stupid as the hiring of a few new phd's which would initially depress the nih grant/faculty ratio before they got on their feet.

see you all in a couple weeks hopefully. still deciding between a few schools, but i'm really psyched about giving emory a look.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ramblinwreckie, if you're checking this thread, how did the Woodruff interview go? Hope it went well :)

Tigger27 said:
Ramblinwreckie, if you're checking this thread, how did the Woodruff interview go? Hope it went well :)

:)

Thanks, Tigger, it went fantastic! Everyone there was simply amazing to us. I was blown away meeting all the other students and listening to their incredible stories.

I haven't heard anything yet, so I'm having a tough time not fearing the worst. I haven't let my cell phone out of my hand since 8am this morning. :) Ever since I began thinking about medicine, Emory's been my dream school, so I might have too much invested in this.

I'm an alternate... and I'm a bit confused. :confused:

Anyone on this thread know anything? You see, its unranked and they won't tell us how many alternates there are. So, I have no clue where I stand. Anyone know anyone who got in off the alternate list in the past? Anyone have any insight if I am out of 300 or 10... ? Anyone have any tips about what I can do to help my application get to the front of the line?

I would love to join all of you in july!!! And congrats.

Thanks so much... I'm pretty much at the end of my rope and don't want to wait any longer in this horrible limbo known as the alternate list. I am still waiting to hear status from one more school, but know if Emory said yes I would be there in a heart beat.

Thanks guys...

Dorkus72 said:
I'm an alternate... and I'm a bit confused. :confused:

Anyone on this thread know anything? You see, its unranked and they won't tell us how many alternates there are. So, I have no clue where I stand. Anyone know anyone who got in off the alternate list in the past? Anyone have any insight if I am out of 300 or 10... ? Anyone have any tips about what I can do to help my application get to the front of the line?

I would love to join all of you in july!!! And congrats.

Thanks so much... I'm pretty much at the end of my rope and don't want to wait any longer in this horrible limbo known as the alternate list. I am still waiting to hear status from one more school, but know if Emory said yes I would be there in a heart beat.

Thanks guys...

hey, so as far as I've heard, emory doesn't have a ranked waitlist. they just go off your show of interest, file, and whether you specifically fill what was 'lost' by the person who dropped their emory acceptance. don't anticipate any real movement till may at earliest, but be assured that there will be at least some movement.

also, this particular system might work to your advantage if you really are gung ho about emory. send them a letter of intent right away if you haven't already and keep up the updates and interest letters after that.

good luck to you; i think emory can only get better with more people who really appreciate it. keep up the effort and don't let the admissions office forget your name

Anybody know the average debt for med students at emory?

thanks green...

question to all current students/class of 09- someone suggested on another thread that emory accepts about 30% of their students off the waitlist. any opinions/thoughts on this number?

it seems quite high for a school such as emory.

thanks again.

Dorkus72 said:
thanks green...

question to all current students/class of 09- someone suggested on another thread that emory accepts about 30% of their students off the waitlist. any opinions/thoughts on this number?

thanks again.

this is purely speculation, but i think this number is pretty accurate. you have to consider that emory accepts a lot of people that will also be accepted to higher ranked ivy types. a portion of these students will relinquish their spots to attend these higher ranked schools. furthermore, there are plenty of people who will choose their less expensive state school over emory for financial reasons-- emory isn't quite like a harvard or penn where the name alone will trump state school tuition. emory fits many of the characteristics that are indicative of a school whose wait list moves quite a bit: expensive, private, not quite elite enough to lure people away from in state tuition or more prestigious names.

Dorkus72 said:
thanks green...

thanks again.

I think my class is probably around 5-10%.

Anyone going to the revisit on Friday?

Dorkus72 said:
thanks green...

thanks again.

30% seems a bit extreme, but know that even really top tiered schools (except for Stanford) take a lot of students off of their alternate lists -- unlike college, choosing a med school depends on so much more than just 'oh this school has a great name,' so i think alternate lists have movement at all med schools. the question really is how many students a school actually admits in the first round (ie before waitlists are formed) and how many out of these matriculate. some schools admit a TON of students but have low matriculation rates and hence also have a ton of waitlist movement. all i can say about Emory Med is that it's not that extreme.

i agree with biggreen. if you really want to be here, let Emory know that. a show of interest (and updated activities, honors, awards) is all you can do now. they want people that want to be here, and you have to show them that.
best of luck!

Emory also probably has a great deal of cross-over competition. Yeah, there are the top schools in the northeast. And then there is Vanderbilt, which has a lot of the same characteristics of Emory, yet is at least on the surface, more student friendly. I mean, both are in young, fun, southern cities. But Vandy is P/F, while Emory is letter grades. Then the Georgia residents who choose MCG over Emory for $$$ matters (remembering Emory puts a lot of emphasis on Georgia residents).

I would have thought that 5-10% would be a low estimate for Emory, but I could be wrong.

Hey, did anyone else receive their financial award yet? Man... I got no grants or scholarhips at all. None. Zip! All loans, a majority of which is unsubsidized. Man, this sucks.

Jeez, is this normal? I'm gonna be 200 grand in debt by the time I graduate from Emory. That just sounds unusually high.

Did anyone go to the Second Look Weekend at Emory? I wasn't able to go. Did you guys like it? Did Emory still appeal to you? Just wondering what people thought of the students they met, the administration they met, etc.

TaalMasti said:
Did anyone go to the Second Look Weekend at Emory? I wasn't able to go. Did you guys like it? Did Emory still appeal to you? Just wondering what people thought of the students they met, the administration they met, etc.

I'm really interested in some responses to this as well. Personally, I really loved the program and the opportunities of Emory, Grady and Atlanta...but I'm having some reservations re: competition, social environment etc. Please weigh in, 2nd lookers

Oh my!!! Got the fin aid letter. I must say, I knew there are not a lot of scholarships and stuff for med school, but goodness......oh the debt!! Emory is my top choice too. I loved the people. They seem so grounded and not fake like I've gotten at some other schools. And as someone said before, you can't beat the experience at Grady and the school of public health. I'm in a pickle now.......Emory or my state school? :idea:

thebiz98 said:
I'm really interested in some responses to this as well. Personally, I really loved the program and the opportunities of Emory, Grady and Atlanta...but I'm having some reservations re: competition, social environment etc. Please weigh in, 2nd lookers

I went to the 2nd look weekend and really enjoyed it. I was genuinely impressed by how in-tune with the student body the faculty I met were. I also was really impressed with the humility I observed in many of the physicians. That is ironic, because originally Emory was low on my list because I had somehow made the drs there out to be a bunch of arrogant snots...but every experience I have had in person there has left me with just the opposite impression. The students seemed great too. There was a really neat talent/variety show we went to put on by current students and faculty and I got the impression that although students worked hard, they made plenty of time to play! In terms of grading, the students I met actually seemed really supportive of each other - they talked about study groups at local coffee houses, etc. The grading is letter grades, but it is also "what you make is what you get" - so you don't have to worry about doing better than others in order to get good grades. I'm still not 100% sold on the traditional curriculum, but overall I think I would really enjoy Emory.

To the poster who wondered about financial aid: You may want to go to a bookstore and browse through the scholarship reference books. That's what I'm planning on doing - to find private grants/scholarships to apply for. Emory did give me a scholarship (need-based), but even that still left a lot more in loans than I'd like to have. The only scholarship I know of off the top of my head is the Ty Cobb, if you are a Georgia resident.

I'm probably gonna go to Emory but I'm trying to learn more about the curriculum and the daily schedule.

What do you mean by traditional curriculum? I'd appreciate any input.

Also, i read about the anatomy program. Do students like this? If any Emory student wants to email me and answer some more questions, I would really appreciate it. I have questions about rotations, too.

Thanks.

fishdoggg said:
I'm probably gonna go to Emory but I'm trying to learn more about the curriculum and the daily schedule.

What do you mean by traditional curriculum? I'd appreciate any input.

Also, i read about the anatomy program. Do students like this? If any Emory student wants to email me and answer some more questions, I would really appreciate it. I have questions about rotations, too.

Thanks.

Sorry - I don't know if "traditional curriculum" was the best phrase for me to use. What I was referring to is the primarily lecture based style of teaching at Emory, whereas some schools are PBL or primarily based on small groups - I think I'd do better in smaller more personalized settings like that as opposed to a huge classroom. Also, some schools have you begin clinical experience 1st year (limited, of course, within reason given your abilities and lack thereof!) and work on standardized patients - Emory, however, seems to be fairly traditional in the approach of basic sciences first 2 years, clinical second two years. This is just my impression as a visitor - I won't start M1 until July. Current Emory students could probably answer this better. Emory also seems to be the one school I visited where none of the students seemed enthusiastic about curriculum or teachers. A few had negative comments (which I take w/ a grain of salt cuz I know you'll get that everywhere) - but most seemed just plain neutral about it with a very "blah" feeling if you will. Again, just my observation, and I would love to be proved wrong. And all that said, I am 99% sure Emory is where I'll end up and am very excited!

Tigger27 said:
Emory also seems to be the one school I visited where none of the students seemed enthusiastic about curriculum or teachers. A few had negative comments (which I take w/ a grain of salt cuz I know you'll get that everywhere) - but most seemed just plain neutral about it with a very "blah" feeling if you will. Again, just my observation, and I would love to be proved wrong. And all that said, I am 99% sure Emory is where I'll end up and am very excited!

Well, I'm also an entering MS1 student so hi classmate! I didn't attend the overall second look weekend, but a revisit program for underrepresented students was held earlier. Speaking for myself, I really got to know some of the professors and they made me excited about coming. One guy in genetics really got me going (and I really don't like genetics!) So after meeting them myself, I then talked to the students. I think really it depends on how much you want to get excited. Some were totally siked about their professors while others were not so much so. As you said, take it with a grain of salt. I don't know if you met Dr. Ely, but he is SOOOO cool! I'm so excited about going to Emory! :D

Emory does have a traditional curriculum in that most of our teaching is through lectures. We have aboubt 3 hours of lecture per day. But we also have PBL once a week, small group for physio, genetics, and patient-doctor, and have anatomy, cell bio, neuro labs. So you will get to spend lots of time in smaller settings! Also I like to study with a study group and that helps me a lot. Some people like to study on their own and some like to study with others. If you are independent learner, you don't have to go to class and can learn on your own through transcripts and books. Basically Emory will provide you with all the resources you need to learn (profs, books, labs, small group, etc) and it is up to you to decide how you like to learn the material. I think this is the general idea for every med school. Also we do get clinical experience in the first year. We spend one week in the wards in the beginning of the semester. We also learn how to interview patients. There is also lots of clincial experience through the volunteer organizations here at Emory. I am interested in surgery so I go to the hospital OR and the surgeons are nice enough to let me scrub in and actually help in surgery! The second year get lots of clinical experience b/c you have clinical methods where you learn how to take a full history and to do complete phyiscal exam on patients. So if you want clinical experiences there are many ways you can get that here at Emory. Hope this helps!

taehong81 said:
Emory does have a traditional curriculum in that most of our teaching is through lectures. We have aboubt 3 hours of lecture per day. But we also have PBL once a week, small group for physio, genetics, and patient-doctor, and have anatomy, cell bio, neuro labs. So you will get to spend lots of time in smaller settings! Also I like to study with a study group and that helps me a lot. Some people like to study on their own and some like to study with others. If you are independent learner, you don't have to go to class and can learn on your own through transcripts and books. Basically Emory will provide you with all the resources you need to learn (profs, books, labs, small group, etc) and it is up to you to decide how you like to learn the material. I think this is the general idea for every med school. Also we do get clinical experience in the first year. We spend one week in the wards in the beginning of the semester. We also learn how to interview patients. There is also lots of clincial experience through the volunteer organizations here at Emory. I am interested in surgery so I go to the hospital OR and the surgeons are nice enough to let me scrub in and actually help in surgery! The second year get lots of clinical experience b/c you have clinical methods where you learn how to take a full history and to do complete phyiscal exam on patients. So if you want clinical experiences there are many ways you can get that here at Emory. Hope this helps!

WOW!!! Didn't know all of that. Makes me want to got to Emory even more!

muchlove said:
WOW!!! Didn't know all of that. Makes me want to got to Emory even more!

Getting even more excited for July 20!! Thanks everyone for the input and enthusiasm! Enjoy your last few months of freedom! :)