EMORY Forensics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GATORANALYST

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to get some feedback on Emory's forensic fellowship. I have heard mixed reviews. I assumed that since Emory is considered a top program in general adult psych that its forensic program was also at the same level. Can anyone give any information on this program and its level of competitivness.

Does it matter where you go as far as forensics is concerned? I've heard that UMass, Case, and the NYC programs are the power houses but would it matter if you went to a "not so competitive" program in regards to job opportunity?

Any feedback is much appreciated!

Regards,
GA

Members don't see this ad.

I couldn't tell you. A good (or bad) psychiatry program doesn't necessarily relate to it's forensic program. Most of it depends on the program director. Several months ago, someone on the forum (and it's not my intention to bash that person) criticized Wright State's general psychiatry program as poor to mediocre. I don't know if that program is bad (I do know some of the attendings there and they are quite good), but two excellent forensic attendings ran the fellowship there. The fellowship no longer exists, but it did just a few years ago, and of the two attendings I speak of, one was until 3 years ago, and the other just left. The first is one of the most respected forensic psychiatrists in the country. The other one is quite impressive.

I've written on what makes a good program IMHO several times on this forum. Look it up on a search.

From trusted peer(s), Emory is a good forensics program. Faculty there recently wrote the book on C&A Forensics. It is a little heavy on productivity per my peer, but overall he/she is/was happy training there.

I have spoken with the director before who is quite knowledgable and appeared to have a no-nonsense/to-the-point personality that I particularly appreciate when trying to learn.