Psychiatrists boarded in C&A and forensics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Transistor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen a surprising number of psychiatrists who were boarded in both child and forensics, and I was wondering if there is a specific use case for this. Does it just diversity the scope of work opportunities, or is there a significant financial incentive in play?

Members don't see this ad.

I would highly recommend it for child custody evaluations, these are very complex and extraordinarily litigious. There are some forensic fellowships that will let you focus on child/adolescent work for a significant part of the year. I could see some value if you wanted to make a career of working with juvenile's in custody or testify regularly for juvenile mental health cases. Overall the work I think is pretty niche outside of the child custody evals.

It does seem to lead to some level of notoriety/fame/power to do work in this space but I think that's also because the subset of people wanting to do CAP are far less are interested in forensics than adult psychiatrists (we tend to be a cuddlier bunch). At AACAP the forensic folk seem to be more monolithic than the other sub-domains of child psych.

Reactions: 1 users
The number of child forensic psychiatrists is a very small club but there is a lot of interesting child forensic work out there. On the juvenile court side there are competency evals, sentencing mitigation, juvenile sex offender evaluations, and juvenile waiver to adult court evaluations. More rarely there are NGRI evals for adolescents. Autism as a mitigating factor in criminal settings is very popular with defense attorneys. On the civil side, there are evaluations related to personal injury (e.g. child TBI, death of parent, emotional distress, child sexual abuse cases). Medical/psychiatric malpractice is another are. There are also as mentioned above evaluations related to child custody, parenting capacity (which adult psychiatrists can also do), and termination of parental rights. I am not CAP trained but frequently get asked to do CAP forensic evals which I decline though I have served as a consultant in cases involving children such is the shortage of child forensic folks.

If you do not want to do the kind of work mentioned above, or don't want to work in juvenile justice or other forensic settings, I'm not sure there is much mileage to do a forensic fellowship as a CAP. However, forensic psychiatrists seem more likely to end up in leadership and administrative positions, and be involved in organized medicine for whatever reason. A lot of forensic psychiatrists are also involved in medical education or take governmental leadership positions with the state. You may also be more likely to participate in ethics committees or ethics consultation or doing risk management work in hospitals or other large organizations.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with the above, but I also suspect this is a person that for whatever wants to go a bit too far with getting board certifications.
I've noticed this. I've never seen anyone triple or more boarded be good in all areas. There's just too much to know. I have seen, however, that such people might (remember the word might) be great at the zones where these areas mesh together such as a child-custody evaluation.

I've seen people single and double boarded be great in two fields. In fact I've seen a lot of great double-boarded people cause these people personality-wise might have a great intellectual curiosity they needed filled, but like I said I've never seen a triple boarded person be great in all 3 fields.

I've seen people single and double boarded be great in two fields. In fact I've seen a lot of great double-boarded people cause these people personality-wise might have a great intellectual curiosity they needed filled, but like I said I've never seen a triple boarded person be great in all 3 fields.
I think it depends on the field. I have more than 3 certifications and I think I'm pretty good in all these fields, and my clinical and forensic work, teaching, publications and presentations reflect these different areas. I think when the fields are not very related is where you run into problems. I've been thinking of doing an additional board certification and that one would be less related to others and so I probably would be less good there compared to the ones I'm currently certified in. Yes, even though I think it's all a scam, I'm addicted to collecting these board certifications lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with the above, but I also suspect this is a person that for whatever wants to go a bit too far with getting board certifications.
I've noticed this. I've never seen anyone triple or more boarded be good in all areas. There's just too much to know. I have seen, however, that such people might (remember the word might) be great at the zones where these areas mesh together such as a child-custody evaluation.

I think you are right about the issues in people who try and do too many fields, and, that's an issue that only gets worse and worse as medicine gets more complex. There's so much more to know just to get competent at current best practices than there was in the past.

Although, I do think child and forensics, given the atypical nature of the work and the limited amount of child training in many general residencies, is one of the few subspecialty combos that make sense. But I also imagine many of them let their adult psych knowledge fade away.

Thanks for the responses! Wasn’t planning on doing both fellowships (one is very enough for me) but many of my preceptors in medical school as well as alumni of my residency program - maybe by chance? - had this combo which I was curious about.