Emory MSTP vs. Einstein MSTP vs. Wisconsin MSTP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aquamonkey

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been fortunate enough to be accepted to some fine MSTPs so far. anyone have thoughts about choosing one over the others?

People are telling me to pick Emory because its ranked the highest (20 vs. 38 vs. 27) and its honestly the best match for my research interests (BME).

However my gut tells me to pick Einstein because I like New York much much more than Atlanta or Madison. Being from New York, I hate driving everywhere (Atlanta + Madison, although driving in the Bronx is pretty much necessary) and I hate small towns (Madison). I also can't imagine not having access to things like concerts, world cuisines, clubs, shopping etc. that New York has to offer. Also, every year a good 70% of the MSTP class matches into New York Presbyterian so I would have a good chance of staying in New York after graduation.

So, would I be making a strategically poor decision to go to Einstein (which is one of the worst-ranked MSTPs) over Emory?

Members don't see this ad.

I would suggest going to the revisits of at least Einstein and Emory. Meet your potential MSTP classmates, learn more about the program and what people do for fun. If you go to Emory or Madison, this should not hinder you in obtaining residency in NYC (because you are from NY, the program directors know that you are serious about returning). If you feel that you would be the happiest and most productive at Einstein, then you will do great there and that makes it a great choice, too.

Are there ppl at Einstein who work in your BME niche? If so, I think you should go to Einstein. You are taking a chance if there are only 5 ppl doing your thing at Einstein vs 50 ppl at Emory, but you only rotate about 2-3x and just need one solid mentor

Members don't see this ad :)
It is common knowledge that if you're not a Harvard MD/PhD graduate then you cannot place into derm/rads/etc. and you are a failure at life. In academia there are two settings: (1) Harvard, (2) everything else.

Remember, second best is just the first to lose.

/sarcasm

Seriously man, just choose where you will be happy for the next ~8 years of your life and has a good environment for your research interests. No school will have 100% of what you're looking for so you will have to compromise and make the most of it.