Emory or South Carolina

Started by mjm_13
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mjm_13

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was accepted to Emory back in January and that is where I have planned on going the last few months. However this morning I was accepted to the University of South Carolina. Emory is such a prestigious school but the cost still scares me. I'm not a resident of South Carolina, but I'm still thinking it would be a cheaper route than Emory. But would it be dumb of me to give up a spot at such a prestigious school? Can someone help me figuring out pros and cons of each school? Stress level to the max right now haha
 
Honestly, I think going for the cheaper program will make you happier in the long run. If you hate South Carolina, then don't go. Otherwise I don't think it will matter in twenty years where you got your DPT from. From what I know South Carolina has a pretty good program, with lots of clinical experience and some research experience and a smaller cohort than Emory. That could mean more one on one time with professors too. Prestige isn't everything and you have to do what is right for you. Look at what is important to you and go from there!
 
I'm starting at South Carolina this fall. I think there's only 1 spot left in the class of 26 that they're bouncing around on. I'm not a resident of SC either, but from what I heard, in SC you can get in-state tuition after a year if you follow the guidelines and establish residency. But I'm not 100% on that yet; I haven't had a chance to actually talk to someone who has done it. Also keep in mind USC is a 3 1/3 year program so that adds some expense.

I definitely wouldn't worry about prestige.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
At least from my experience, the only people who care about a school's prestige are the people of said school telling you how great they are. Prestige won't pay back the extra loans
 
I turned down a spot at Emory for a smaller instate school and feel it is the right decision as I'm saving over $100,000 in the process. Going to Emory for the tour was fun, we got a free lunch, and got to spend a few nights in Atlanta but think of all the awesome things you can do with even $50,000 or $1,000 for that matter. My understanding is that most employers don't care where you went.
 
I'm starting at South Carolina this fall. I think there's only 1 spot left in the class of 26 that they're bouncing around on. I'm not a resident of SC either, but from what I heard, in SC you can get in-state tuition after a year if you follow the guidelines and establish residency. But I'm not 100% on that yet; I haven't had a chance to actually talk to someone who has done it. Also keep in mind USC is a 3 1/3 year program so that adds some expense.

I definitely wouldn't worry about prestige.
I'm starting at South Carolina this fall. I think there's only 1 spot left in the class of 26 that they're bouncing around on. I'm not a resident of SC either, but from what I heard, in SC you can get in-state tuition after a year if you follow the guidelines and establish residency. But I'm not 100% on that yet; I haven't had a chance to actually talk to someone who has done it. Also keep in mind USC is a 3 1/3 year program so that adds some expense.

I definitely wouldn't worry about prestige.
Yes, I have considered the fact that the program is a little longer than most. I think I have decided I will go visit tomorrow to get a feel for Columbia and the campus. Hopefully that will help me come to a conclusion. Thank you for your reply!!
 
I turned down a spot at Emory for a smaller instate school and feel it is the right decision as I'm saving over $100,000 in the process. Going to Emory for the tour was fun, we got a free lunch, and got to spend a few nights in Atlanta but think of all the awesome things you can do with even $50,000 or $1,000 for that matter. My understanding is that most employers don't care where you went.
Yes the cost is a huge factor. The price tag at Emory definitely scares me. I just really need to make sure I'm saving enough money to change my mind. I've almost got everything squared away at Emory at this point. Thank you for your reply!!
 
Yes the cost is a huge factor. The price tag at Emory definitely scares me. I just really need to make sure I'm saving enough money to change my mind. I've almost got everything squared away at Emory at this point. Thank you for your reply!!
Have you decided which school are you planning to attend?