Emory or UVA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CookieMonstr

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
SO if you had the choice between Emory or UVA which would you pick and why? :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you a virginia resident?

Emory University bar none. You'll love Atlanta and the university itself. You've got the Carter Center there, the CDC, over 5 billion dollars in funding (partially due to the cola shares it has), and Emory is gaining reputation as a top end university every year.

CheckMate said:
Hands down I would choose UVA. How could one not just fall in love after visiting?? The facilities were one of the best I've seen during my interviews, the students were down to earth, the campus was beautiful. The clinical training students get there is superb, which shows in their match lists. I withdrew from quite a few schools on my list after the UVA acceptance, including turning down a Cornell interview. Plus, a Virginia decal would look good on my navy Audi...but that's just me!! :)
Sounds like Emory to me.

Look, the parties dont stop until 8 in the morning in Atlanta. I dont think the party ever starts in Charlottesville. Hope this helps ;)

CheckMate said:
Ha...charming... :)
Plus, I drink Pepsi...don't people get hung for ordering Pepsi in Atlanta?

Hmmm....perhaps not so much in Atlanta in general (unless you happen to be near the Coke museum) as in front of Emory administrators. We don't have a facebook group called "Coca Cola owns my education" for nothin' ;)

As for the Emory vs. UVA question above--I've heard great things about UVA, but I know I need an urban environment to be happy, which is why I didn't apply to UVA.

My vote goes to Emory cause that's where I'm going next year. Atlanta is a cool town.

Emory - They have excellent merit scholarships that leave the mouth watering.

RunMimi said:
Hmmm... I have the same choice also, so I've been doing some thinking lately. I am a VA resident. The thing that bothers me about UVA is that they have 4-6 monthes of required away rotations in the third year. While Atlanta is a great city, I was surprised at Emory's somewhat suburban location. Anyways they are both great choices and I'm not sure yet. Oh and UVA has merit scholarships too--they just don't advertise them very well (why not is beyond my understanding...)

Hey, RunMimi, if you live in NOVA, you can do 3-4 months of rotation in northern virginia. A lot of people do rotation near home. Just to let you know. :) I thought that both were great choices as well when I interviewed there. The location and financial aid were the difference.