Emory Research Essay Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jc235693

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the Emory application has this question

Narrative Summary: Describe all of your research projects in detail, WITH EMPHASIS ON YOUR MOST SIGNIFICANT EXPERIENCES. Include goals and background, brief methodology, results and indicate where, when, and with whom the project was conducted. Reprints or preprints may be used as a substitute to describe your role in any multi-author projects. Please submit an essay to COMPLEMENT AND EXPAND UPON the "Research Experience" essay requested on the AMCAS application.

They then provide a tiny box in which to put your answer. They say you can use a prescript as a substitute and I have one that I am the first author on but it is about 10 pages long, do they really want me to copy and paste that into the box? Also would you send something that long as part of the answer to this question? I tried emailing the admissions office but they didn't get back to me. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I used to have insider info on Emory, but it's been awhile, so grain of salt, etc...

The way they print out your application, some interviewers and adcom members will not look at your AMCAS essay and only your secondary. This is your chance to impress them with your research, with emphasis on you. They want to know you actually did something meaningful as opposed to a postdoc just telling what to do every step of the way. I thought about copying and pasting, but I ended up just writing something new to fit it in better. It's a pain in the rear, but what secondary isn't. :rolleyes:

-X

Thanks, so should I put in the entire prescript?

Members don't see this ad :)
Beats me. I would lean towards no since it's likely to have a lot of stuff not pertinent to the goal of assessing your suitability for MSTP, but it's hard to say without knowing where the devil lives. You know, the details? :)

-X

Thanks, so should I put in the entire prescript?

Ha thanks, well I put it in at the end of the essay so if they want they don't have to read it. That was definitely one of the more annoying secondary apps.