Emory v. UGA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mallo3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I live in Georgia and have always gotten the impression that Emory is the smarty-pants school and that UGA is the party school. I am wondering how much of a benefit it would be to go to Emory rather than UGA. At first, I thought that there was no competition, but every doctor, dentist, and vet I have met has gone to UGA. Some docs tell me that it's just where I live- but I am closer to Emory. I am only concerned with tuition cost and getting into med school. Everyone in GA loves UGA and people are loyal to the school, while Emory is percieved to have a snotty attitude. Honestly how much of an advantage would going to Emory give me? Does Emory give preference to it's undergrad students when they apply to Emory med or make their standards more difficult on them? I know that UGA does that with their law schools and am just wondering if med school works the same. If I go to UGA I can live comfortably, if I go to Emory I will starve and have to take out loans- I am willing to do whatever it takes to get me into med school though even if I am miserable.

Members don't see this ad.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I live in Georgia and have always gotten the impression that Emory is the smarty-pants school and that UGA is the party school. I am wondering how much of a benefit it would be to go to Emory rather than UGA. At first, I thought that there was no competition, but every doctor, dentist, and vet I have met has gone to UGA. Some docs tell me that it's just where I live- but I am closer to Emory. I am only concerned with tuition cost and getting into med school. Everyone in GA loves UGA and people are loyal to the school, while Emory is percieved to have a snotty attitude. Honestly how much of an advantage would going to Emory give me? Does Emory give preference to it's undergrad students when they apply to Emory med or make their standards more difficult on them? I know that UGA does that with their law schools and am just wondering if med school works the same. If I go to UGA I can live comfortably, if I go to Emory I will starve and have to take out loans- I am willing to do whatever it takes to get me into med school though even if I am miserable.

i go to emory and it sucks. go to uga

I went to UGA and here's what it comes down to. UGA costs a lot less and with hope, you probably will have very little debt coming out if any. Emory is a private school with a hefty tuition. UGA is a party school for some, a good school for others. We have an established honors program and tons of research,so if you go their to study and get a good premed background, it can and HAS been done. Look at GA med schools (not sure about emory) but mercer/mcg/morehouse, they know UGA , they know their faculty and with MCG 1/3 of their class comes from UGA. If you'll do whatever it takes to get into med school it shouldn't matter where you go. I do understand that some of Emory's "snotty" attitude comes from the chunk of their class that comes from up North, IVY/Northern rejects who come south to Emory and bring that attitude with them. So bear that in mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to UGA and here's what it comes down to. UGA costs a lot less and with hope, you probably will have very little debt coming out if any. Emory is a private school with a hefty tuition. UGA is a party school for some, a good school for others. We have an established honors program and tons of research,so if you go their to study and get a good premed background, it can and HAS been done. Look at GA med schools (not sure about emory) but mercer/mcg/morehouse, they know UGA , they know their faculty and with MCG 1/3 of their class comes from UGA. If you'll do whatever it takes to get into med school it shouldn't matter where you go. I do understand that some of Emory's "snotty" attitude comes from the chunk of their class that comes from up North, IVY/Northern rejects who come south to Emory and bring that attitude with them. So bear that in mind.

Definately go to UGA. You will get an unbelievable college experience. MCG and Mercer have excellent working relationships with Dr. Langford and pre-med faculty in Athens, and like a previous poster said- they know UGA and immensely respect the academics.
To me, it is (and was a long time ago when I was applying to college) a no-brainer. Free tuition at a top 20 public school in one of the country's best college towns cant be beat. I say MCG and Mercer look at a 3.5-4.0 GPA from the UGA the same as they view it from Emory. Go to UGA, study hard, have a great time, and dont come back to SDN for 3 more years.

Go Dawgs.

What about it sucks and why is UGA a better choice? What made you choose Emory in the first place?-and... - say that you had the exact same stats as another student - who is getting accepted, and to what schools, MCG? Emory? Mercer? who favors who?...oh and dr 90210 is the s**t.

Go to UGA. It usually doesnt matter where you go to undergrad as long as you do well...This is especially true at MCG, Mercer, and Morehouse.
UGA is a great school. Enjoy college and life, save some money, do well in your classes, and dont waste your time on SDN for another few years.

I go to Emory and love it...not having sports sucks and obviously doesnt have the sec atmosphere but people here go out more than a lot of people i know at state schools.... the quality of professors and the abundance of research ops here, not to mention having the cdc and emory hospital 20 feet from you makes this an easy choice if you can afford it...our career center has been amazing and accessible in helping me through the med process as well.

I go to Emory and love it...not having sports sucks and obviously doesnt have the sec atmosphere but people here go out more than a lot of people i know at state schools.... the quality of professors and the abundance of research ops here, not to mention having the cdc and emory hospital 20 feet from you makes this an easy choice if you can afford it...our career center has been amazing and accessible in helping me through the med process as well.

Not more than UGA!

hah well probably not more than UGA..oh but don't go here if you're looking for southern belles and also a lot of people here didn't get into yale or princeton and will be bitter about that their first year.

Emory does have great research opportunities. However, UGA students intern/work at the CDC over the summers, etc. Athens also has the SE poultry lab, which sounds weak- but actually is extremely involved in national avian influenza pandemic preparations.
I think most would agree that all else being equal, someone with volunteering experience at Emory hospital, lab experience at Emory, and summer internships at the CDC is looked at about the same as someone with volunteering experience at Athens Regional, lab experience at UGA, and summer internships at any one of the prestigious Atlanta/Athens area facilities.
Of course, the latter is about 200,000 less in debt after 4 years, and is in the 99th percentile in college football knowledge!

I don't think the OP meant to make this into a who has more fun thing, which wouldn't make sense b/ that kind of stuff is up to the individual. Honestly, I wouldn't pick an undergrad based on how it would look to med schools, since there are NO guarantees in this process. I think the best thing to do is go where you feel better.

If money is an issue, then go to UGA, but realize that Emory has changed the fin aid policy and is giving ALOT more grants/less loans.

As you can tell from the posts, diff people value diff things. If you love football, dont go to Emory (DUH) it just really depends what atmosphere suits you best.

Wherever you go, make sure you make yourself stand out- this is what counts

I go to Emory, and I abs LOVE it, but its prob not for everyone, just as UGA or whatever other school wont suit everyone.
See if you can visit the schools and stay overnight to get a better vibe of the places

Good Luck!

I would like to point out that going to a party school does not interfere with your education.... It just means that there are more weekend options......

Members don't see this ad :)
emory was the no 7 party school in the country a little while back..

I don't think the OP meant to make this into a who has more fun thing, which wouldn't make sense b/ that kind of stuff is up to the individual. Honestly, I wouldn't pick an undergrad based on how it would look to med schools, since there are NO guarantees in this process. I think the best thing to do is go where you feel better.

If money is an issue, then go to UGA, but realize that Emory has changed the fin aid policy and is giving ALOT more grants/less loans.

youre right, it really isn't about which is more fun- that anwser is obvious. Money really isn't that big of an issue either...if I feel like it's worth it. Yes- UGA would be free for me, and yes it would suck to pay the loans from Emory back, but if that makes a difference in getting into medical school then it doesn't matter. I know that UGA is a good fit for me (I am in athens every weekend) but have yet to visit Emory (which I already feel like I don't fit in at) and I can't help but be concerned with ANYTHING EXCEPT the end result: getting into medical school. So all I am really asking about is which school would you rather have on your application to med school? ...Does the emory advantage apply to students using independent status to file for financial aid? I looked on their website and only saw where it addressed dependent students and their families, which wouldnt apply to me.

i go to uga and it sucks. go to emory

-------------------

All joking aside, UGA does have the stigma of being a "party school" but you don't have to be involved in that culture. It's just there sitting for you conveniently if you like that stuff. There are plenty of "smarties" on campus, and academics are taken pretty seriously here. I think Michael Adams is trying to remove the party school reputation and is working on increasing the academic prestige at UGA.

UGA premed program is well run. I don't think attending UGA affected me negatively in terms of my med school application process. I applied to 14 top schools and got interviews at 11 of them (including Harvard, Hopkins, UCSF, Stanford, Yale, Columbia, Emory, etc.). UGA can take you far.

If money is a factor, then UGA would be better. If you like UGA, go to UGA. But if you like the Emory atmosphere, student body, etc. and wouldn't mind paying, then go to Emory and don't look back. It's more of a gut feeling...but both schools will get you to the same place (medical school).

i go to uga and it sucks. go to emory

is there any specific reason for that? I think youre the first person to tell me that they don't like UGA -seriously-

emory isn't worth it unless you are korean or jewish

is there any specific reason for that? I think youre the first person to tell me that they don't like UGA -seriously-

for some reason I didn't see the rest of your post until after I had posted, sorry and thanks for real

No, I was joking.....for the most part. Sometimes I do wonder what it would've been like to attend a more prestigious school with harder classes.

If cost isn't a concern go to Emory, otherwise go to UGA. Simple.

The premed and life science classes at UGA have been fairly easy, but I don't think that has had any negative effect on my MCAT prep at all. In fact, the classes more than adequately prepared me for the MCAT. So that means a 3.9 would be easier to get (compared to Emory) and if you ball on the MCAT, you're set. However, if you don't excel at UGA, you're worse off than an applicant with the same GPA and MCAT from a more prestigious school. So going to UGA is riskier, which is something to consider.

The premed and life science classes at UGA have been fairly easy, but I don't think that has had any negative effect on my MCAT prep at all. In fact, the classes more than adequately prepared me for the MCAT. So that means a 3.9 would be easier to get (compared to Emory) and if you ball on the MCAT, you're set. However, if you don't excel at UGA, you're worse off than an applicant with the same GPA and MCAT from a more prestigious school. So going to UGA is riskier, which is something to consider.

This may be a little true, but, in my opinion, the school would have to be more prestigious than Emory- an Ivy, perhaps.

I think everyone has answered your question in different ways. One school does not offer a very significant advantage over the other in terms of getting someone into med school.
For the record, I went to a top 25 school in the north for graduate school. I found that my UGA degree was very well respected by my classmates and professors. That respect is only growing as more alumni excel in their fields throughout the country.

wow...Emory-UGA're...~~somewhat like Dook-UNC(?) :confused: I guess...

Go to the place that'll be the 'best-value' to you. From what I've heard the name/reputation of your undergrad only helps you very little; it's who you are, and what you do that counts. Go to the place where you'll be the most successfull, and able to reach your max. potential. If you believe that spending an extra 10-20,000$ is worth getting a ~+0.001 - 0.01 (rough estimate... I do not meant to stir controversy here) advantage in the app. process, by all means do it.

emory isn't worth it unless you are korean or jewish

I am not jewish Or korean, and I know every cent i spent was worth it. What was the point of that? How does being jewish or korean make it more valuable??

because emory is full of jews (esp from long island and new jersey) and koreans (fob), both groups being unpleasant to be around unless you are one of them

youre a douchebag

because emory is full of jews (esp from long island and new jersey) and koreans (fob), both groups being unpleasant to be around unless you are one of them

got bigotry? :mad:

I was in your shoes a few years ago. I got accepted to both Emory and UGA and had to decide which one I wanted to attend. My final decision was to go to undergrad at UGA because it is basically free and then go to Emory (or another private school similar to Emory) for med school if I wanted to. So far everything has worked out to plan, as I interviewed at Emory a few weeks ago and should hopefully get accepted. I haven't regretted my decision at all, and wouldn't trade my time at UGA for anything.

Dr. 90210 Im sorry that you feel inadequate, but that your personal choice. and way to stereotype people- again, a personal choice. Where do you plan to live, work.. in a place where everyone is just like you??

what he said
interracial mingling is minimal @ emory