Emory vs Einstein

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

srm12345

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I’ve been incredibly fortunate to receive multiple MD acceptances, and am now trying to decide where I want to go. Here are my pros and cons for each schools. Basically, with step one now being P/F I’m wondering if school “prestige” is going to matter more. Additionally, I’m curious what people think about applying to residency coming from NYU LISOM (3 year primary care focused curriculum).

EMORY PROS:

• Highest “ranked” program and will prob only improve after all their work done with covid
  • Great curriculum that includes dedicated time to do research
  • ATL is a great area
  • I went to undergrad here, so I already know people and have connections for research etc
EMORY CONS:

• Far from home (I’m from NY)
  • I went to undergrad here so I already know a lot about ATL and wouldn’t be getting a totally new experience (not that that’s super important to me)
  • Expensive!
EINSTEIN PROS:

• Received 25k per year scholarship
  • Matches very well in NY (I’m from NY and am hoping to stay there)
  • Will give me an opportunity to make connections in NY
  • Closer to friends and family in NY
  • Great student housing
EINSTEIN CONS:

• A “less prestigious” institution compared to emory, but still very good and again not sure how much that matters considering how well they match in NY (tho with step 1 being P/F now, not sure if program prestige will matter more now)
  • In the Bronx (not the best / most fun area)
  • No dedicated research time built into the curriculum

Members don't see this ad.

Both are great, Einstein is the better option for you for multiple reasons.

Also, didn't we just have this thread?

Reactions: 1 user
To add: Einstein's new 2025 curriculum will have time built in for research/service

Reactions: 1 users
Chiming in to echo others sentiments about Einstein being the clear winner. Both are excellent schools with strong reputations in academic medicine, and match outcomes are also similar (regional bias for Einstein in NE, Emory in the SE and between coasts; great overall in either).

The scholarship, and your desire to match in NY (especially if you are interested in the most desired programs there) make Einstein an easy choice.

Reactions: 1 user