Emory vs. MCG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am super grateful to have been accepted to both Emory and MCG, and I was wondering if anyone has any advice for deciding between these two schools. I am an Emory undergrad from Georgia, but I don't know too much about either MD program. I have really enjoyed my time as an Emory college student so I am leaning towards Emory, but the tuition is significantly more expensive.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on the acceptances! I’m a GA resident, but I ended up withdrawing from MCG pre-II and I admittedly don’t have a lot of familiarity with that school. Although they’re both in GA, they’re two very different schools. I think the big thing to consider here is your future career goals. If you’re leaning towards a career in academic medicine or are interested in hyper competitive specialities(surgical subspecialties, derm, etc), I think Emory is the clear choice. Although the tuition is more expensive, Emory is a big name institution with tons of resources that matches really competitively across the country. The more expensive tuition could be seen as an “investment” towards your future goals in that case. On the other hand, if you’re pretty confident that you want to continue to practice in Georgia and aren’t looking into one of the crazy competitive specialities, I think that going to MCG and saving money could be a wise move.

Reactions: 1 users
MCG has a decent match list, take a look at their numbers because it'll help u figure out what you want. Saving money would be a good move but Emory is a top school that's gonna open a lot of doors

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Tell us something about you and what you wanna do you in life, buddy

If you want to stay in the southeast region, MCG has a great reputation with a great price tag, but like others have said Emory will open more doors across the country. Just depends on what you're looking for.

If you want to stay in the southeast region, MCG has a great reputation with a great price tag, but like others have said Emory will open more doors across the country. Just depends on what you're looking for.

Even in the southeast, Emory will open more doors in competitive specialties and at competitive programs within less competitive specialties

Reactions: 1 users
I'm on the same boat--I'm waiting on the financial aid packets but I might be interested in surgical specialty and Emory would be closer so leaning towards Emory!