Emory vs. UW vs. UCLA for health services research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grather888

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm desperate for some "insider" info that can help push me into a school-decision. I'd love to hear anything about the MS programs in health services research, particularly with regard to:
- quality of teaching/learning environment
- research opportunities/availability
- career services (a big one for me)
- ease of continuing in PhD track
- anything else you can think of!

Thanks so much for ANY thoughts you can offer.

Members don't see this ad.

HI Grather888, I am also interested in Health Services Research degrees. Out of curiosity, and to help me get a better understanding of what this kind of degree would help me do, do you mind telling me why you are interested in HSR, what you want to get from the program, why HSR and not epi or biostats, what kind of career you aspire to? I look forward to reading your response.

HI Grather888, I am also interested in Health Services Research degrees. Out of curiosity, and to help me get a better understanding of what this kind of degree would help me do, do you mind telling me why you are interested in HSR, what you want to get from the program, why HSR and not epi or biostats, what kind of career you aspire to? I look forward to reading your response.

I will be in the Department of Health Services at UCLA. Health services at most other schools is called Health Policy & Management. I will be pursuing a MPH with a concentration in health care management. From my understanding a MS in health services research will basically prepare you for entry level research careers, some in government, some in hospitals/health organizations, in think tanks, etc. As I understand most MS students decide to pursue a PhD in Health Services.

Health services research examines how people get access to health care, how much care costs, and what happens to patients as a result of this care. The main goals of health services research are to identify the most effective ways to organize, manage, finance, and deliver high quality care; reduce medical errors; and improve patient safety. (Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, 2002 )

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Passion,
"why you are interested in HSR"
While I was doing some work for a different MS program, I got sidetracked reading the papers that came out of the XSCID gene therapy trials (the french gov. shut down the trials when a couple of the kids got leukemia, despite the fact that the treatment worked like a dream and the complication rate was on par with current treatment protocols). So that got me interested in health outcomes measures, utility, cost effectiveness, etc.

"what you want to get from the program"
I'm headed to Emory (small HSR program stressing methods); I'll likely stay on for a PhD, hoping to turn myself into a research-beast.

"why HSR and not epi or biostats"
HSR encompasses those fields, and others. I want a broader skill-set, even if not as deep. Swiss-army like.

"what kind of career you aspire to"
Not sure. I just like the research problems, and they'll be there whether it's through academia, the gov., or industry. As of now, I'm thinking a career in contract research could be cool.

Thank you so much.

Rampa, you mention that at other schools the department is usually called Health Policy and Research. I have found some schools that focus on health services research in their policy department (such as Columbia, which has a MPH through the Dept of Health Policy and Management with a Effectiveness and Outcomes Research track). However, it seems like most Health Policy and Management departments focus on policy, particularly in the US. Programs named "Health Services Research" seem more focused on the skills behind policy, such as the economics, statistics, epidemiology. I feel like being in a Health Policy department would not look as good as Health services because of the skills associated with health services. Also, studying US policy seems futile, especially now with the health care reform, as it is always changing. Do you have any thoughts on this? I am interested in other perspectives. I have not spoken to a lot of people on this topic, so I honestly do not know about these differences. Thank you.

Thank you so much.

Rampa, you mention that at other schools the department is usually called Health Policy and Research Management. I have found some schools that focus on health services research in their policy department (such as Columbia, which has a MPH through the Dept of Health Policy and Management with a Effectiveness and Outcomes Research track). Columbia actually doesn't have a "policy" department per seHowever, it seems like most Health Policy and Management departments focus on policy, particularly in the US. They actually focus on policy and management, hence the name
Programs named "Health Services Research" seem more focused on the skills behind policy, such as the economics, statistics, epidemiology. I feel like being in a Health Policy & Management? department would not look as good as Health services because of the skills associated with health services.:confused: Also, studying US policy seems futile, especially now with the health care reform, as it is always changing. Do you have any thoughts on this? I am interested in other perspectives. I have not spoken to a lot of people on this topic, so I honestly do not know about these differences. Thank you.

Health Services = Health Policy & Management, just different terms.
As far as I know UCLA and UW are the only schools of public health with a Department named Health Services, while all other schools name the same department HP&M. It seems easier to comprehend what HP&M is versus a vague term such as "health services". The content of the degree is what matters. For example I'm pursuing a MPH in Health Policy & Management that is equivalent to a Master of Health Administration or Master of Health Services Administration or Master of Science in Health Administration or a Master of Science in Health Systems Management, etc, etc. Even at Rollins the Department is called HP&M and it's MS program is in Health Policy and Health Services Research and it's PhD is in Health Services Research and Health Policy. In other words, don't get hung up on the name.

from my research I found that most HP&M departments are structured this way:
MPH in Health Policy & Management, Policy focus/track
MPH in Health Policy & Management, Management focus/track
MS in Health Policy & Management, Research focus
PhD in Health Services

Yes, most programs will focus on US policy as most graduates will go on to work in the states. You'd have to do an international focus, however I'm not sure which schools offer that for policy and/or health services research. When studying US policy you will be exposed to the health systems of other countries to make comparisons. I feel studying US health policy right now is the best time due to a renewed emphasis on health care (which usually means more $ money being spent on research).

Are you wanting to work in health policy/health services research overseas?

I think most of the issues you are encountering have to deal with semantics.

Good luck

If it came down to rankings, I'd look over the USNEWS Public Affairs rankings for health policy & management programs.

Thanks for the help. I really thought I was going to do epi but it seems i am leaning more and more towards health policy & management/ services.

Rampa, you mentioned you are currently in an MPH Health Policy and Management program. Had you given any thought to epi or biostats programs? health economics?

I am doing public health undergrad right now. I feel as though I am not coming away with any skill set. I have taken intro epi, bios, environmental health, social/behavioral aspects of health, and health management at the grad level and a hodgepodge of public health classes undergrad but I do not feel that I have any specific skills. This is why I have been thinking of doing Epi. It seems that you would walk away with a very specific skill set that is recognizable no matter where you go and who you are talking to. What is your experience pursuing an MPH Health Policy and Management? Do people in the field understand what skills you will have with that degree?
Is an MPH in HPM more general, in that you are expected to have a basic understanding of a lot of different skills so that you can better interpret data and information and then apply it to policy? What does an entry-level job look like for an MPH-HPM? What would daily tasks be and what positions would it lead to?

Thank you thank you. I know I just babbled on forever but as you can see I am still confused about what I want to do for my masters and I dont know much about either field. I would love any insight.