Emory vs. Vanderbilt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tyronebiggums

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which school would you go to if you were accepted to both and why? What are the strengths and weaknesses of each school? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

the only major advantage that Emory has over Vanderbilt is that Atlanta is a bigger city than Nashville. otherwise, Vandy seems to edge out on Emory because of how focused the school is on the students. I got the impression that at Vanderbilt, more so than any other school I visited, the students were the center of the medical school, making for an extremely supportive environment.

in the end, they are both really good, and financial aid packages might be the best way to decide between the two schools.

Yeah I am wondering how they compare reputation wise for residencies and what the relative emphases are on research and academic medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I am wondering how they compare reputation wise for residencies and what the relative emphases are on research and academic medicine.

I'm not terribly familiar with Emory's curriculum, but I know that Vandy has something called the "Emphasis Program" where you do your own research project and everyone gets mentored which can do nothing but help your future residency application. Vandy definitely seems to be oriented toward research.

Speaking of Emory, has anyone heard if Emory is going to keep their ABCDF system of grading? I know there is a new curriculum overhaul and when I interviewed they told me they hadn't decided yet. Anybody know?

I'm not terribly familiar with Emory's curriculum, but I know that Vandy has something called the "Emphasis Program" where you do your own research project and everyone gets mentored which can do nothing but help your future residency application. Vandy definitely seems to be oriented toward research.

Yeah that's what I've heard as well. Emory's is pretty identical. There is a 5 month "discovery phase" in the new curriculum where you must do some original research (basic science, clinical, or public health study) under an advisor and submit some kind of paper/abstract/poster from it. Emory is fairly research focused and very speciality focused from what I've heard from current students and from my visit. Vandy's pretty similar I believe, but don't know as much about it.

I interviewed at both schools, and felt that Vanderbilt was definitely more research-oriented. Emphasis was two years and you can do it for longer if you want. You also have to spend the summer between first and second years doing research (Vandy also receives more money from NIH for research). The new medical school at Emory looks like it'll be REALLY nice and the students all seemed nice and friendly. In terms of reputation, it all really depends on what you define as reputation because different schools excel in different things (i.e. Vanderbilt is very strong in transplant and neuroscience). On the whole, both are great schools but I felt Vandy may edge Emory out just looking at residency placements and the overall national acclaim of its hospital system and attendings. But it's really a personal choice and you can't go wrong at either.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm pretty much making the same decision -- where's the poll?! ;)

I feel like Vandy is getting the edge as others have posted, but I'm going to try to hit up both second looks. It's going to be hard since they're back to back though. Are you going to try to do this as well? I'm still waiting to receive info on events from both (wish they'd get on it).

Edit: Oh I see you're waitlisted. Good luck :)

I really want emory to send out some more specific information about their curriculum. I think both of them are great schools and I would give Vandy a slight edge for "name recognition" and possibly residency placements. I don't have as good a feel for the students and hospitals at Vandy as I did on Emory's very in-depth interview day. I wish both schools would publish USMLE step 1 scores. Does anyone have any data on the board scores for both?

I don't know Emory's, but one of the students at Vandy said their average typically flucuates around 15-20 points above national mean (~232-237). This would place their Step 1 score as one of the top in the country, which would explain their match list. But of course, going to a particular school won't guarantee a high step score, per se--it's a combination of how stuff is taught and the student body.

I do agree Vandy didn't give a very good tour of their hospitals--I was in an interview when the tour happened!! =( But my interviewer took me on a mini tour, so it was OK. Seems like a great hospital system!

I assume Vandy has nice hospitals and great students but I didn't get an in-depth exposure to either of them. At Emory I met about 20 students and spent hours in their hospitals. I definitely have a better idea about what being a medical student for 4 years will be like at Emory. I don't have a great idea about what being a Vandy student will be like for 3rd and 4th year, nor did I meet many students. I liked the Vandy students I met but it is hard to say if it is a good fit for me after meeting only 5 students. I got a brief tour of the children's hospital at Vandy but I have no idea what it would be like to do a rotation there because the tour guide was not a 3rd or 4th year like the tour guide at Emory.

I vote for Vandy on this one. I think that Nashville is a more interesting city, better undergraduate sports at Vanderbilt, better looking girls, and better med facilities at Vanderbilt. So, yeah, I would choose Vandy.

From what I gather, doing rotations at Vanderbilt is a GOOD experience. The school is known for its ability to relate and connect to students at all levels, and while I've read quality of teaching in different clerkship varies considerably at Vandy, the general consensus is the clinical education there is great--students are the center as someone earlier mentioned. Both schools have level 1 trauma centers, so you'll see a lot of diverse cases. Go to second-look weekend and you'll see the schools more in depth. That I heard helps a lot.

I also saw a ton of Emory students at my interview--it helps when there's free food and the waiting area is right in the open =). Vanderbilt should definitely encourage more students to come and visit interviewees. But I went to Vandy when first-years had an anatomy test that day so that would help explain the utter lack of happy students there that day =).

Members don't see this ad :)
I assume Vandy has nice hospitals and great students but I didn't get an in-depth exposure to either of them. At Emory I met about 20 students and spent hours in their hospitals. I definitely have a better idea about what being a medical student for 4 years will be like at Emory. I don't have a great idea about what being a Vandy student will be like for 3rd and 4th year, nor did I meet many students. I liked the Vandy students I met but it is hard to say if it is a good fit for me after meeting only 5 students. I got a brief tour of the children's hospital at Vandy but I have no idea what it would be like to do a rotation there because the tour guide was not a 3rd or 4th year like the tour guide at Emory.

at my interview day i was told Emory's STEP 1 avg from last year was low 230's. they teach extremely well for the boards, as does vandy of course.

It seems like Emory and Vanderbilt as so similar. So then where would you go if you had to choose?

Between those two, Vanderbilt for the reasons stated earlier. I liked its atmosphere more, its facilities more, its curriculum more, and its emphasis on research more. Having an anatomy professor who is editor of Netter's and co-author of Moore helps too =). Both are great schools--I'm sure you'll be happy at either.

Oh yeah, and the grading is P/F at Vandy...I think that's a big plus for it compared to the traditional ABCD at Emory (even though this might change soon)

Between those two, Vanderbilt for the reasons stated earlier. I liked its atmosphere more, its facilities more, its curriculum more, and its emphasis on research more. Having an anatomy professor who is editor of Netter's and co-author of Moore helps too =). Both are great schools--I'm sure you'll be happy at either.

Oh yeah, and the grading is P/F at Vandy...I think that's a big plus for it compared to the traditional ABCD at Emory (even though this might change soon)
vandy is p/f only first year. 2nd year is H/P/F, but it's still way laid back. You all will find in med school you study how you study and still usually get the same score. Some people study less and do a lot better and others a lot worse. Some people will get Honors and everyone else will pass. It's not a real competitive thing. Just a way for very gifted students to show off a little. I'd like it pass/fail all four years, but don't see that happening. 3rd and 4th year are H/HP/P/F.

To the OP I'd go with vandy except if you want a larger city.

It seems like Emory and Vanderbilt as so similar. So then where would you go if you had to choose?

Emory - the ATL, baby!

Seriously, though, I think they are very comparable schools. There is a lot of money at Emory and they are spending it on the students. That was impressive to me. I liked my interviewers and I felt like the students were cool.

They are both close, but I think Vandy definately wins out. It has a better location, better campus, better reputation, better (more competitive) students, better facilities, better sports and even better interview day food. So all things being equal, like scholarship/financial aid $$, Vanderbilt wins by a close yet significant margin.

Reactions: 1 user
Vanderbilt -- the Emory atmosphere just doesn't send me good vibes.

I agree with the others that either way it's a good choice. Vanderbilt might have a slight edge due to its renowned faculty members, nih money... etc... Emory does not fall short either. Just last year Emory received 261 million from Coca Cola.. I'm sure Emory has a ton of NIH money too... From what I heard from Emory students, Emory ranks in the top 5 in terms of endowment. If you've ever been to Emory long enough, you'll definitely know that money is definitely not something that the school has to worry about... which is a good thing.

However, from comparing both schools, I find that Emory definitely has unique characteristics that allows for students to explore different areas of medicine rather than just focusing on either academic, primary care, or specialties. For example, if you're interested in international health, you can easily get a mph degree or do research at the CDC. Futher from reading what desidr posted in an earlier thread they want to strenghten the international emphasis with this new curriculum. If international health is something you're interested in then Emory would be a great place for you to explore those options. If your interests lies in research, there are plenty of opportunities for you to do that too: Yerkes, Woodruff health Sciences resarch Lab, white head, cutting edge chemistry research (they invented the new HIV drug Emtriva).

Also, set to happen in the next 5-10 years, Emory University is going to rebuild their medical complex. What this probably means is better facilities and the need for more academics (possibly world renowned ones too). Thus, in my opinion Emory will catch up to other schools in the very near future.

As an aside, for all those considering Vanderbilt, they moved up the class schedule from last year. Orientation is Aug. 2 and 3, and first day of class is Aug. 6 due to the new curriculum. White coat ceremony is now Aug. 17.

Emory has a much better MBA program and I believe you go tuition free (though I gather most schools are doing that now). That said, Nashville is probably a nicer city.