Emory Waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flabergaber

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I am currently waiting (and praying!) to get off the Emory waitlist. Anyone else on the same boat? Thought I'd start a thread for other people who are waiting. I called and found out we probably shouldn't expect to hear until June. The wait is crazy! But I think Emory is worth it :love:

Members don't see this ad.

Ditto that. I'm on a few otherwaits, but Emory is #1 in my book.

Ooh, me three! I would LOVE to go to Emory! Pick me!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, just thought I'd let you know I withdrew from Emory yesterday, so a spot just opened up. I really loved Emory, but I just couldn't go because of finances. So, best of luck to you guys! Emory is a great school!

i hope we all hear something next week even though they said June!

Hey guys, just thought I'd let you know I withdrew from Emory yesterday, so a spot just opened up. I really loved Emory, but I just couldn't go because of finances. So, best of luck to you guys! Emory is a great school!
I also withdrew the other day, and I agree with everything you said. Good luck everyone!

I'm also waiting and would love to be at Emory in the fall!:D

I just withdrew an acceptance as well. Good luck everyone, Emory seemed like a fantastic place.

Yes - I'm waiting to see if I get pulled off of the list too!!!! I REALLY WANT TO ATTEND EMORY!!!!

there's always a chance... just not until june

I wish we knew how many people where on the waitlist or relative positions. Even though they will be influenced by our persistence, I am sure they have some internal ranking. I have another acceptance but really want to go to Emory so I am in limbo about buying housing and preparing for next year. I know I am in a good position to at least have an acceptance but still...can't help but want more right? :p

I wish we knew how many people where on the waitlist or relative positions. Even though they will be influenced by our persistence, I am sure they have some internal ranking. I have another acceptance but really want to go to Emory so I am in limbo about buying housing and preparing for next year. I know I am in a good position to at least have an acceptance but still...can't help but want more right? :p

Hi, best of luck on the waitlist movement! I think they will definitely be swayed with persistence and letters of interest/intent. :)

I wonder when do they actually start pulling people of the waitlist--I heard they accepted almost double the number of slots they have, so it might be a while.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder when do they actually start pulling people of the waitlist--I heard they accepted almost double the number of slots they have, so it might be a while.
nobody off waitlist until at least late may. i hate to hope people turn down emory, but that's exactly what i'm hoping. I have to say looking for housing in July would be stressful, but it'll be worth it to get into Emory, for me anyway.

Anybody else here like me and also accepted at their cheaper state school, thinking about if Emory is worth like double the debt? :rolleyes:

Anybody else here like me and also accepted at their cheaper state school, thinking about if Emory is worth like double the debt? :rolleyes:

I am in the same boat...right now going to my state school, but at the same time very happy with the school and know I will get a quality education in all aspects. Emory is an awesome place and at this point, it is getting a bit late to pick up and leave if accepted. But keeping the school in mind, Emory for me is hard to turn down, and I too am eager to see what will happen with this waitlist.

I'm right there with you...15K vs. 40K per year...do waitlisters get any kind of grant/scholarships from Emory? I guess we'll see soon enough.

I withdrew from Emory last week after wrestling with this exact scenario. It really is a tough call--Emory is fantastic and ATL has resources galore, but ultimatley (for me) it came down to the $30,000 difference each year. I think that it is easy to forget about the impact of this amount of debt, and granted it CAN be paid off, but I recognized that it would greatly affect my future decision-making, i.e. having to sign on with a loan-repayment program of sorts, such as the NHS, immediately following graduation. Second, I am in a relationship that I am dearly fond of, so when I think about a future with this person, I want to protect it from the negative impact of debt and not allow the cost of my education to affect where we can live, the type of house we can afford, etc, any more than it already will.

So, all-in-all, I think the decision depends on so much--what area of medicine you are passionate about, what type of support system you have in your present location (if that is where you would be, in attending your state school), and wholistically looking at what you want your life to look like in 5-10 years. If you don't mind working those $$ off in whatever capacity it takes, then the $120,000 difference won't be too much of a problem. But for me, the decision to go to Emory would have been a whole lot of change + a whole lot of money + a whole lot of uncertainty for the future, and although I LOVED EMORY and wrestling with the 2 options was torcherous, I am at peace with the one I made (to stay at UNC-CH).

I apologize for the soapbox and the novel I just wrote, but it really was one of the most challenging decisions I have ever had to make, so if you feel the same way, don't hesitate to PM me and I'd be happy to share a little more of my own insight (if that's what you can call it!! :) )

I withdrew from Emory last week after wrestling with this exact scenario. It really is a tough call--Emory is fantastic and ATL has resources galore, but ultimatley (for me) it came down to the $30,000 difference each year. I think that it is easy to forget about the impact of this amount of debt, and granted it CAN be paid off, but I recognized that it would greatly affect my future decision-making, i.e. having to sign on with a loan-repayment program of sorts, such as the NHS, immediately following graduation. Second, I am in a relationship that I am dearly fond of, so when I think about a future with this person, I want to protect it from the negative impact of debt and not allow the cost of my education to affect where we can live, the type of house we can afford, etc, any more than it already will.

So, all-in-all, I think the decision depends on so much--what area of medicine you are passionate about, what type of support system you have in your present location (if that is where you would be, in attending your state school), and wholistically looking at what you want your life to look like in 5-10 years. If you don't mind working those $$ off in whatever capacity it takes, then the $120,000 difference won't be too much of a problem. But for me, the decision to go to Emory would have been a whole lot of change + a whole lot of money + a whole lot of uncertainty for the future, and although I LOVED EMORY and wrestling with the 2 options was torcherous, I am at peace with the one I made (to stay at UNC-CH).

I apologize for the soapbox and the novel I just wrote, but it really was one of the most challenging decisions I have ever had to make, so if you feel the same way, don't hesitate to PM me and I'd be happy to share a little more of my own insight (if that's what you can call it!! :) )

Wow thanks for that! it's interesting/comforting to hear other people struggling with the same decisions. I've gone from desperately wanting to go to Emory, to considering going to my state school even if I got off the waitlist. It seems like everybody on SDN gives the advice to go to the cheapest school, unless perhaps its a top ten, or if you want to go into research of course that's different. And almost every doctor I've talked to said state schools are the way to go. But right now if I got off the waitlist I'd probably go to emory for a bunch of other random reasons. And pirata, I almost certain waitlisters won't get any scholarsihips or grants, but maybe financial aid.

Medical College of Georgia, it's a solid state school and it's only like 14k a yr.

hey,

my state school is also mcg. i actually liked both schools. i didn't like mcg as much until i went back and took a second tour and talked to some students. they were really nice and just as motivated and smart as people i met at emory. and looking around other parts of augusta, i think it would be a fine place to live. i know the whole debt issue is a tough call, but you can't go wrong with either school.

Good lord!!! no news about any movement at Emory yet or we just don"t know??

An ADCOM guy told me it'd be early June probably :(

they're still oversubscribed (as of 5/23 from Director of Admissions), so don't get your hopes up too high.

Crap, where'd you find that out? I wonder what they would do about that too.....

AHHHHHH :smuggrin: , What the hell???? this royally sucks

I just called and double checked, the class IS still "overbooked" and they do not anticipate any movement (if any) till june.

I just called and double checked, the class IS still "overbooked" and they do not anticipate any movement (if any) till june.

Thanks asieslavida for calling! Stay tune folks!!!!

heyy all,

I have been off SDN for a while with graduation and post-graduation celebrations but I am back to constantly checking on emory waitlist updates. I have also gotten into my state school (UMB) and even though I am actively trying to get off the Emory waitlist, I think that in the end I would not be able to afford it especially since they don't give as much aid to waitlisters. I love UMB too but wanted to get away for personal reasons (been living here forever, already know a good chunk of the UMB entering class, more interested in public health and research, etc.). But because of the overfilled Emory class and the $$ issues, I have actually already started looking for housing in Bmore... I don't want to get stuck scrambling. Such tough choices...

It seems that prospects for waitlist movement keep getting moved later and later...aah, that sucks :(

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!:thumbup:

if it helps i'm planning to give up my spot at emory tomorrow.

happy memorial day.

It's not looking bad either... they told all of us who called them that it is likely they won't start moving the waitlist until sometime this month... it's only 6/1! And besides, most of us (i think) are holding another acceptance, so it's not as if everything's riding on this alt list...
speak for yourself!

No movement expected till the end of june....

are you kidding me? did you call or something? That's ridiculous, I picked the wrong year to apply to Emory. I bet they are worried they are going to have more students than they can accomadate by now. A few months ago I thought I had like a 70% chance of getting off the waitlist, now 10%. :(

a friend who was at the emory weekend last week told em that the class then was 136 for 132 spots according to erica...soooooooo i can't tell if that means theres hope or not..how many people are still pulling out at this time

Admissions Office not avalible this week (no phone, email, fax..) ....they are making the move into the new building.

njshibby, how reliable are these numbers you think?

Admissions Office not avalible this week (no phone, email, fax..) ....they are making the move into the new building.

njshibby, how reliable are these numbers you think?
i'd also like to know how reliable those numbers are, but more importantly, how quickly will numbers like that tend to change since we're already in june. Anyone have any historical suggestions?

I'm not a student at Emory normally, but this summer I'm doing research here and living on campus. I can't help with any specific medical school questions but I can help with questions regarding the campus (environment, culture, fun-factor, restaurants, safety, etc). Feel free to ask.

Called today and still no movement...at this point, I anticipate there will be very little movement if any. The class is still overbooked and with the fact that there is a new building and a new curricullum, it seems to be a long shot...

yea, if the waitlist moves at all it will probably only take less than like 3 people. So with great saddness I'm just going to bank on attending else where. It's not worth the energy for such a slim slim chance. This whole thing has been dragging out for 8 months now and I'm tired of it, it's been emotionally draining.

still overbooked last time I heard, not long ago... Emory is my first choice, sadly it looks like it won't happen for me this year.

thought this could use a bump, anyone get any info lately?